Jump to content

[Min KSP 1.12.X] Sandcastle: 3D printing for parts and vessels


Angel-125
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Hohmannson Thanks! :) Setting up the plugin to do that grid was a pain, but I'm glad it worked out. What other types of panels were you thinking of? I've considered panels like those from Making History, and a set like DSEV's MMOD panels, but I haven't figured out the best way to do that yet.

Meanwhile, I'm proud to announce that Sandcastle 1.0 is now available!

@HebaruSan May I request your assistance with adding Sandcastle to CKAN? The mod only needs Module Manager as a requirement, and recommends Extraplanetary Launchpads. It supports WildBlueTools, but WBT isn't required.

Changes

NOTE: This release will need an update from Extraplanetary Launchpads in order for the survey cones and the cone dispenser to work properly.

New Parts

- Quicksand 3D Print Shop: The size of the stock Hitchhiker, this print shop is able to print small cargo items. It can be used as an Extraplanetary Launchpads workshop that also produces Rocket Parts.

- Sandcastle 3D Print Shop: This module is Size 2 (2.5m diameter) and it has a large 3D printer that's capable of printing objects up to the size of the FL-TX1800 Fuel Tank. It can be used as an Extraplanetary Launchpads workshop that also produces Rocket Parts.

- UHC-4K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 4,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- UHC-8K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 8,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- UHC-16K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 16,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- MS-37 Yard Frame: Inspired by the shipyard from Star Trek The Motion Picture, this Modular Shipyard component is a Size 3 (3.75m) panel that lets you configure it like a grid in order to keep the part count down. It also has angled variants.

- MS-75 Yard Frame: Inspired by the shipyard from Star Trek The Motion Picture, this Modular Shipyard component is a Size 5 (7.5m) panel that lets you configure it like a grid in order to keep the part count down. It also has angled variants.

- MS-L Lighting Panel: This panel provides lighting for your orbital shipyard's construction projects.

- EB-1V Variable Extension Boom: Similar to the stock girder, this is designed for robot arms that are used to build spacecraft. Its length can vary.

Extraplanetary Launchpad Parts

NOTE: These parts are only available if you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed.

- Sand Caster 3D Printer: This automated 3D printer is capable of creating whole vessels and bases without the need for kerbals on site. It will be slower than having kerbals around, but it will get the job done. it is designed for ground-based operations, and it's inspired by NASA's 3D habitat concept printers.

- EL-M Construction Marker: Equivalent to the Extraplanetary Launchpads' KS-MP Disposable Pad, the Konstruction Marker depicts where new builds will be added to the vessel. The Marker will be consumed when the new assembly is attached. It can be placed into stock inventories.

- STK-1 Survey Cone: Functionally equivalent to the KS-BBQ Survey Stake, the Survey Cone can be placed in stock inventories. It marks where new constructions will appear.

- CD-10 Cone Dispenser: This dispenser holds 10 Survey Cones and can both drop them on the ground and pick them up again without the need for a kerbal.

- EL-OCD Construction Manipulator: Equivalent to the Extraplanetary Launchpads' KS-OCD Orbital Construction Dock, the Konstruction Manipulator enables shipyards to build new vessels in orbit.

- EL-MTL Smelter: This is a Size 2 part that is designed to convert Metal Ore into Metal, and Scrap Metal into Metal.

- ELC-8 Rocket Parts Container: This Size 2 container holds up to 1,600 Rocket Parts. If you have Wild Blue Tools installed, then it becomes an omni storage container with an 8,000 L capacity. If you don't have Wild Blue Tools but you have B9PartSwitch, then it can switch between Rocket Parts, Metal, Scrap Metal, and Metal Ore.

Plugin

- WBIPrintShop and WBICargoRecycler now support animations when operating.
- You can now add the removeResources field to a part config. Setting removeResources = false will prevent the print shop from removing resources when it prints a part and places it into an inventory.
- WBIPrintShop now supports part variants.
- WBIPrintShop now supports Community Category Kit.
- ModulePartGridVariants: This new part module supports mesh grids.
- ModuleCargoDispenser: This part module lets you drop cargo parts from an inventory onto the ground or release them into space. No kerbal needed.
- ModuleCargoGrabber: This part module lets you pick up cargo parts and place them into an inventory. No kerbal needed.
- ModuleDefaultInventoryStack: ModuleInventoryPart's DEFAULTPARTS doesn't support stacked parts. This part module gets around the problem by maxing out the default all the parts' stack sizes when the part is first loaded into the editor.
- ModuleStorablePart: This is just a thinly veiled ModuleCargoPart that enables parts to both have an inventory and to be placed in an inventory. Without this module, parts cannot have both a ModuleInventoryPart and a ModuleCargoPart.
- Sandcastle will generate part thumbnail images for cargo parts and their variants when you enter the space center scene. NOTE: Please give Sandcastle a few moments to generate these images when you start the game after applying this update. Subsequent starts won't take long since the images will already be generated.

Patches

- Disabled the Module Manager patch that added a 3D printer to the stock science lab. This was always intended to be temporary until Sandcastle had custom parts. If you want this functionality back, go to the Sandcastle/Patches folder and rename ScienceLab3DPrinter from .txt to .cfg.

- HorizontalPrintShops: Rename this from .txt to .cfg to use a horizontally orented IVA in the print shops.

- OmniStorage: Adds omni storage capacity for the Cargo Storage Units and the Rocket Parts Kontainer if Wild Blue Tools is installed.

- B9PS: Adds additional resource storage options to the Rocket Parts Kontainer if B9 Part Switch is installed and Wild Blue Tools isn't installed.

Known Issues

- When a printer finishes printing a part and placing it in the inventory, the image might not appear. This appears to be an issue with the stock inventory module.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@HebaruSan May I request your assistance with adding Sandcastle to CKAN? The mod only needs Module Manager as a requirement, and recommends Extraplanetary Launchpads. It supports WildBlueTools, but WBT isn't required.

These, too? I see NFP's folder in the ZIP's GameData; if it's always supposed to be installed, that would translate into a depends relationship in CKAN.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:13 PM, Angel-125 said:

Near Future Props by Nertea, licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0


Recommended Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

These, too? I see NFP's folder in the ZIP's GameData; if it's always supposed to be installed, that would translate into a depends relationship in CKAN.

Yes, you're quite right. NFP is a requirement, and I recommend @linuxgurugamer's KSP Part Volumes too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@Hohmannson Thanks! :) Setting up the plugin to do that grid was a pain, but I'm glad it worked out. What other types of panels were you thinking of? I've considered panels like those from Making History, and a set like DSEV's MMOD panels, but I haven't figured out the best way to do that yet.

Meanwhile, I'm proud to announce that Sandcastle 1.0 is now available!

@HebaruSan May I request your assistance with adding Sandcastle to CKAN? The mod only needs Module Manager as a requirement, and recommends Extraplanetary Launchpads. It supports WildBlueTools, but WBT isn't required.

Changes

NOTE: This release will need an update from Extraplanetary Launchpads in order for the survey cones and the cone dispenser to work properly.

New Parts

- Quicksand 3D Print Shop: The size of the stock Hitchhiker, this print shop is able to print small cargo items. It can be used as an Extraplanetary Launchpads workshop that also produces Rocket Parts.

- Sandcastle 3D Print Shop: This module is Size 2 (2.5m diameter) and it has a large 3D printer that's capable of printing objects up to the size of the FL-TX1800 Fuel Tank. It can be used as an Extraplanetary Launchpads workshop that also produces Rocket Parts.

- UHC-4K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 4,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- UHC-8K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 8,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- UHC-16K Cargo Storage Unit: This Size 2 (2.5m diameter) part stores 16,000l of stock cargo items in 24 slots.

- MS-37 Yard Frame: Inspired by the shipyard from Star Trek The Motion Picture, this Modular Shipyard component is a Size 3 (3.75m) panel that lets you configure it like a grid in order to keep the part count down. It also has angled variants.

- MS-75 Yard Frame: Inspired by the shipyard from Star Trek The Motion Picture, this Modular Shipyard component is a Size 5 (7.5m) panel that lets you configure it like a grid in order to keep the part count down. It also has angled variants.

- MS-L Lighting Panel: This panel provides lighting for your orbital shipyard's construction projects.

- EB-1V Variable Extension Boom: Similar to the stock girder, this is designed for robot arms that are used to build spacecraft. Its length can vary.

Extraplanetary Launchpad Parts

NOTE: These parts are only available if you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed.

- Sand Caster 3D Printer: This automated 3D printer is capable of creating whole vessels and bases without the need for kerbals on site. It will be slower than having kerbals around, but it will get the job done. it is designed for ground-based operations, and it's inspired by NASA's 3D habitat concept printers.

- EL-M Construction Marker: Equivalent to the Extraplanetary Launchpads' KS-MP Disposable Pad, the Konstruction Marker depicts where new builds will be added to the vessel. The Marker will be consumed when the new assembly is attached. It can be placed into stock inventories.

- STK-1 Survey Cone: Functionally equivalent to the KS-BBQ Survey Stake, the Survey Cone can be placed in stock inventories. It marks where new constructions will appear.

- CD-10 Cone Dispenser: This dispenser holds 10 Survey Cones and can both drop them on the ground and pick them up again without the need for a kerbal.

- EL-OCD Construction Manipulator: Equivalent to the Extraplanetary Launchpads' KS-OCD Orbital Construction Dock, the Konstruction Manipulator enables shipyards to build new vessels in orbit.

- EL-MTL Smelter: This is a Size 2 part that is designed to convert Metal Ore into Metal, and Scrap Metal into Metal.

- ELC-8 Rocket Parts Container: This Size 2 container holds up to 1,600 Rocket Parts. If you have Wild Blue Tools installed, then it becomes an omni storage container with an 8,000 L capacity. If you don't have Wild Blue Tools but you have B9PartSwitch, then it can switch between Rocket Parts, Metal, Scrap Metal, and Metal Ore.

Plugin

- WBIPrintShop and WBICargoRecycler now support animations when operating.
- You can now add the removeResources field to a part config. Setting removeResources = false will prevent the print shop from removing resources when it prints a part and places it into an inventory.
- WBIPrintShop now supports part variants.
- WBIPrintShop now supports Community Category Kit.
- ModulePartGridVariants: This new part module supports mesh grids.
- ModuleCargoDispenser: This part module lets you drop cargo parts from an inventory onto the ground or release them into space. No kerbal needed.
- ModuleCargoGrabber: This part module lets you pick up cargo parts and place them into an inventory. No kerbal needed.
- ModuleDefaultInventoryStack: ModuleInventoryPart's DEFAULTPARTS doesn't support stacked parts. This part module gets around the problem by maxing out the default all the parts' stack sizes when the part is first loaded into the editor.
- ModuleStorablePart: This is just a thinly veiled ModuleCargoPart that enables parts to both have an inventory and to be placed in an inventory. Without this module, parts cannot have both a ModuleInventoryPart and a ModuleCargoPart.
- Sandcastle will generate part thumbnail images for cargo parts and their variants when you enter the space center scene. NOTE: Please give Sandcastle a few moments to generate these images when you start the game after applying this update. Subsequent starts won't take long since the images will already be generated.

Patches

- Disabled the Module Manager patch that added a 3D printer to the stock science lab. This was always intended to be temporary until Sandcastle had custom parts. If you want this functionality back, go to the Sandcastle/Patches folder and rename ScienceLab3DPrinter from .txt to .cfg.

- HorizontalPrintShops: Rename this from .txt to .cfg to use a horizontally orented IVA in the print shops.

- OmniStorage: Adds omni storage capacity for the Cargo Storage Units and the Rocket Parts Kontainer if Wild Blue Tools is installed.

- B9PS: Adds additional resource storage options to the Rocket Parts Kontainer if B9 Part Switch is installed and Wild Blue Tools isn't installed.

Known Issues

- When a printer finishes printing a part and placing it in the inventory, the image might not appear. This appears to be an issue with the stock inventory module.

Awesome! Can’t wait to slap it in my install!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

other types of panels

Solid panels, functionally same to BGs(can be just your existing panel without visual holes), and, maybe, glass panels(same frame, but without central square). Also, have you played with the pinnacle of EL's functionality - launch clamps that hold buildings onto the ground?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am getting errors when trying to place the 3d printer parts in the vab.  probably a conflict with something else I have installed.  I get the "An item with the same key has already been added." when trying to place one, and after that basically everything is broken and clicking on any part throws an NRE.  

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ALt-RNsvZ2e5Se6QvxIkldpOECz8PeQj/view?usp=sharing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

I am getting errors when trying to place the 3d printer parts in the vab.  probably a conflict with something else I have installed.  I get the "An item with the same key has already been added." when trying to place one, and after that basically everything is broken and clicking on any part throws an NRE.  

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ALt-RNsvZ2e5Se6QvxIkldpOECz8PeQj/view?usp=sharing

Do you have steps to reproduce this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Do you have steps to reproduce this?

I added sandcastle and EPL to my install via CKAN.  Launch the game and start a new sandbox and go to VAB, I recorded a video with console open.   

here is the log from that test.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s03oRpD06WLG8n-847WAXTpk3Pn-q0Uq/view?usp=sharing

also, here is the config cache so you can check if one of my other mods is doing something bad to the part definition. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BHvZdNR9miv865DsoKy2d3jtEtfOmAMK/view?usp=sharing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • EL-M Construction Marker is not hidden if there is no the Extraplanetary Launchpad Parts 
    and it nodes reverted (in the construction mode on the surface attached marker other part tries to connect on wrong side, without the writings )
  • Cargo/boxOfGenericSpecializedParts/boxOfGenericSpecializedParts/
    Cargo/elSurveyConeDispenser/coneDispenser/
    Cargo/elSurveyCone/surveyCone
    Cargo/KonstructionMarker/konstructionMarker

    more like Utility category
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, myste_rae said:

Holy crap, this is awesome. So excited to play with it!

Glad you like the mod. :) It's something that I've wanted for a couple of years and finally got around to making.

7 hours ago, eberkain said:

I added sandcastle and EPL to my install via CKAN.  Launch the game and start a new sandbox and go to VAB, I recorded a video with console open.   

here is the log from that test.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s03oRpD06WLG8n-847WAXTpk3Pn-q0Uq/view?usp=sharing

also, here is the config cache so you can check if one of my other mods is doing something bad to the part definition. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BHvZdNR9miv865DsoKy2d3jtEtfOmAMK/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the video and logs. The issue appears to be the result of Sandcastle finding multiple Item entries for Community Category Kit's Rovers category. I'm not sure what causes that except maybe one or more of your mods adds the duplicate CCK categories. Regardless, I've done some changes on my end to prevent duplicate entries of CCK being added to Sandcastle's icon set. Can you give 1.0.1 a try?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the video and logs. The issue appears to be the result of Sandcastle finding multiple Item entries for Community Category Kit's Rovers category. I'm not sure what causes that except maybe one or more of your mods adds the duplicate CCK categories. Regardless, I've done some changes on my end to prevent duplicate entries of CCK being added to Sandcastle's icon set. Can you give 1.0.1 a try?

My guess would be the Kerbetrotter Ltd Feline Utility Rovers. It looks (from the log) like eberkain has that installed and it for whatever reason tries to add its own version of the rovers category to CCK in addition to the one found in CCKCommonFilterConfig. CCK ignores this as it won't add duplicate categories (presumably to prevent conflicts when multiple mods try to add the same category).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the video and logs. The issue appears to be the result of Sandcastle finding multiple Item entries for Community Category Kit's Rovers category. I'm not sure what causes that except maybe one or more of your mods adds the duplicate CCK categories. Regardless, I've done some changes on my end to prevent duplicate entries of CCK being added to Sandcastle's icon set. Can you give 1.0.1 a try?

Seems to be working great now, thanks for looking into it.  Great looking mod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Glad you like the mod. :) It's something that I've wanted for a couple of years and finally got around to making.

I've seen  the thread a few times in the last few weeks, I'm thrilled to see the full release! Honestly it's exactly what I was hoping for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, Angel-125 said:

ZHaMYcR.png

 

I love all the artwork you did for this mod, really great job.  

What was the reasoning behind the one arm having a tiny robot with tiny arms on it?  Just seems really out of place compared to everything else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I love all the artwork you did for this mod, really great job.  

What was the reasoning behind the one arm having a tiny robot with tiny arms on it?  Just seems really out of place compared to everything else. 

Dextre.jpgEA7FC9F3-B9A2-40FC-B663-863B63

That part was inspired by Dextre. The hands and cameras are there so that kerbals don't have to go outside for a spacewalk and can just remotely do things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a bit of a play with this and it all looks good apart from a couple of minor things.

  1. The part description of the Sandcaster 3D printer need fixing (it starts #LOC_SANDCASTLE....), I think you've missed a something in Sandcaster.cfg
  2. Is the any reason that the SurveyCone can't have ModuleGroundPart added if KIS isn't installed. I'm a bit annoyed that the EL survey stake just falls over if I don't have KIS and therefore I can't use it (and as far as I can see ONLY that), but making the Cone a ground part allows me to do surveyed stuff without KIS. I put a quick and dirty patch in (more of less copied from EL survey stake) and it all seems to work apart from the issue that the cone self destructed when the MK1 Cockpit I was building tried to occupy the same location but I don't know if this is an issue with what I did, Sandcastle or EL (it certainly stopped happening when I added legs to get the cockpit off the ground).

(After having written this, I did test and I can drop the Survey cone with an engineer in EVA construction mode, so #2 isn't quite as important, but it would be useful for non-engineers)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Robin Patenall said:

Had a bit of a play with this and it all looks good apart from a couple of minor things.

  1. The part description of the Sandcaster 3D printer need fixing (it starts #LOC_SANDCASTLE....), I think you've missed a something in Sandcaster.cfg
  2. Is the any reason that the SurveyCone can't have ModuleGroundPart added if KIS isn't installed. I'm a bit annoyed that the EL survey stake just falls over if I don't have KIS and therefore I can't use it (and as far as I can see ONLY that), but making the Cone a ground part allows me to do surveyed stuff without KIS. I put a quick and dirty patch in (more of less copied from EL survey stake) and it all seems to work apart from the issue that the cone self destructed when the MK1 Cockpit I was building tried to occupy the same location but I don't know if this is an issue with what I did, Sandcastle or EL (it certainly stopped happening when I added legs to get the cockpit off the ground).

(After having written this, I did test and I can drop the Survey cone with an engineer in EVA construction mode, so #2 isn't quite as important, but it would be useful for non-engineers)

Thanks for the feedback. Please give 1.0.2 a try, that should clear up the description issues and let non-engineers drop the survey cones.

3LCpGYb.png

For the issue with the command pod, as I recall you need multiple survey stakes /survey cones in order to find a center point where the new vessel will go. That's why the dispenser has 10 survey cones- and why, when you're done building or you want to pick up and move, the dispenser can sweep them up again. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...