Shot for the moon

Your mission, should you accept, is to launch a craft from the surface of any planet and hit the surface of any moon. However there are a few condition:

1. Any active engine should be at 100% thrust.
  2. You are not allowed to give steering commands
  3. You are not allowed to use thrust limit, deployment angle and authority limit to circumvent rule 1 and rule 2

You can report the success in any way you like, there is no "official" scoring, but entrants are encouraged to include images and statistics.

And, for the sake of completeness, there is my boring entry:

Hall of Fame:

@QF9E Hit The Mun from Kerbin.   In the face!!

@xendelaar The gunslinger Hit The Mun from Kerbin.   In the face!!

Edited by Spricigo

Neat little challenge. My rocket consisted of a single Clydesdale, launched vertically. The Clydesdale has more than enough dv to escape Kerbin if launched vertically, so the only remaining issue is when to launch it. With some trial and error I determined that Y5 D225 02:40:00 would be a good launch time, and here's the result.

13 hours ago, camacju said:

Are we allowed to use throttle commands (Z, X?)

Are we allowed to use SAS and to change the SAS direction?

Are we allowed to enable or disable engines?

If not said otherwise is allowed. So, yes, yes and yes.  

On the other hand, not using those may make things more interesting. :wink:

Also changed the wording of the rule 1 for clarification.

I may try building a Mun lander which does a purely ballistic launch using calibrated closed-loop KAL "programs." I know you can get a somewhat consistent orbit this way, but I'm guessing that the Mun Periapsis will vary too much to use a pure, unguided missile to land there.

Edited by Pds314

9 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Is translation steering lol?

Creative interpretation of the rules is part of the challenge. :wink:

That is not strictly a "no glitches, no exploits" challenge. Just make it interesting.

Well.. if you can forgive me for the awful editing, cringy  cinematography and obnoxious music: I did a similar mission some time ago that complies to all three rules the mission states.  :)

1. I flew out of the souposphere at full throttle (using a helicopter and shot a cannonball into space)
2. I didn't  correct my flight trajectory
3. I didn't use any thrust limiters.

I built this helicopter cannon that could fire a cannon ball to the mun. It uses 30 vectors (or more?) all clipped into one vector engine.

I'm guessing the helicopter thing is not in spirit of the challenge so you might want to add an extra rule to da list. :)

edit: changed did to didn't (in bold)

Edited by xendelaar

5 hours ago, xendelaar said:

2. I did correct my flight trajectory

How you did it?  Steering commands are not allowed, but If you used something other than pilot inputs for yaw/pitch/roll your entry is valid.

5 hours ago, xendelaar said:

..so you might want to add an extra rule to da list. :)

rule 4: I'm not allowed to add extra rules. :wink:

On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 AM, Spricigo said:

How you did it?  Steering commands are not allowed, but If you used something other than pilot inputs for yaw/pitch/roll your entry is valid.

my bad... i DIDN'T use steering other than "point at radial out"while flying upwards.  I adjusted the text in my post. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.