Why does the EVA experiment kit keep exploding?

Trying to do an EVA experiment over minmus, but for some reason, it keeps blowing jeb away from the orbiter, anyone have some clue? Are they rigged to go off sometimes, or is there something else I need to know about these kits?

I'd like the extra science points, but don't like the sudden boom throwing my kerbal into deep space. 

Actually, it looks like a test of using the jetpack, which has no forward thruster, unlike 10 year old NASA stuff. so basically just a mission ending exploding briefcase designed to kill your kerbal.  Have I got that about right?

EVA experiment? Is that the science one where they play golf? That only works when landed anyway but sounds more like a collider issue with the command pod or ladder maybe?  Any mods that would affect those?

Re: the jetpack, it does have forward (and reverse) thrust, controlled using left shift & left ctrl (basically same as throttle on ship). The WASD keys then translate and Q and E rotate. It's also recommended to switch the camera to chase mode as the other views are poor (although chase not much better tbh).

Very close to the ship, Vanamonde, but not holding on.  BTW, I'm happy to accept that I'm doing something wrong, but it is hard to find details about constraints for use for a whole lot of the science stuff.

FruitGoose, you may be onto something, as I am trying to use this in orbit, it would be nice to see better in game documentation for this stuff. I understand that not everything can be listed without loosing some of the flavor of the game, but the KSPedia has little to nothing about the use constraints of the EVA kit, which seems to be vaguely important. Not taking the time to look up jetpack controls, my bad, I can be lazy like that.

Oh, and the only mod is mechjeb 2.2, because controlling rockets by hand is kinda dumb, that's why all the real rockets have a flight control system. Could you imagine NASA flying a Saturn5 manually? How many falcons would get re-used if a human had to execute the landing maneuver by hand?

Edited by rynther

Performed in space the EVA experiment is trying to spin a wing nut. If you don't have the jetpack turned on the kerbal will spin and the nut stays still. if the jetack is turned on you can spin the nut and are treated to a view of the Dzhanibekov effect.

5 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

Performed in space the EVA experiment is trying to spin a wing nut. If you don't have the jetpack turned on the kerbal will spin and the nut stays still. if the jetack is turned on you can spin the nut and are treated to a view of the Dzhanibekov effect.

Inertia works different in space, it seems. :P

Well, not exactly Spricigo, inertia works the same everywhere, but without a strong local gravity field, you can see subtle effects that would otherwise be much less detectable.

10 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Inertia works different in space, it seems. :P

On 3/21/2021 at 10:23 PM, Reactordrone said:

If you don't have the jetpack turned on the kerbal will spin and the nut stays still.

Wow. I never would have tried that. Actually the kerbal and wingnut both spin (in 1.11.2). That's one massive wingnut.

15 hours ago, rynther said:

Well, not exactly Spricigo, inertia works the same everywhere, but without a strong local gravity field, you can see subtle effects that would otherwise be much less detectable.

Except that you cant notice the subtle Dzhanibekov effect when the nut remain still despite the Torque exerted by the kerbal

Dude, it's a game, are you really going to compare that to reality?

If you want to pick nits, you could observe the effect here on earth, if you spin a wingnut in a vacuum and watch it fall. (NASA has a huge vacuum chamber that would work)

On 3/23/2021 at 6:42 AM, Spricigo said:

Except that you cant notice the subtle Dzhanibekov effect when the nut remain still despite the Torque exerted by the kerbal

16 hours ago, rynther said:

Dude, it's a game, are you really going to compare that to reality?

:rolleyes: The internet, where every action have an overreaction.

No, I don't "want to pick nits". I just want you to understand that my comment was not about what you are nitpicking.

Would you notice the kerbal not moving despite the reaction force from the wingnut? Most people wouldn't notice or wouldn't care (it's a game). But the devs made the effort to properly simulate it and  the result:  in some circumstances the wingnut don't move, that is not like it would happen in real life and most people do notice it. Personally, I found it funny enough to post a ironic remark.

BTW  we do compare KSP with reality all the time. You don't need to go far in this forum to find someone praising realism or complaining about lack of it in the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.