Multiport docking alignment

Hi,

a few versions back it was possible to get a perfect alignment when using two docking ports to dock huge crafts. But nowadays I'm always a bit off as you can see :(

Docking port not aligned

Any tips for me how I can get them aligned properly? I take a mod if I have to.

#1: If you enable Advanced Tweakables in settings, you can then increase the docking acquire force in each docking port's right-click popup window. It goes as high as 200% for me.

#2: Install DockRotate and try wiggling the connected ports back and forth in 1 degree increments.

Hi @DeadJohn,

thanks for the answer!

I tried DockRotate, but it is still not aligning properly. Here a few pictures:

FQIHaKO.png

Here I only set the rotation and tried to force it to 0°. But since the initial docking is already a bit offset it can't do much about it.

yAxSzsd.png

And here I tried using MechJebs SmartAssist to keep the rotation to 0°. Yes that aligns it perfectly, but there is still a gap for some reason.

I guess I'm doing stuff with docking ports for which they weren't built for. (But how to create massive structures in space then?)

2 hours ago, Mat2ch said:

ere I only set the rotation and tried to force it to 0°. But since the initial docking is already a bit offset it can't do much about it.

Yes, I can see in that 2nd photo it's currently at 0.00°. Maybe try rotating the ports until they are far away from each other, out of magnet range, then rotate them back to 0 and see if the magnet reengages.

I'm not sure if you noticed my "Docking Acquire Force" comment. You have it at 100%. Try boosting it to 200% (save your game first in case of physics glitches). If that still doesn't work, reduce it, then boost it back up, and that might shake the ports together.

2 hours ago, Mat2ch said:

(But how to create massive structures in space then?)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod might let you use just one port, without the glitchiness of trying to get multiple ports to connect. KJR strengthens connections between parts. Note that there are currently 2 forks of KJR, "Next" and "Continued". I use Continued with KSP 1.10.1.

Use the 2.5m Clampotron Sr. for stronger side connections. That big port can look weird on round radial connections like the station you've been building, though. The Near Future Construction mod has Octo-Girder parts in a 2.5m square profile that work well with 2.5m ports. NFC also offers the Grip-O-Tron linear docking ports in 2 sizes to get new construction possibilities.

Hello @DeadJohn,

I played around with the docking force, but even then there is a gap between one of the two port pairs. This could be a bug of some kind. And even if I report it I'm not quiet sure if this will ever get fixed. Multiport docking isn't the way this game should be played (well, at least not back when I started playing it. The devs were always a bit cautious, when someone talked about it).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.