How to add partmodule to part at the main menu?

I have a small mod which is designed to calculate the volume requirements for parts if they don't have a ModuleCargoPart, and (right now) is creating a MM file so that the next time the game is loaded, the module is there.  I'd like to be able to add the ModuleCargoPart directly to avoid the need for a restart.

I've tried this:

ConfigNode node = new ConfigNode("ModuleCargoPart");
                        node.AddValue("packedVolume", volume(availPart, num).ToString("F0"));
                        availPart.partConfig.AddNode(node);

which doesn't work.  I also tried this which fails with an exception:

ModuleCargoPart mcp = new ModuleCargoPart();
                        mcp.packedVolume = volume(availPart, num);
                        availPart.partPrefab.Modules.Add(mcp);

This is all running in a MonoBehaviour.Start, which runs when the MainMenu is reached.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

In my experience, adding a PartModule at runtime causes problems. It seems that every part has a fixed-length list of PartModules, defined at game startup, and if you add PartModules you get log messages about "bad PartModule index", or something like that.

Best workaround I found is to avoid PartModules in this case, and working directly with MonoBehaviours, that can be added at runtime without problems, but do not get saved in the sfs files.

If you need persistency, you need to add a PartModule, but you have to do it via MM.

2 hours ago, peteletroll said:

In my experience, adding a PartModule at runtime causes problems. It seems that every part has a fixed-length list of PartModules, defined at game startup, and if you add PartModules you get log messages about "bad PartModule index", or something like that.

Well, there is some way to do it, since the game does it when loading :=)

Best workaround I found is to avoid PartModules in this case, and working directly with MonoBehaviours, that can be added at runtime without problems, but do not get saved in the sfs files.

Not possible in this case, since it needs to be a ModuleCargoPart

If you need persistency, you need to add a PartModule, but you have to do it via MM.

I know, have that working, but would like, if possible, to avoid the double-load

Which is why I asked the question :-)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.