Part Highlighter Broken?

I've recently encountered a massive bug/glitch with objects highlighting green when I hover over them, a couple of days ago it stopped working  but whenever I hover over a part, it's like a green explosion on the screen that starts at the whatever part I'm hovering over and works its way to fill the entire screen screen.  It does this everywhere; VAB, SPH, launchpad, flight....

It could be a complete coincidence but I think it might have been caused by the intel graphics command centre. I added KSP out of curiosity in case it made performance any better and to see if it stopped the occasion screen tearing. After I noticed the green explosion, I removed KSP from the GCC game library but that hasn't made a difference. I don't know if somewhere it is still linked or what (no google searches showed issues with GCC breaking games). 

I have no idea how to fix it, I have tried uninstalling, deleting all files then doing a clean install, about 4 times now (after removing from the GCC library), each time it still keeps happening.

Can anyone help?

I am so sorry for the inconvenience. That is a very strange bug. No-one here has been able to repro it yet. 
Any information you might be able to add to the existing report (Bug 27008) would be very helpful pinning it down. 

12 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Looks like this issue https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/27008

Maybe the workaround described there works for you too?

Thank you, I will see if that helps.

11 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I am so sorry for the inconvenience. That is a very strange bug. No-one here has been able to repro it yet. 
Any information you might be able to add to the existing report (Bug 27008) would be very helpful pinning it down. 

Yeah, I'd be happy to help before trying the workaround, what information are you looking for specifically?

I have since tried resetting then deleting the Intel Graphics Command Centre in the hope it would delete any sort of background link to the game but that did nothing either. It behaves the exact same as the GIF in that thread

5 hours ago, MyNameJeb said:

Yeah, I'd be happy to help before trying the workaround, what information are you looking for specifically?

I have since tried resetting then deleting the Intel Graphics Command Centre in the hope it would delete any sort of background link to the game but that did nothing either. It behaves the exact same as the GIF in that thread

I think right now the best place to start is what kind of computer are you using? OS, CPU, GPU... etc, etc...
Feel free to add it as a comment on that existing bug report.  (27008)
Also, are you using any mods? Or is this happening in a stock game? I find it a little hard to believe it's just mod-related without more people reporting it, but you never know
I can't make any promises, I'm not a Dev. I'm a QA tester... but I'll do my best to try and get this pinned down so the devs can address it

Edited by Just Jim

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I think right now the best place to start is what kind of computer are you using? OS, CPU, GPU... etc, etc...
Feel free to add it as a comment on that existing bug report.  (27008)
Also, are you using any mods? Or is this happening in a stock game? I find it a little hard to believe it's just mod-related without more people reporting it, but you never know
I can't make any promises, I'm not a Dev. I'm a QA tester... but I'll do my best to try and get this pinned down so the devs can address it

Sorry, I can't see how to add anything to that report.

I was using mods, mechjeb, kerbal engineer, science x. Added them back in on the first re-install attempt, haven't added them on the other attempts so same for modded and stock.

I'm on a laptop, HP spectre x360, Windows 10, GPU: Intel Iris Xe, CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM.

Played about 100 hours since I picked the game back up last month (has been 4/5 years since I last played). Everything has been fine until last week. Unless it's complete coincidence my best guess was that it was caused by adding KSP to the intel graphics command centre game library. The person in the bug report also mentioned going into the intel graphics program and trying to remove all links to the game?

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, no problem. I'll copy and paste this into the report this afternoon
Thank you!

Should I just try the workaround mentioned then and let you know if it works?

I'm guessing it means to add "-force-d3d12" to the end of the desktop shortcut? Or would it be to the KSP_x64 in the game folder?

Also as a little side-note in case it's a related problem, I don't know if it's always been like this and I just never noticed before but the loading bar has fixed black pixels around it like a broken shadow effect, you can see it on the GIF in the report at 14s. It looks like that when the game opens up too, not just after the green explosion, I swear it never looked like that before the bug. 

2 hours ago, MyNameJeb said:

Should I just try the workaround mentioned then and let you know if it works?

That would have to be your decision...  I haven't had the issue myself, or tried the workaround, so I can't say 100% if it will work or not. 

If you decide to try it, back your game up first, please!!!  Always make a backup when you try something like this.

2 hours ago, MyNameJeb said:

I'm guessing it means to add "-force-d3d12" to the end of the desktop shortcut? Or would it be to the KSP_x64 in the game folder?

The comment reads:

the solution to that unity crash some people gave was to add -force-d3d12 on a shortcut created from the .exe. 

So I assume add it to the end of the shortcut

Again, I am so sorry about the bug... please let me know how you make out

Edited by Just Jim

On 3/26/2021 at 7:34 PM, Just Jim said:

That would have to be your decision...  I haven't had the issue myself, or tried the workaround, so I can't say 100% if it will work or not. 

If you decide to try it, back your game up first, please!!!  Always make a backup when you try something like this.

The comment reads:

the solution to that unity crash some people gave was to add -force-d3d12 on a shortcut created from the .exe. 

So I assume add it to the end of the shortcut

Again, I am so sorry about the bug... please let me know how you make out

So the workaround did fix it, thank [snip]! specifically (in my case at least)adding -force-d3d12 to the desktop shortcut did nothing but, adding it to the launch options of the game through the game properties in steam DID fix it. I then tried copying my saves I backed up over, then the game crashed. Then decided screw it, if I have to start a new save I'll not play it so just copy-pasted the entire back up game folder, replacing all files. Launched the game, through steam (maybe now desktop shortcut won't work? haven't tried), everything's fine, mods and all. I just loaded it quickly to see, so haven't had the chance to see if it's good as new.

For now everything seems perfect, I will follow-up maybe in a week or two to say if all is still good or if there's any side effects

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

1 hour ago, MyNameJeb said:

So the workaround did fix it, thank [snip]! specifically (in my case at least)adding -force-d3d12 to the desktop shortcut did nothing but, adding it to the launch options of the game through the game properties in steam DID fix it. I then tried copying my saves I backed up over, then the game crashed. Then decided screw it, if I have to start a new save I'll not play it so just copy-pasted the entire back up game folder, replacing all files. Launched the game, through steam (maybe now desktop shortcut won't work? haven't tried), everything's fine, mods and all. I just loaded it quickly to see, so haven't had the chance to see if it's good as new.

For now everything seems perfect, I will follow-up maybe in a week or two to say if all is still good or if there's any side effects

OK, cool... keep me posted,   please

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.