Attaching parts to the RovMax XL3

Not sure if this belongs here or in general discussion ... but why can't I attach anything to the RovMax XL3 wheels? They've got all of these great flat surfaces for lights and panels and any manner of gee-gaw, but nothing sticks.  

6 hours ago, Echo__3 said:

Just use the offset tool and make it look how you want.

Yeah, no, that doesn't work for me. I can grab a light or a solar panel for instance, and no matter where I put it on the wheel's frame, the RovMax XL3 lights up green like all is well, but when I drop the light or solar panel, the part I dropped just goes red and is not attached. The best I can do is attach the part to the piece that the RovMax XL3 is attached to, and offset it from there, but that's very limited of course.

I've been playing for almost a year and thought I knew how to attach things, but if it works for you, I'd love to know how you do it. I'm on Windows 1.11.2, in the SPH, if that matters at all. 

16 minutes ago, maddog59 said:

I've been playing for almost a year and thought I knew how to attach things, but if it works for you, I'd love to know how you do it. I'm on Windows 1.11.2, in the SPH, if that matters at all. 

I'm suggesting attaching the light to another part and using the offset tool and moving it out so it looks like it is attached to the bar. Hold Shift to offset further if you need too.

Edited by Echo__3

22 minutes ago, Echo__3 said:

I'm suggesting attaching the light to another part and using the offset tool and moving it out so it looks like it is attached to the bar. Hold Shift to offset further if you need too.

this works in the VAB. not sure if it works in EVA construction, which you seem to be using  by your mention of green and red lights.

anyway, wheels - and a few other parts - are like that. you can't attach parts on them. for the same reason that you can't attach stuff on the bell of a rocket, even though it is a big flat surface.

3 hours ago, Echo__3 said:

Hold Shift to offset further if you need too.

Sunofagun! All this time and I never knew you could use the shift key like that! Thank you!!

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

this works in the VAB. not sure if it works in EVA construction, which you seem to be using  by your mention of green and red lights.

Actually, I was in the SPH ... I was referring to the way the parts light up green when you mouse over them, or if you drop a part without attaching it to anything it has a red outline. 

17 hours ago, Echo__3 said:

Hold Shift to offset further if you need too.

Well I'll be d***! Almost a year of building ships and I didn't know you could use the shift key to do that! Thank you!!!

16 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I was referring to the green outline that appears around a part when you mouse over it, and the red outline that appears when you mouse over a part that's been dropped without being attached to anything.

16 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

...you can't attach stuff on the bell of a rocket, even though it is a big flat surface.

Well, I guess that makes sense ... My thanks to both you and @echo_3! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.