How to make planes/helicopters without deploy angles

So, I watch a lot of KSP youtubers, and when they make propellor powered craft, they use deploy angles for the throttle. I’ll do that!

Ohhhh, right, KSP enhanced edition doesn’t have half the features KSP on computer does. I’ll use RPM/Torque limits for throttle! Aaaand it just sits there on the runway, deployed blades spinning away, yet not lifting my quadcopter.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

You will need to angle the blades to get them to work right. Console may use the term authority limit instead of deploy angle, but I'm not positive. Could you post a picture of your screen in the SPH with the blade selected in the action group menu? I'd like to see what the options are. The tutorial I posted can still work if you manually rotate the blades 10-15 degrees when you place them on the rotor. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, Wizard Kerbal said:

So, I watch a lot of KSP youtubers, and when they make propellor powered craft, they use deploy angles for the throttle. I’ll do that!

Ohhhh, right, KSP enhanced edition doesn’t have half the features KSP on computer does. I’ll use RPM/Torque limits for throttle! Aaaand it just sits there on the runway, deployed blades spinning away, yet not lifting my quadcopter.

The way I normally design propeller planes and helicopters in KSP:

1. Set torque to maximum and never touch it again.
  2. Tie the RPM to the throttle.
  3. Pick a reasonable angle for the blades, then do either the simple or the fancy:
    • Simple:  add "Toggle Deploy" for the blades to an action group.
    • Fancy:  tie the blades' deploy angle to an axis group and bind that to a key pair like I/K.

...and that's it.  I use "adjust the blade pitch" the way I'd use the gear shift in a car.  The "simple" approach (toggle between two positions with an action group) is like having a car that has only two gears.  The "fancy" approach (where I can continuously adjust the pitch of the blades up or down by pressing I/K) is like having a car with a continuously variable transmission.

I'm not saying this is the best way, or the most efficient.  But I find that it works pretty well for me.  I start out in "low gear" when I'm at low speed (i.e. low blade pitch), then when I max out my speed I "shift into higher gear" (apply more blade pitch).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.