Microsoft, Apple or Linux?

Uhtred

Microsoft Or Apple?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer? Microsoft or Apple?

• Definitely Microsoft. Go Windows!
    • Who Cares about Windows? I'm Fully Apple!
    • I like Linux, so there!
    • Eh, they're all fine, why argue?

I'm a Windows user. There are quite a few things that annoy me about it, but Linux just seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort to set up and learn, and I just generally dislike Apple. Besides, Windows has the largest selection of games and other programs.

I use windows mostly cause its the thing I know best. Doesn't mean I particularly like it. Has good compatibility for what I need though.

Have tried using Linux before. Though its fine and nice I guess, I wouldn't use it probably for personal home use... Also hassle to convert my current systems over, as nice as itd be probably.

What's better?

• MS Apple
  • Winux
  • iBuntu
  • Mandroid (Mandrake/Mandriva + Android)
  • OS*0.5 (former OS/2)
  • Real Haiku OS All programs should have 3 lines.
  • 2BeOS and Not2BeOS (Twin BeOS descendants)
Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

What's better?

• MS Apple
  • Winux
  • iBuntu
  • Mandroid (Mandrake/Mandriva + Android)
  • OS*0.5 (further OS/2)
  • Real Haiku OS All programs should have 3 lines.
  • 2BeOS and Not2BeOS (Twin BeOS descendants)

Don't forget AmigOS. (It just wants to be your friend.)

As a dual boot Windows 10 - Kubuntu user I'm concerned there isn't an option to pick more than one OS.

I will say though that I mostly have the Kubuntu as an assurance that if things go south with the Windows there's a backup, and vice versa (although mostly the former as most things are still carried out on Windows). Gaming is now a thing on Linux but that's not completely productive... since everyone is using Microsoft Office and the support on LibreOffice is kinda sketchy for .docx, .xlsx and .pptx (not really their fault though since the documentation from Office is not that clean, so I hear) I have problems doing it fully there. A few programs are only on Windows too, mostly for engineering analysis.

Sadly the only Apple product we ever owned in the household was stolen years ago so can't speak for MacOS (or iOS for the matter). Only had Android phones myself, parents had BlackBerry when it's messaging app was a thing (and exclusive).

Edited by YNM

On 3/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, TheSaint said:

I've been using Windows professionally now for 28 years. It's the worst operating system out there. Except for all the other ones. (Hat tip to Sir Winston.)

Starting to read this post thinking one then. 

Then finished it thinking the complete opposite.

LOL

Edited by MKI

I use Linux Mint dual boot with Win 7.

I play KSP on Linux, since most of it was developed on Linux on an engine that was developed on linux.

My games on win7 pro  are slowly being updated to not work on win7 pro any more.

Enough of them work on linux to keep me entertained.

When I can't play games on win7pro any more I'll just reformat for Linux.

Linux is as powerful an O/S as windows, if not more so.
An interesting point is that while I can play a good number of the latest games on Linux I can also still play games that are older than most of you.
Some older win games though will not run at all well on newer versions of windows.

Upgrading my Linux OS to the next version is as easy as upgrading windows.
With my Linux though, everything still works afterwards.

Once I have backed up with Timeshift on Linux, I can tweak and customise my OS without worrying about breaking it. Everything can be put back just as it was before I started fiddling with it.

As I see it, with the corporate OS's, I have to pay to be spied on and pay to be advertised to. With Linux I don't 'have to' pay  although I have bought a number of coffees over the years and of course the spying and the advertising is much more controllable.

I will never get win10 or any other corporate OS. I've been ripped off quite enough by their like.

My Linux systems all run faster and more smoothly than the others.  So I'm happy.

D.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Deller said:

I vote for Linux. I especially love the Ubuntu distribution, as it is very intuitive. But I don't understand why so many people, especially those who use Windows, are afraid of this system. After all, it is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance.

You answered your own question. Ubuntu is very easy to use, but Linux in general has a command-line-driven reputation, where you need to do sudo-this and sudo-that to accomplish anything. It might not be hard, and personally I find it delightfully easy to accomplish “hard” things by copy-paste commands found online, as opposed to following three pages on instructions on where to click next, but yes, command lines scare people because it makes them feel helpless (a blank screen with a prompt, and no clue what to type...)

Add to that, that these days, Windows is really good. BSOD’s are exceptionally rare and most tasks the average user cares about can be accomplished without effort.

So why would they switch from something that works well to something that has a reputation of being complex and hard, without offering clear benefits to them? It’s not “being afraid,” it’s an unwillingness to invest time and effort when there’s no clear return for them on that investment. I’m not saying there are no benefits in running Linux, but those benefits are invisible or meaningless for the people you’re talking about.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, Kerbart said:

So why would they switch from something that works well to something that has a reputation of being complex and hard, without offering clear benefits to them?

Linux is at the very least much lighter just humming in the background. If I close all apps and stuff I use on Windows I get like 4 GB of RAM use/pre-allocation, whereas on Linux (Kubuntu at that, a fairly well-adorned distro) that's the RAM usage I get on idle running a Win10 VM for office (winapps), without that it's only 2 - 3 GB. These are out of 8 GB of RAM total. If you have an older/less-capable hardware, and don't want to throw them away just yet, then Linux is a choice one can take, there are much lighter distros out there (I've tried LXQt and put it on an old laptop that only had 2 GB of RAM and somehow have Win8 64-bit on it; there's LXDE - basically the older LXQt, also Xubuntu and Debian w/ XFCE if you want even more stability). That being said OSes doesn't really help for the simple fact that the Web these days are. very. very. heavy. and we do everything on it.

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Linux is at the very least much lighter just humming in the background. If I close all apps and stuff I use on Windows I get like 4 GB of RAM use/pre-allocation, whereas on Linux (Kubuntu at that, a fairly well-adorned distro) that's the RAM usage I get on idle running a Win10 VM for office (winapps), without that it's only 2 - 3 GB. These are out of 8 GB of RAM total. If you have an older/less-capable hardware, and don't want to throw them away just yet, then Linux is a choice one can take, there are much lighter distros out there (I've tried LXQt and put it on an old laptop that only had 2 GB of RAM and somehow have Win8 64-bit on it; there's LXDE - basically the older LXQt, also Xubuntu and Debian w/ XFCE if you want even more stability). That being said OSes doesn't really help for the simple fact that the Web these days are. very. very. heavy. and we do everything on it.

I'm not saying Linux has no benefits. What I'm saying is that the people who don't want to consider Linux are usually not aware of those benefits; they're not clear to them. Hence no incentive to install it.

Well, I have like 7 different computers (One with Windows xp on it! Mostly keep it because it still has many files on it-By "Me", I mean my dad), but I think one or 2 have Linux (Puppy Linux I think) on it. I use Windows 10 almost all of the time, but I know that if you put Linux on an old slow computer that has Windows, It'll run almost like new. (At least from what I have heard. It's been a while since I have used Linux. Even when I did use it, I didn't use it a lot) I don't know much about Linux yet, but I want to know more.

Also about 30 printers. I am not joking. We still need to post some online and sell them.

To sum this post up, I use Windows pretty much all of the time.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

23 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

What I'm saying is that the people who don't want to consider Linux are usually not aware of those benefits; they're not clear to them. Hence no incentive to install it.

Well given that we're comparing what used to be a bunch of mostly engineers/technical person and a 46 years old large company with PR at front then yes it's pretty obvious. Like, how many devices comes with Windows pre-installed and how much is with Linux pre-installed ? etc etc.

That being said there's definitely some ways for it to turn. There's Canonical (strictly software) and System76 (both software and hardware). With the whole right-to-repair stuff being increasingly made well-known, there's a chance that at least the latter would get some wind (an interesting in-depth interview, if you want to know how a personal computer hardware producing company works).

17 minutes ago, YNM said:

Like, how many devices comes with Windows pre-installed and how much is with Linux pre-installed ?

Most of them are equipped with pre-installed  Linux. It's called Android.

Upd.
:sticktongue:

Edited by kerbiloid

24 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

AOSP is Linux. Google Mobile Services isn't. There are devices that had to be released without the latter.

Probably the closest position is macOS, which is made on top of XNU, and they actually have an open-source version of it. But the "definitely from Apple" portions aren't open-source or in-keeping with the open-source part.

Edited by YNM

I like windows because 

- Been using Windows since my first PC in the XP days

- I'm used to the interface

- I know how to diagnose problems and errors in Windows. If I switch operating systems, I'll have to learn new fixes and junk. I had to work on a bunch of Macbooks last summer, and resetting them/ using their BIOS isn't really more difficult, but I'm just already used to Windows.

- Gaming on Windows is just better, no question. Sure, it's getting better on Linux and by extension Mac, but Windows beats them out in terms of game compatibility every time.

- Xbox! I love how I can sync all of my Xbox stuff with my computer. 

- If I have to choose a massive company to harvest all of my data as we have to do nowadays, I'll stick to the one I know best, which is Microsoft. Google doesn't really count since they already know everything, and I just don't trust Tim Cook.

TLDR: I already know my way around Windows and I like gaming. 

On 4/24/2021 at 12:15 PM, kerbiloid said:

Upd.
:sticktongue:

Good point, I exclusively use Android phones these days. Maybe I should get a windows phone :huh:

Edited by Kernel Kraken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.