Is There A Major Feature Of KSP You Never Use?

Just as the title says, is there a feature in KSP you don't use through choice? I was surprised to hear a few players don't go to outside of Kerbin’s SOI. Also some play with sound off. Some never build planes etc so don't use the SPH. Maybe you only play sandbox so don't use 3 of the buildings in the space center?

Me personally, I NEVER use IVA which is quite popular with many but I just prefer looking at the vessel in 3rd person to get a ‘feel for my surroundings’. In fact, I usually delete the spaces to save on resources, although I do appreciate the work that goes into creating them.

An honourable mention to asteroids as well, although comets have more appeal.

I'm not sure if it actually counts as a major feature, but I've never used docking mode. The fact that you use the same keys for rotation and translation and have to switch modes just seems cumbersome and illogical when you can just rotate with WASD and translate with IJKLHN. 

3 hours ago, Wizard Kerbal said:

Every console player literally can't live without it, but a major feature I don't use, I guess, are the scenarios. I prefer to do those things myself.

I play in pc now but used to on console so I use it, don’t know how to use the key binds.

For me it's the mission builder and sandbox mode. I keep thinking I will try mission builder, but then I think, why waste time on it, especially when I have no one to share the completed mission with anyway.

I tried sandbox mode but having all items and everything unlocked gives me little to strive for, in my opinion.

On PS4, I never leave Kerbin's SOI because consoles don't have access to physical time warp. I don't have the patience to wait hours for an interplanetary burn to finish in real-time. :/

It is possible to hook up a keyboard to the PS4 and gain access to physical time warp that way, but it's too much of a hassle. I bought the game again for PC instead.

Edited by wpetula

3 hours ago, wpetula said:

On PS4, I never leave Kerbin's SOI because consoles don't have access to physical time warp. I don't have the patience to wait hours for an interstellar burn to finish in real-time. :/

It is possible to hook up a keyboard to the PS4 and gain access to physical time warp that way, but it's too much of a hassle. I bought the game again for PC instead.

If you use the radial preset, press Y or whatever it translates to on PS4, then there should be an option to enable/disable physwarp.

And I think you meant interplanetary.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

5 hours ago, wpetula said:

On PS4, I never leave Kerbin's SOI because consoles don't have access to physical time warp. I don't have the patience to wait hours for an interstellar burn to finish in real-time. :/

If you have the patience to burn for Minmus, its only an extra 130(-ish) m/s of delta V to get a Duna intercept. You don't need to use nuclear engines for interplanetary.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:57 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

I'm not sure if it actually counts as a major feature, but I've never used docking mode. The fact that you use the same keys for rotation and translation and have to switch modes just seems cumbersome and illogical when you can just rotate with WASD and translate with IJKLHN. 

Same here

18 hours ago, Dientus said:

For me it's the mission builder and sandbox mode. I keep thinking I will try mission builder, but then I think, why waste time on it, especially when I have no one to share the completed mission with anyway.

I tried sandbox mode but having all items and everything unlocked gives me little to strive for, in my opinion.

At one time, I thought the mission builder might be useful for testing designs - specifically Eve craft - rather than launching a mission & hoping it all went well.  I found it too much of  a bother.  Instead, it's easier to just use sandbox & cheat a risky design to wherever you want it & test it before killing your kerbals in a no-quickload/no-revert/permadeath career.  

17 hours ago, steuben said:

Currently robotics and those moveable parts. 

I use the moveable parts a little, and tinkered with helicopters a very little, but attempts at a prop plane have yet to accomplish anything useful. 

17 hours ago, Meecrob said:

If you have the patience to burn for Minmus, its only an extra 130(-ish) m/s of delta V to get a Duna intercept. You don't need to use nuclear engines for interplanetary.

Huh, interesting. I'm probably just really bad at designing and executing missions. :)

It probably takes forever to get to Jool and Eeloo, though.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:57 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Exact opposite for me. I find it an absolute godsend to be able to rotate and translate with one hand without having to take my hand off the keyboard for even a second (though I often find I could use some kind of visual reference for which axis is which at the moment). WASD, I can find blindly; IJKLHN, I very much can't, even with having taken lessons in blind typing in high school.

Anyway, what I don't use aside from the dedicated translation keys...

• Anything higher-tech than tier 6.
  • Career mode; want to, haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • Anything beyond Duna and Gilly.

Don't recall anything more at the moment.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:06 PM, wpetula said:

It takes like ten seconds longer to get to Duna that it does to the Mun lol

2 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I personally never used the Strategies thing in career mode, it just seems to complex for me or smth.

There is actually a superfun way of doing career mode with the strategies... its not how its meant to be played, its also complex. Far more realistic though.

Start the game with enough reputation/funds/science to activate whatever strategy it is that takes 100% science and converts it to funds. Unlock ALL nodes with science - but the option to make it necessary to purchase researched parts before use must also be on - this way you've not really unlocked all the parts yet.

Basically, all of your sucessful science missions now generate FUNDS instead of science. FUNDS are then used to unlock parts instead of science... like in the real world :) cus yano, observing some goo in space doesn't *actually* make a better rocket engine...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.