How to take Data selectively

Is there a way to take only certain data/experiments for recovery on Kerbin and leave others for processing in the lab? 

I have a mess of data on a station ... some of it is worth boku points if processed in the lab, others are worth more if recovered on Kerbin. I've put a Kerbanaut outside the cabin where the data is stored, so I can 'take the data,' but I don't see a mechanism for taking the one's I want for recovery and leaving others to be processed.    

1 minute ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Don't store those experiments as Data in the lab in the first place, recover them with a Kerbal and land them.

Once it's Data in the Lab, it can't be transformed back into the initial experiment as far as i know.

The data hasn't been stored in the lab yet ... it's all piled up in the Mk2 Lander Can that's connected to the lab. When I right click on the Lander Can, I see "Review Data (88)," can click thru each of the 88 experiments to see the green and blue value bars, and  either save it, recycle it, send it to the lab for processing, or transmit it. 

To earn points, it needs to be sent to the Science Lab while in the same biome/situation as it was gathered. 

It makes sense to do both, or all 3 - process in lab, transmit, recover. The points earned from processing in a lab are additional and separate to those for transmit/recovery. If you have a science lab I'll assume you also have a scientist, so you can reset the Science Jr and Goo. Then its a case of running the experiment, lab/transmit/keep, (reset and) repeat.

1 hour ago, maddog59 said:

The data hasn't been stored in the lab yet ... it's all piled up in the Mk2 Lander Can that's connected to the lab. When I right click on the Lander Can, I see "Review Data (88)," can click thru each of the 88 experiments to see the green and blue value bars, and  either save it, recycle it, send it to the lab for processing, or transmit it. 

Ah, alright.

Then review and save what you want to return to kerbin, send the rest to the lab. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

59 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Then review and save what you want to return to kerbin, send the rest to the lab. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem ... but that's what I'm getting at as the problem ... there's so much data that the lab already has 750 units of data that it's processing (2 scientists are on board), and I've got so much add'l data in the Lander Can that it's worth something like a couple/three thousand more science points once it's processed. So periodically I've been transmitting the science from the lab, then reviewing and adding more data to the lab from the Lander Can until it's full. And that's all well and good. But mixed in with all of that high-value stuff is experiments that show they're worth nothing in the lab, but are worth a couple dozen (or more) points if recovered. So what I'm trying to get at is, how do I 'take' the data that's not worth anything in the lab and 'leave' the experiments that are worth more by being processed.      

2 hours ago, paul_c said:

It makes sense to do both, or all 3 - process in lab, transmit, recover. The points earned from processing in a lab are additional and separate to those for transmit/recovery. If you have a science lab I'll assume you also have a scientist, so you can reset the Science Jr and Goo. Then its a case of running the experiment, lab/transmit/keep, (reset and) repeat.

My apologies, I'm afraid I'm not fully understanding the mechanics. Are you saying I can 'take' all 88 experiments from the Lander Can, transfer them to a Command Pod which I recover at Kerbin, and the high-value experiments will still be on-board the station for me to transfer to the lab for processing when space for their data becomes available? Or, do I need to have two or three instances of a given experiment - one to recover, one to process, and one to transmit? I know that there are diminishing returns for a given experiment being done multiple times.    

In general no, you can't pick and choose which experiments get temporarily housed in which science containers. Whether the experiments are in a Kerbal's "pockets" or whether they are stored in some other science container, the only button you have available is to store all the experiments into a new container. Most containers will only accept one copy of an experiment, and leave the rest in the original -- that's the only filter that you have available. As these guys are trying to say, the other thing you can do is selectively "process" enough experiments (of the ones that you actually want to process) to fill the buffer in the Lab, and then transfer the rest of the experiments back out of the lab into some craft that will be returning to Kerbin.

There is a known feedback report to the devs to add some kind of mechanism to the game that will allow you to selectively copy only some experiments from one science container to another, but it hasn't been added to the game yet.

20 hours ago, maddog59 said:

No problem ... but that's what I'm getting at as the problem ... there's so much data that the lab already has 750 units of data that it's processing (2 scientists are on board), and I've got so much add'l data in the Lander Can that it's worth something like a couple/three thousand more science points once it's processed. So periodically I've been transmitting the science from the lab, then reviewing and adding more data to the lab from the Lander Can until it's full. And that's all well and good. But mixed in with all of that high-value stuff is experiments that show they're worth nothing in the lab, but are worth a couple dozen (or more) points if recovered. So what I'm trying to get at is, how do I 'take' the data that's not worth anything in the lab and 'leave' the experiments that are worth more by being processed.      

Time warp until the data is used up in the lab, transmit. Then feed it the experiments you don't want to return, repeat until you only have the experiments you want to return to kerbin left over. Then return those to kerbin.

You want to keep the science lab "topped up" with as much data as possible, because it maximises the rate of processing (turning data into science). 5 science points are earned per unit of data and its "full of science" at 500, so you'll be transmitting 500 science which needs a good bunch of electricity to do too. 

Each science lab can process each variation (biomes, altitude, etc.) of science only once. Also recovering data twice or even more yields less and less science points, excepts crew and EVA reports that yield nothing on any further recovery. You can achieve the same effect by transmitting one copy and recovering another copy.

If I wanted to squeeze out the most possible science, I transmitted twice, then put 3 copies into different capsules or science containers to recover, and also kept another copy of each experiemt to be processed in the lab.  So in total I ran each experiment 6 times.

But you have to plan and sort beforehand, because of the unability to pick individual data, like you mentioned.

Before science containers existed, I even built additional capsules without any crew, just for storing data :confused:

When you review stored science you have a few options:

• delete it
  • keep it
  • send it
  • when there's a lab available, submit it for processing

You will have to click on the pod that contains the science, and then right-click, review. Then you can decide for each one if you want to keep it or process it in the lab.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.