[1.12.x] KSP Part Volumes

linuxgurugamer

I have been using KIS till now, and I never touched the stock KIS before, so I don't really understand what does it mean by "...which will add the ModuleCargoPart to all parts which don't already have it". Does it mean that not all the parts can be placed in the stock inventory? Or does it mean that some parts that should have inventory, does not have?

4 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

I have been using KIS till now, and I never touched the stock KIS before, so I don't really understand what does it mean by "...which will add the ModuleCargoPart to all parts which don't already have it". Does it mean that not all the parts can be placed in the stock inventory? Or does it mean that some parts that should have inventory, does not have?

Stock inventory needs a part to have ModuleCargoPart to be put in a container, and many mod parts still don't have it. So this nod allows parts from any mod to go in stock inventory without waiting for those mods to be updated to include the module.

On 6/6/2021 at 4:44 AM, Krzeszny said:

Is this intended?

HZjicaD.png

Yes, just delete that one file from KIFA. That patch conflicts with PartVolume's patch.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Yes, just delete that one file from KIFA. That patch conflicts with PartVolume's patch.

Atlas updated KIFA's patch to not run if PartVolumes is in, and LGG said that this particular check was removed. I can only assume that's why this got brought up.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, Atlas Gaming said:

Hey I've updated KIFA to skip items that are defined with this mod. Can you remove the requirement to uninstall parts of my mod to install this mod?

On 5/14/2021 at 12:32 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Done

Because, yeah, it certainly sounds like that screen should no longer have any reason to come up.

@linuxgurugamerSpeaking of intended features... (totally not a LTT reference) this mod doesn't allow the parts with generated ModuleCargoPart to be placed in stock inventories EDIT: after being placed down, see video below. I think this mod is only usable with KIS (and it works great with KIS but it feels useless with stock KSP)

I'd suggest an option for this mod:

• Allow all parts to be placed in inventories (modifies parts which already have volumes to make them placeable in stock inventories, especially stock parts)
    (this could be turned on by default because stock inventory is so much worse than KIS because of this difference alone)

• Allow unconfigured parts to be placed in inventories (doesn't modify stock and modded parts which already have ModuleCargoPart)
    (the parts this mod configures can't be placed in stock inventories... why?)
    that's a bug

I hope that's clear enough.

Edited by Krzeszny

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Make sure you have the latest version of  both mods

A rudimentary parsing of the code for this particular issue on the Git still does this if that file is present, regardless of its content. I feel like an ass for even suggesting this but, did you actually push the changes for this?

Edited by BlooSkies

19 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Stock inventory needs a part to have ModuleCargoPart to be put in a container, and many mod parts still don't have it. So this nod allows parts from any mod to go in stock inventory without waiting for those mods to be updated to include the module.

"Stock inventory..."

Or do you mean "stock parts"?

Edited by RandomKerbal

6 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

@linuxgurugamerSpeaking of intended features... (totally not a LTT reference) this mod doesn't allow the parts with generated Modules to be placed in stock inventories. I think this mod is only usable with KIS (and it works great with KIS but it feels useless with stock KSP)

I'd suggest 2 new options for this mod:

• Allow all parts to be placed in inventories (modifies all parts except for those which can already be placed in inventories)
    (this could be turned on by default because stock inventory is so much worse than KIS because of this difference alone)
  • Allow unconfigured parts to be placed in inventories (doesn't modify stock and modded parts which already have ModuleCargoPart)
    (the parts this mod configures can't be placed in stock inventories... why?)

I hope that's clear enough.

The whole point of this mod is so that almost anything can be placed in stock inventory, that's what it does. It configures parts to be put in stock inventory. It doesn't touch KIS' inventory system, it has absolutely nothing to do with KIS.

Spoiler

If you like KIS so much, you can go delete this mod.

If you've somehow mixed up stock and KIS inventory systems, then I can't help you.

5 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

The whole point of this mod is so that almost anything can be placed in stock inventory, that's what it does. It configures parts to be put in stock inventory. It doesn't touch KIS' inventory system, it has absolutely nothing to do with KIS.

I'll tell you why I said that KSP_PartVolume was only usable with KIS. There's a bug. When you use the stock EVA build mode to first detach a part that KSP_PartVolume added a volume to, you can't put it in any inventory. I thought that this mod was completely broken but it's only bugged. Notice how this part has 32 volume at first but then changes to -1 volume.

Also, I don't know that KIS added volumes to custom parts (it was obvious.)

Edited by Krzeszny

1 hour ago, Krzeszny said:

I'll tell you why I said that KSP_PartVolume was only usable with KIS. There's a bug. When you use the stock EVA build mode to first detach a part that KSP_PartVolume added a volume to, you can't put it in any inventory. I thought that this mod was completely broken but it's only bugged. Notice how this part has 32 volume at first but then changes to -1 volume.

PartVolume works by patching parts during initial startup of KSP, and then leaves the room until the next time you open KSP. Anything happening in flight isn't PartVolume's fault.

2 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

PartVolume works by patching parts during initial startup of KSP, and then leaves the room until the next time you open KSP. Anything happening in flight isn't PartVolume's fault.

I wonder why parts that haven't been configured with PartVolume don't bug out like that

3 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Not true, although I'd prefer if it was.

In order to avoid the need to do a restart of the game, it puts in a new part module into all parts which don't have a ModuleCargoPart at the end of the MM patches.  This is used to allow new parts (ie:  parts added via a new mod, or even the first time run) to have their volume data available.

So it's quite possible it's a bug.

4 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

When you use the stock EVA build mode to first detach a part that KSP_PartVolume added a volume to, you can't put it in any inventory. I thought that this mod was completely broken but it's only bugged. Notice how this part has 32 volume at first but then changes to -1 volume.

I'm treating this as a bug report.  But need a bit more information:

First, a log file (as usual).

Second, when  you say "you can't put it in any inventory", are you referring to stock inventory, or KIS, asking since you kept referencing KIS in your previous comments.

Edit:  Please install this debug version before generating the log file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi09u40vmhxt23a/KSP_PartVolume-0.0.2.2.zip?dl=0

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

In this video, was this the first time running after installing the mod, or had you restarted the game at least one time after the first install?  Makes a big difference

On 6/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, OrdinaryKerman said:

Is it every part configured by PartVolume? Or just RealChutes?

KIS parts with added ModuleCargoPart also bug out like that. They don't have stock volumes by default.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

First, a log file (as usual).

Second, when  you say "you can't put it in any inventory", are you referring to stock inventory, or KIS, asking since you kept referencing KIS in your previous comments.

Edit:  Please install this debug version before generating the log file:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi09u40vmhxt23a/KSP_PartVolume-0.0.2.2.zip?dl=0

Video with KIS installed and the debugging PartVolume version (I even removed the partvolumes.cfg file before launching KSP): Log file at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hgIMrqJhHcJz48LWfnZ7TXWeRFNKzzBQ/view?usp=sharing

By any inventory I meant any stock inventory.

New info. PartVolume doesn't bug out when KIS is not installed. Some icons are black as you can see in this video but all the parts can be put in stock inventories. I uninstalled KIS. This is the log from the second test https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yci5n_E2zyqK2DNAt0du8veuk6qLGF6L/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Krzeszny

@linuxgurugamerI think this mod is also dependent on toolbar control.  I tried a fresh KSP install with just part volumes and the listed dependencies and the main menu was broken (no part volume button at the bottom, none of the regular menu buttons were working).  I installed toolbar control and everything worked normally.

Great mod!  Thanks for all your work on this and your plethora of other projects :)

16 minutes ago, VTOL Frog said:

@linuxgurugamerI think this mod is also dependent on toolbar control.  I tried a fresh KSP install with just part volumes and the listed dependencies and the main menu was broken (no part volume button at the bottom, none of the regular menu buttons were working).  I installed toolbar control and everything worked normally.

Great mod!  Thanks for all your work on this and your plethora of other projects :)

Absolutely correct.

I've added that to the OP

On 6/16/2021 at 5:05 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.0.2.3

• Added warning dialog about need to restart game after new parts have been detected

I'm just being that annoying individual shouting, "I don't think this version is up on Space Dock!" :D 

On 6/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Please provide a test case.

This has absolutely nothing to do with KIS.   It only touches the stock inventory stuff.

Aren't the 2 videos + 2 corresponding logs enough?

You can see what happens with KIS installed in the first video and what happens without KIS installed in the second video.

Edited by Krzeszny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.