[1.12.x] KSP Part Volumes

linuxgurugamer

23 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I'm just being that annoying individual shouting, "I don't think this version is up on Space Dock!" :D 

Should be there now, sorry

45 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

Aren't the 2 videos + 2 corresponding logs enough?

You can see what happens with KIS installed in the first video and what happens without KIS installed in the second video.

Make sure you have the latest version installed.

Do the following both with and without KIS:

1. Start the game, exit after getting to the main menu.
  2. Start the game again, and do the video

Provide the log with each.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

The latest version keeps showing me message that I added new parts and that I need to restart the game every time I go back to MainMenu, even though I haven't added or updated any mods during the game... I haven't changed the mod settings either!
I also noticed that the 'partVolumes.cfg' file keeps growing every time I start the game, as this mod is duplicating its content, appending it below the old content.

The latest version keeps showing me message that I added new parts and that I need to restart the game every time I go back to MainMenu, even though I haven't added or updated any mods during the game... I haven't changed the mod settings either!
I also noticed that the 'partVolumes.cfg' file keeps growing every time I start the game, as this mod is duplicating its content, appending it below the old content.

I have the same problem, through all appended lines are not patches, just comments.

partVolumes https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-h2VGnvZKnKu49PRj?e=nsEwDX
ksp.log https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-h2aJ4pmoajoxNAJn?e=zxr3Sc
player.log https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-h2nBds7MRzeiU_0n?e=vqeZXb

Same here. But it used to work just fine! Also my mouse scroll is now inverted (yes, I use Linux, but it was also working fine before).

Maybe there is something to do with 1.12?

Edited by jlcarneiro

4 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Same here. But it used to work just fine! Also my mouse scroll is now inverted (yes, I use Linux, but it was also working fine before).

Maybe there is something to do with 1.12?

The inverted mouse wheel is a KSP bug, will be fixed in the next patch

I'll look at the mod on 1.12

Edit:  I've confirmed that it keeps adding comments to the file on every game start.  This also highlighted another issue 

However, if you don't change parts (ie: add/remove mods), it won't give the popup.

for now, you can just delete the file every once in a while, I'll try to get an update out soon

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer
can you recommend a MM patch I can create to blacklist parts from being processed ?

I still use an old mod 'Modular Rocket Systems' that hasnt been updated in a long time, (I like the cargo bays).

these engine parts from the mod are causing KSP_PartVolumes to fail to generate the partVolumes.cfg file.

NB0mLFOengine1
NB2mNuclearEngine
NB3mHoundEngine

if you would like to look further I'm happy to collect all the logs, all I'd like to do is blacklist the parts (in case I restore the parts from the mod download)

13 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

@linuxgurugamer
can you recommend a MM patch I can create to blacklist parts from being processed ?

I still use an old mod 'Modular Rocket Systems' that hasnt been updated in a long time, (I like the cargo bays).

these engine parts from the mod are causing KSP_PartVolumes to fail to generate the partVolumes.cfg file.

NB0mLFOengine1
NB2mNuclearEngine
NB3mHoundEngine

if you would like to look further I'm happy to collect all the logs, all I'd like to do is blacklist the parts (in case I restore the parts from the mod download)

What happens? I can take a look, MRS is a good mod.

You need to say what happens, along with logs, etc.  No blacklist possible at this time, although it would be fairly easy to add.

for now, do the following as a workaround:

• Remove MRS
  • Start KSP, get to the main menu.  This will generate the partvolumes.cfg file
  • Exit, install MRS
  • Start KSP, ignore the message from Partvolumes and play the game
Edited by linuxgurugamer

13 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

@linuxgurugamer

NB0mLFOengine1
NB2mNuclearEngine
NB3mHoundEngine

I found the problelm

The problem is that MRS uses a resource called HypergolicFluid, but it's not defined anywhere.  I suspect this mod expected to use the old EngineIgnitor, which doesn't use that anymore.

I'll add a check to avoid any issues if a part uses a nonexistent resource

New release, 0.0.2.6

• Added check for missing resource (if resource in tank/engine doesn't exist, ignores it now)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What happens? I can take a look, MRS is a good mod.

Good to hear, I feel like i'm clinging onto the past with some of the parts mods.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I found the problelm

The problem is that MRS uses a resource called HypergolicFluid, but it's not defined anywhere.  I suspect this mod expected to use the old EngineIgnitor, which doesn't use that anymore.

I'll add a check to avoid any issues if a part uses a nonexistent resource

New release, 0.0.2.6

• Added check for missing resource (if resource in tank/engine doesn't exist, ignores it now)

Excellent thank you,

Looking at the parts the resource is in the base part, as opposed to being a patch if the Engine Ignitor mod is installed (which i see you have Re-ignited).
would updating MRS engines moving the HypergolicFluid and ModuleEngineIgnitor module into a MM patch with NEEDS[EngineIgnitor] be the right thing to do ?

6 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

Looking at the parts the resource is in the base part, as opposed to being a patch if the Engine Ignitor mod is installed (which i see you have Re-ignited).
would updating MRS engines moving the HypergolicFluid and ModuleEngineIgnitor module into a MM patch with NEEDS[EngineIgnitor] be the right thing to do ?

Yes, although the only thing that happens in this case is an error during startup.  You may wish to check to see that the engine actually works, or you can just add the NEEDS to the existing part, no need for it to be in a separate file

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is 98 only manipulatable stock parts (packedVolume = -1), that the mod does not proceed.
As now,  we can look into commented section in the partVolumes.cfg, and manually create patches for the parts, but it's too many of them.

1. Could you put checkbox in the gui, "proceed also only manipulatable parts" ?

2. And as addition to the blacklist, also there could be whitelist, that will force creating patch for parts, even if they already have the ModuleCargoPart.

10 hours ago, flart said:

I'll look into it

10 hours ago, flart said:

also there could be whitelist, that will force creating patch for parts, even if they already have the ModuleCargoPart.

Not really needed, since they already have the patch.  Creating second patches is not trivial, and can lead to issues I'd rather not get into.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer.

There is an issue with adding ModuleCargoPart to parts with the Inventory Module.  I've asked about it on the MM forum page here. 

This  also affects this mod.  If you have suggestions or patch to fix it please let me know!

Peace.

Actually doesn't affect this mod directly, but affects what this mod does.  

Anyway, I wonder if ModuleInventoryPart will include the ModuleCargoPart, i'll have to check

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer.

There is an issue with adding ModuleCargoPart to parts with the Inventory Module.  I've asked about it on the MM forum page here. 

This  also affects this mod.  If you have suggestions or patch to fix it please let me know!

Peace.

From what I can tell,  the ones with it both are the ones where the packedVolume == -1, which means it can be manipulated, but can't be put into inventory.

My guess is the idea is that ModuleInventoryPart means it can contain other parts in inventory, but it can't be put into an inventory on another part

I'll have to add a check for ModuleInventoryPart into the mod,  good timing, I'm working on it now

Probably related: I've noticed that with this mod installed, the VAB part descriptions for the Breaking Ground deployable science parts show both a Cargo Part module ("cannot be placed in a storage container but can be manipulated in EVA construction") and an Inventory Part module ("a cargo part that can be placed in inventories").  Despite what the first one of those says, the parts can still be placed in inventories and deployed by kerbals, so despite the confusing message I don't see an actual problem  — though I haven't tested beyond the quick smoke-test of deploying one on the launchpad.  I haven't looked at technical details, but presumably this is caused by having both ModuleCargoPart and ModuleInventoryPart.  Without the Part Volume mod, the Breaking Ground deployables only appear as inventory parts, not cargo parts.

Edited by Wyzard

I am using compare tool, to see difference between partVolumes.cfg generated some time ago by one of the previous version for 1.11.2, and now by the last version for 1.12.2.

all looking good, except

CryoEngines/Parts/MethaloxEngines/1875/cryoengine-iguanodon-1/cryoengine-iguanodon-1
changed from 11181 liters to 3892503 liters,
since it is just 1.875 engine first value probably right.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, flart said:

I am using compare tool, to see difference between partVolumes.cfg generated some time ago by one of the previous version for 1.11.2, and now by the last version for 1.12.2.

all looking good, except

CryoEngines/Parts/MethaloxEngines/1875/cryoengine-iguanodon-1/cryoengine-iguanodon-1

Probably, but you should take a look at the values for the dimensions for that engine.  Specificaly, the Bounding Box Size.  That is merely the size of the box of the three dimensions of the part.  If one of the numbers is off, then that will throw off the size.

I'll be adding the dimensions into the next release, so you can see where the numbers come from

On 8/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, flart said:

all looking good, except

Probably, but you should take a look at the values for the dimensions for that engine.  Specifically, the Bounding Box Size.  That is merely the size of the box of the three dimensions of the part.  If one of the numbers is off, then that will throw off the size.

I'll be adding the dimensions into the next release, so you can see where the numbers come from.

For some reason, the dimensions reported by KSP for the bounding box are way off for that engine:

// CryoEngines/Parts/MethaloxEngines/1875/cryoengine-iguanodon-1/cryoengine-iguanodon-1
// Dimensions: x: 25.98, y: 5.77, z: 25.98
// Bounding Box Size: 3892503 liters

No idea why, did it change recently?  

On 8/11/2021 at 1:31 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

On 8/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, flart said:

I'll look into it

manipulable parts are not only stock, like there could be  packedVolume = -1 mods parts, that user could want to process independently from process/not process stock parts.

(I have watched VOD of the stream from last week, where you was working on it)

Edited by flart

16 minutes ago, flart said:

manipulable parts are not only stock, like there could be  packedVolume = -1 mods parts, that user could want to process independently from process/not process stock parts.

(I have watched VOD of the stream from last week, where you was working on it)

Yes, true.  The code actually did that, I just fixed the dialog box

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.