N1 Rocket Mod, where did it go?

tk5800thesecond

A little while ago (0.11.1 I think) there was an N1 Rocket mod, but since then it has all but disappeared , I have been recreating the Russian rocket like the Soyuz using the Nova-punch pack but the N1 rocket just doesn't work with this pack, is there still a download link for this mod or are there any plans to resurrect this mod?

The parts were originally from SIDR (Nova's first part pack that's now part of NovaPunch) but when NP grew in size, I had to move the parts out of the pack.

Nova was considering remastering them a while back, but he didn't have time then and obviously doesn't now with his new duties. There was another user working on the rocket using new models I think, but I haven't seen an update on that in a while.

I had kind of hoped to get around to fixing them up a little and releasing them, but I have barely had time to keep my current releases up to date.

I am not sure if the old SIDR thread still has a working download link. I couldn't repost SIDR without adding a license and all that jazz, so right now, I'm not sure where you can find the old parts.

Aha, there you go.

Here's a screenshot. I just scaled them up to take one of the 3man pods, which is what I would assume wouldbe closest to "correct"

SxezU.jpg

I actually don't recall which SIDR engines were being used for the 2nd and 3rd stages in this setup.

I am also interested in the upscaled version if Nova, the original author, complies with it's release. Would be so awesome. A user here named Mivanit is making some soviet inspired things and i'm very excited about that project. I'ts almost as i'm starting to faint when i see before me a massive N1 carrying a Soyuz with Gagarinski Kerman on board for the stars! POYEKHALI!

Edited by Raticon

is there any way you can post the upscaled version? (if its not too much trouble)

It's pretty easy to do yourself. Just go into your parts folder, and go into each part of the N-1 pack, and find the "part.cfg" file. Open this with a basic word editor, and look for:

scale = (some number, probably 0.1)

and replace it with:

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

and start fiddling with the rescaleFactor value (try 2 or 3).

I tested the original one and i liked it for what it was, but i quickly found out that it needed a few struts to avoid it breaking apart a few hundred meters up from the launchpad. Given a bit of upscaling and a slight redesign of the model as you implied it would be a great rocket for us who are inspired by historical models.

In it's current, basic state it's decent for lifting moderate loads into low-kerbin orbit or very light loads around the Mun and back, but i haven't managed to fit anything that resembles a manned lander with return-to-home capability to it with any success...

It's pretty easy to do yourself. Just go into your parts folder, and go into each part of the N-1 pack, and find the "part.cfg" file. Open this with a basic word editor, and look for:

scale = (some number, probably 0.1)

and replace it with:

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

and start fiddling with the rescaleFactor value (try 2 or 3).

Pretty much. You don't want to change "scale = whatever" as that will mess up the attach/stack nodes, and its not really related to scaling the meshes. rescaleFactor is what you're looking for.

My quick rescale used

rescaleFactor = 2.5

which doubled the original size. I don't know that it would be the best scale in the end, though.

mivanit: Sending you a PM.

I tested the original one and i liked it for what it was, but i quickly found out that it needed a few struts to avoid it breaking apart a few hundred meters up from the launchpad. Given a bit of upscaling and a slight redesign of the model as you implied it would be a great rocket for us who are inspired by historical models.

In it's current, basic state it's decent for lifting moderate loads into low-kerbin orbit or very light loads around the Mun and back, but i haven't managed to fit anything that resembles a manned lander with return-to-home capability to it with any success...

Well, the real N1 was notorious for breaking up about 60 seconds into the flight.

• 6 months later...

Hello all! I don't know if anyone checks this post anymore, but I am, on and off, as time allows, working on making a historically accurate N1 mod. I have completed about 75% of the 3d modelling...I still need to work on the LK and LOK capsules, IVA's included...

Here are some pics of the rocket parts so far.

Cockpit_LK.png

IVA for LK. I might still modify this.

Decoupler1.png

Decoupler

Decoupler2.png

Decoupler

Descent_Engine.png

LK small engine

Engine_X4.png

Engine Cluster (Blok B)

Engine_X8.png

Engine Cluster (Blok V)

Engine_X32.png

The famous 30 engines...

Fairing.png

Upper-stage Fairings

Fuel1.png

Fuel Tank

Fuel2.png

Intermediate Fuel Tank

Fuel3.png

Blok A fuel

Kontakt_System.png

Docking port

LKLegs1.png

Landing legs for the LK

LKModule1.png

LK module

RCSModule.png

RCS for the LK

Tower.png

Escape tower

The 3d modelling, as you can see, is almost done. I still need to fine-tune the IVA for the LK and finish the LOK module. Then comes the fun part: configuring everything! :)

Edited by game91

Here are some pics of the rocket parts so far.

*Pics clipped out to save space and other things*

The 3d modelling, as you can see, is almost done. I still need to fine-tune the IVA for the LK and finish the LOK module. Then comes the fun part: configuring everything! :)

These look really good and I can't wait to see them in game! Some of these parts are already out there, BUT there's absolutely nothing wrong at all with having a couple different versions of the same crafts. :)

I'm REALLY glad you're including Blocks V and B as no one has made those yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.