[1.12.x] Benjee10's Historical Kerbal Suits | Custom Space Suits & Space Helmets - Apollo, ACES, Sokol & more! | [Orion suit!] | v1.1.0

benjee10

3 hours ago, debaker02 said:

Hmmm except the CMP did go on Eva in earlier fights.  I thought the second set of ports were so they could share life support in emergency on the moon?

Dave Scott was the only pre-15 CMP that did an EVA, and that was only a stand-up, so he could just use his standard hookups. For the longer SIM bay EVAs the suit needed to be a bit different I imagine to support an umbilical and the oxygen purge system. 

On the A7L, the bottom four connectors were for oxygen, the upper left was for electrical connections, and the upper right was for cooling water. The CMP just had two oxygen connectors and the electrical port since they'd only wear their suit for launch, landing, and in the event of depressurisation, the cooling water port wasn't necessary. On the A7LB the connectors were re-arranged because of the addition of a waist joint for added mobility for the longer moonwalks. The CMP had all the connectors except the water cooling port.

Edited by TaintedLion

1 hour ago, Weegee_Spaghetti said:

Are those different Kerbal appearances a mod? I'd really love a mod that gives more kerbal variety. Are there any?

Yes, Benjee also makes this mod:

These are high-quality Kerbal heads based on real astronauts.

The mod requires TextureReplacer, which comes with a plugin for switching heads, and contains its own set of low-quality heads.

• 4 weeks later...

Why does the mod need Engine/Size2LFB_v2?

@PART[kerbalEVA*]:NEEDS[Squad/Parts/Engine/Size2LFB_v2]
{
  %MODULE[KerbalPropController] {}
}

I have deleted most squad parts from my gamedata folder. I have deleted the :NEEDS part but am still curious. 

Edited by dave1904

17 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Why does the mod need Engine/Size2LFB_v2?

@PART[kerbalEVA*]:NEEDS[Squad/Parts/Engine/Size2LFB_v2]
{
  %MODULE[KerbalPropController] {}
}

I have deleted most squad parts from my gamedata folder. I have deleted the :NEEDS part but am still curious. 

I believe that is how the mod checks for whether you have 1.10 or later installed. 

Hello again, Benjee!

There was an idea that haunted me since I've tried your mod for the first time, but I kinda dismissed it because it has a certain assimetry to itself, but this night something clicked in, and I realized it can go both ways.

Can your plugin handle both adding helmet and a backpack-type wearables? To be more precise, even stock ones would be enough, and I don't feel that this idea merits working on any additional assets.

If so, is it possible and would it be appropriate to add some functionality to helmet parts?

I was always thinking about how EMU helmet assembly actually isn't a useful choice for EVA activity because it means that both inventory slots are taken up by it and jetpack, while the obvious choice for station-based EVA is having jetpack and 1) a small part to place on the station itself, 2) a repair kit, maybe 3) an EVA science kit or 4) a fuel cylinder.

It could be more useful though if it combined some functionality in itself. I always thought about fuel cylinders in this regards as of something non-consumable. But this sounded very arbitrary, wasn't really visually obvious and just didn't feel right.

But what if mod included two optional versions of either helmet options in the form of patches replacing the default ones or just adding alternatives?

ACES helmet could have a version with both it and a stock parachute (as a closest to a useful thing in landing scenario), and EMU head assembly could contain an EVA jetpack (as a closest version to both MMU and SAFER).

Additionaly, if this

On 4/27/2021 at 3:32 AM, Jim Pickle said:

Is there a way to to equip a prop while in IVA, such as the "Advanced crew escape helmet"?  

idea will be proven to be feasible, both ACES/EMU parts occupying inventory would pretty much be analogous to stock loadout but in a shuttle (and Orion) style.

Edited by nothingSpecial
if -> it

Hey guys sorry if this is a dumb question, I hope I'm asking this in the right place. But I noticed that the EMU Helmet Light and the other Helmet props don't show up on the Kerbal. I'm playing on the latest version which is above 1.11 right? So I thought they should work but they only show up as a backpack on the kerbal. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry if its simple I'm just an idiot lol.

I also tried playing on different betas to see if they would work there but nothing.

Edited by cadeksp
update

Interesting mod.  I'll be looking at this in more detail.  I may want to integrate this with Ship Manifest.  I'm looking at building my own interface for suit management.  There are things I can learn from the code base.

I'll see if integration is necessary and if I can leverage it.  I do want the capability stand alone, so I'll look at what needs to be done.

8 hours ago, ksp player said:

I wanna use this with RSS/RO, but I use 1.10.1, is this a problem?

Iirc, the suit loader system is not compatible with versions of KSP before 1.11.1.  Changes were made to the system in KSP around that time...  Correct me if I'm wrong...

10 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

Interesting mod.  I'll be looking at this in more detail.  I may want to integrate this with Ship Manifest.  I'm looking at building my own interface for suit management.  There are things I can learn from the code base.

I'll see if integration is necessary and if I can leverage it.  I do want the capability stand alone, so I'll look at what needs to be done.

Iirc, the suit loader system is not compatible with versions of KSP before 1.11.1.  Changes were made to the system in KSP around that time...  Correct me if I'm wrong...

I've been using this mod with my KSP RSS/RO/RP1 save with no problem at all. I am also running 1.10.1.

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2021 at 12:13 AM, benjee10 said:

IVA suit replacement via a custom plugin, so you actually get to see the suits in IVA! This can also be applied to your own custom suits - simply use the IVA{} block in the suit combos to define your IVA textures. The EMU suit uses the ACES orange suit as an IVA texture. 

Hello Benjee, I have a question, how can I use this functionality proper? I kitbashed myself some suits with aesthetic that I'd like to see on my kerbanaughts, woth the system that is like your ACES/MMU for IVA/EVA, with colored accents on IVA suits as well.

But unfortunately I can't make it work and they still use default IVA suits.

I started with IVA suit themselves just to test things out, and here is my config (a kinda older version)

As you can see, I don't specify neither normal map nor icon, because I'm fine with default ones, may this be the reason why IVA replacement plugin doesn't work? I tried replicating spacing between brackets as close as possible, and also removed space in the folder name. I planned to replicate your mod's folder structure today (as you can see my suitpack is basically just one folder right now) but wanted to ask, maybe i miss something.

Okay, nevermind, I got it to work. The normal maps are really needed, I guess.

But I realized that what I thought was a bug on my side caused by some other mod interfering with textures (I used TURD for sometime and thought that TU could cause issues) wasn't a bug at all.

ACES texture uses EVA texture unwrap (the one where one half of the helmet is just a mirror of another). Any suit texture that is applied inside of crewed parts uses IVA unwrap - the one that has both sides of the helmet continuously drawn, with the top in the middle and bottom on the both sides.

If ACES suit is worn inside a part internal of which states that helmets are on, you can see that half of the helmet is orange.

• 1 month later...

Hi,  I tried to Update Cormorant Aeronology  MMU and I thought somebody might want to download it, so here it is.   I placed it in a  folder titled 'MMU' inside the parts folder, and thats where the part file CFG has been configured to.   Feel free to change it though.     

[Download link removed by moderator]

This is a part though, not a cargo piece like the parts in this mod, so it needs to be  placed in the VAB.   It can be entered and left just like the external command seat.

The center of mass was unbalanced a little so I moved it down.   It fits fine with the Headlamps in this mod.    This also does not have any cargo slots in it, but they can be added.

Here where you can find the original part: 

Edited by Snark
Download link removed by moderator

13 hours ago, Tundra said:

Hi,  I tried to Update Cormorant Aeronology  MMU and I thought somebody might want to download it, so here it is. 

Hello,

We're sorry, but unfortunately Cormorant Aeronology's license does not permit this:

On 9/2/2015 at 1:40 AM, Pak said:

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International

The "No Derivatives" clause of the license means that you're not allowed to make any modifications to the mod and then distribute the modified copy.  What it boils down to is that nobody but the original author can update the mod.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.  Thank you for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, kasanasa123 said:

Is the custom plugin already in the mod? because this is a great mod but the emu helmet thing wont work..

Did you equip it with the right suit type? ACES helmet works with all suit types but EMU headlights assembly is modelled specifically for standard helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

@benjee10 I have a lil question about how to use ModuleWearableProp, as I want to use my own prop  for personal use in order to have an extended EVA backpack for Kerbalism.
This is what you have in your wiki:

attachTransform Name of the bone used to attach the prop

All i need to know is the proper code words for bones in this line. I want the prop to be attached to the back of the kerbal like the jetpack does, but I don't know the names of the bones as I don't have much notion of programming.
And certainly I have not been able to find the EVA model and look for the name myself...
This is what it have written on my .CFG

MODULE
	{
    		name = ModuleCargoPart    
    		stackableQuantity = 1
    		packedVolume = 5
			reinitResourcesOnStoreInVessel = true
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWearableProp
		moduleId = EVAExtender
		propType = PROP
		// propType = HELMET - Replaces Helmet
		// propType = HELMETPROP - Sits ontop of the helmet
		// propType = PROP - Anything else
		disableHelmet = false
		attachTransform = helmet
		positionOffset = 0,0,-0.06
		rotationOffset = 0,0,0
	}

Will it be attached to the back if I delete the line?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.