21 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

I gave it a stab, took a few tries but when I did finally manage to stick a landing, the plane bounced off some ten seconds later.

I definitely need a bigger boat, though at 112 parts the one in the video is at the limit of practicality. I could resort to Tweakscale (and have) but I think I'll just repurpose carriers for smaller drones instead...

Will definitely try again. It was fun ;)

The action starts at around 3:33

Very nice carrier although I'd definitely recommend moving the island off to the starboard side of the ship for ease of landing although it does limit the firing arc of your turrets as you'll be firing over the flight deck.

also either cut down on the amount of panthers and add more intakes as a lot of the engines appear to be flaming out on launch. in my own testing a TWR of around 0.11 to 0.18 provides a realistic speed for a carrier but I'm sure it can easily be improved

also also, I'd definitely recommend switching to goliaths given they have more thrust, are more efficient and already include an intake. Usually if I'm making a CVF i'll use some mark 3 fuselages under the main deck , creating a more boat-like shape whilst also allowing somewhere to receive anywhere from 8 to 16 goliaths with good spacing.

also also also just an FYI but you can turn off the wave interaction with vessels in the scatterer config file which makes it so much easier to land and take cinematic shots with.

12 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

I'd definitely recommend moving the island off to the starboard side of the ship for ease of landing

Oh yeah absolutely, I threw it together ages ago and never actually used it until now. I only built it to say I had made a carrier, and to take fleet screenshots. Engineering something practical will take more work.

14 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

also either cut down on the amount of panthers and add more intakes as a lot of the engines appear to be flaming out on launch

All my ships have that problem. But it's not really a problem. Once they get up to speed the engines get enough air and there's no loss of total thrust. Adding extra intakes is just extra parts, in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

goliaths

I partially agree with this in regards to the carrier, but they don't fit most of my boats. None of my water craft have reaction wheels or control surfaces, so they rely entirely on the swivel range of the panthers to maneuver. The most engines I ever have on ships is twelve, and between that and Goliath engines plus control surfaces and/or reaction wheels it ends up being more or less the same.

They definitely have their use though, I just haven't made ships that are entirely compatible with them. Yet. I'm currently trying to come up with entirely new lines of ships and I'll definitely look to incorporate a Goliath or two in the designs

37 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

I'd definitely recommend switching to goliaths given they have more thrust, are more efficient and already include an intake.

I also highly recommend Goliaths to power ships, I’ve had fantastic results with them.  However, I found that extra intakes are sometimes needed.  I think that is due to the intake of the Goliath being blocked by the ship, but I could be wrong.  I found the Goliath would work fine at lower power settings, but would flame out at high power settings unless I added extra intakes.

Here’s a link to an entry in the Elcano challenge showing a ship which circumnavigated Kerbin by sea, stopping only once for fuel.  Uses a Goliath, with a few extra intakes.  A side benefit to the massive thrust and efficiency of the Goliath is your fuel goes much farther.  Or, you need much less fuel to accomplish the same task.  Boat efficiency in KSP is very much affected by how low it sits in the water.

Edit- Just re-read my post, turns out the Goliath was only having air issues at 4X time warp, otherwise was working fine..

Edited by 18Watt

exhibit B:

there are clearly AL aircraft carriers, as shown by the photo.

Screenshot-2022-03-01-12-53-13-PM.png

exhibit C: the aircraft carrier list

Screenshot-2022-03-01-12-56-48-PM.png

i think i won

(p.s. the list is too long to be on a chromebook's screen at once, LOL)

Managed it after some difficulty :D

However I've decided that this sort of carrier is pretty unfeasible in the stock game (hence its explosive retirement). I think I'll opt instead for a ramp that leads up onto the deck, so that splashed planes can simply push themselves up. It's particularly fitting seeing as how the plane in the video is literally a boat that I slapped wings onto, and looks sort of like a fish.

Either that or I'll make mobile docks and fit planes with grabby arms.

Edit: Unfeasible for my current computer's CPU, I mean.

Edited by Earthlinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.