The Kerbal Crane Challenge - Make an accurate crane replica in KSP (Preferably Liebherr, but any brand of crane will be fine.)

Who here can make an all terrain mobile crane in KSP that looks as close to the real crane as possible? (Actually, I would prefer all-terrain mobile cranes, but any crane from tower cranes to crawler cranes to ring cranes would be fine, as long as they look close to the real thing.

EDIT TO CHALLENGE RULES: Participants can either attempt to make the most realistic looking crane, or a crane with the highest lifting capacity, even if it is not aesthetically realistic.

download17.jpg download18.jpg download20.jpg                f6bKerbalCraneChallenge.png                      

Here is the challenge badge or whatever you want to call it. If you want to participate, add it to your signature! I recommend scaling it down to about 256x160.

Here are mine, including the Kiebherr KTM 1120-4.3, Kiebherr KTM 1030-2.1, Kiebherr KTM 1300-6.2, and Kiebherr KTC 1050-3.1.  Sorry there are so many pictures, but I use Kerbal Space Program more like Kerbal Crane Simulator. As Hans Kiebherr always said, "Why go to space when you can lift the stars themselves?"

Spoiler

vlcsnap2021040313h28.png 3f7vlcsnap2021040313h28.pnge3vlcsnap2021040313h28.png

4davlcsnap2021040313h29.png

848vlcsnap2021040313h29.png 951vlcsnap2021040313h29.png

5b4vlcsnap2021040313h29.png

5aavlcsnap2021040313h29.png c1evlcsnap2021040313h30.png 369vlcsnap2021040313h30.png68dvlcsnap2021040313h48.png c56vlcsnap2021040313h48.png 3fcvlcsnap2021040313h48.pngd9cvlcsnap2021040313h48.png 27bvlcsnap2021040313h48.png 4efvlcsnap2021040313h48.png

Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of some of the cranes shown here.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman
I forgot to add my cranes, and the challenge logo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Max von Kerman that's pretty good! Although next time, maybe add things like outriggers, have more realistic looking cabs, and use the offset tool to place hydraulic cylinders inside of other cylinders (Then use rigid attachment) as the telescopic boom. Still, that's not bad at all! I should probably add to the instructions that it doesn't have to be able to lift much (Mine can't, mostly because I use the rotation servos as slewing gears, but they are SO frickin' floppy) and you can use whatever mods or DLCs you want (I use KAS, Tweakscale, both DLCs, and sometimes a part or two from Space Center Vehicles for my cranes.

P.S. Does anyone know of any good robotics mods that has parts (Including hydraulic cylinders) of varying size, and has rotation servos or similar parts that look like this?: 

:s-l500.jpg

It doesn't need to have gear teeth, but it does need to be wider than the Breaking Ground servos, and a little shorter.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

On 4/3/2021 at 12:15 AM, Ben J. Kerman said:                                                                               

e3vlcsnap2021040313h28.png

951vlcsnap2021040313h29.png

d9cvlcsnap2021040313h48.png

Nice crane work there. How did you make the cabs? From a mod?

I use Tweakscaled I-Beams and structural panels (One of the best mods ever!!! Thanks @Lisias!), and sometimes the Making History structural panels. Besides that, I use Breaking Ground to make the crane actually function, and more I-beams and panels for the frame. The boom is structural fuselages, with telescopic hydraulic cylinders inside it. I occasionally use the parts from Space Center Vehicles  to make part of a crane, but I don't think I have done that with the Kiebherr cranes. The winches on all of my cranes are KAS.

• 1 month later...

That's pretty good! I recommend using KAS for winches instead of hydraulic cylinders next time, and maybe a telescopic boom, but those are harder to do. Where did you get those truck parts and those outriggers? I want them! 

8 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

That's pretty good! I recommend using KAS for winches instead of hydraulic cylinders next time, and maybe a telescopic boom, but those are harder to do. Where did you get those truck parts and those outriggers? I want them! 

Just found them myself 2 days ago when looking for car mods. Called Grounded Modular Vehicles. Here is the page on spacedock where you can download.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1715/Grounded - Modular Vehicles#

And from there I just found their forum thread. I haven't delved deeply into it yet but it seems very versatile.

I built the crane in an install that is as close to stock as possible, for developing configs that most can use, so KAS isn't installed. One of these days I will load back up my heavy mod game which has all those things.

Edited by ColdJ

That mod looks AWESOME! Especially since half of what I do in KSP is ground vehicles! And I thought Space Center Vehicles was cool. I will definitely download that soon. Thanks!

What version of KSP does that mod work on? I think I have 1.11.2. Does Grounded Modular Vehicles work with that version?

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

I learnt the hard way that pistons don't like to be resized. So finally the booms stay where I attached them when building.

Yes I adapted parts to make your telescoping boom. Used the fuel tank mesh to make the boom parts and have re-enforced and upgraded the pistons, hinges and servo to make them work for a crane. Seems over 4 ton might be a bit heavy for it.

2ZdSh1C.png

RqXLxuq.pngMe3ixWi.pngHy6UBpL.pngtHrRSBh.pngfBr7PDl.png

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I learnt the hard way that pistons don't like to be resized.

What do you mean "resized"? I have tweakscaled and have never been able to change the size of any breaking ground parts.

That crane looks great! A little less accurate to real life cranes, but what my cranes gain in beauty and realism they pay for in lifting capacity. My cranes can't lift much at all. If you want to, you can add the challenge badge that is at the top of the page to your signature! That goes for anybody who has participated.

21 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

What do you mean "resized"? I have tweakscaled and have never been able to change the size of any breaking ground parts.

That crane looks great! A little less accurate to real life cranes, but what my cranes gain in beauty and realism they pay for in lifting capacity. My cranes can't lift much at all. If you want to, you can add the challenge badge that is at the top of the page to your signature! That goes for anybody who has participated.

Cool. I mean go into the config and resize the part using the "rescaleFactor =" parameter. Then change the hard max and soft max extension parameter in the piston motor so that I don't have 1 half slide right out of the other half. But all for nought as it shrinks the boom piece attached to it when you extend the piston. Also it would never stay where I put it when building it. So same size pistons with upgraded motors only. Even then it seems a little twitchy. Possibly because it is large boom, piston, medlarge boom, piston, med boom, piston, Structural cubic times 4 then hinge with another piston. Still, finally got somewhere and the towing hitch from the mod pack works as a way of picking things up.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 4:18 AM, Ben J. Kerman said:

Yeah, it's really cool!

I know I'm reviving a centuries old thread, but does anyone here know if Grounded Modular Vehicles is compatible with 1.12.0?

Edited by Second Hand Rocket Science

On 8/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

Here's my submission to this great challenge! (May take a sec to upload...)

Nice crane! Not bad realism-wise either, especially trying to design it so the crane can actually lift stuff, although I use KAS for winches/cables instead of just using cylinders, but the winches don't lift stuff as well. If you would like, you can put the challenge badge in your signature! 

How did you get all those extra KSC facilities? Is it Kerbal Konstructs, because I have never gotten it to work on 1.12.3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.