[1.12.x] [BG] Planetside Exploration Technologies | Surface bases, NASA MMSEV, wind turbines & more! | v1.0.2

benjee10

On 4/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, benjee10 said:

Planetside Exploration Technologies | V1.0.1 | Stockalike MMSEV & Surface Bases

Planetside Exploration Technologies adds a suite of parts designed to support planetary surface operations, from small outposts to expansive modular bases in the furthest corners of the solar system.

Key features include:

PLANETSIDE EXPLORATION VEHICLE

The Planetside Exploration Vehicle is a small, multi-purpose spacecraft which can be configured in two ways - as a surface exploration rover, or a free-flying deep space excursion pod. On the surface, Breaking Ground-enabled rotary wheels allow the vehicle to move in any direction, making  docking & manoeuvring easy. In space, the craft can be fitted with a custom made monopropellant tank and a modular grabbing unit, making it ideal for exploring asteroids, or as a space station construction tug. 

screenshot133.pngscreenshot132.png

PLANETSIDE BASE SYSTEM

To accompany the rover, Planetside features a complete set of 1.875m surface base parts, including a science lab, habitation modules, and even a greenhouse. Combined with a set of adapters and ground platforms, the base parts are designed to fit together perfectly and provide a perfectly-aligned set of docking ports for the Planetside rover. Additionally, a set of hydraulic jacks make moving modules around easy - install a small docking port on the underside, raise the jacks, and drive an empty rover platform underneath before carrying it to its destination! 

All parts are designed with surface bases in mind, but would work equally well used on an orbital station or spaceship! 

screenshot146.pngscreenshot143.pngscreenshot135.png

3.75m BASE PARTS

Along with the 1.875m surface base parts, Planetside features colossal 3.75m, vertically oriented base parts, inspired by NASA’s Habitat Demonstration Unit modules. These parts offer huge amounts of living space, as well as an inflatable attic for storing naughty kerbals supplies. 

screenshot140.pngscreenshot137.png

WIND POWER

Unique to Planetside Exploration Technologies is a new way of generating electricity in Kerbal Space Program: wind power. Using a custom plugin, a complete set of wind turbines allow you to draw power on atmospheric bodies even when the Sun won't shine. Just make sure to pack the right one - turbines are optimised for different environments, so pick the wrong type and you may end up generating no power at all, or worse, destroying your precious turbines in high winds! 

Wind turbines come in three different types: 

• Tracking - automatically track into the wind direction
  • Static - Require manually pointing into the wind direction
  • Vertical-axis - spin perpendicular to the wind direction

The Planetside wind turbine plugin is simple but robust, basing power yields on atmospheric density, wind direction and a random fluctuation. Because of this it will work out-of-the-box with any planet mod. Planetside also offers difficulty settings to configure the wind turbines to your liking, such as disabling breakable turbines or adjusting the frequency of power outages. 

screenshot159.pngscreenshot158.png

A UI toggled in the Part Action Window helps to align wind turbines with the wind direction. 

screenshot160.png

FULL INTERNALS

Every crewable part is just as detailed on the inside as the outside!

screenshot147.pngscreenshot154.pngscreenshot152.pngscreenshot155.png

USER SCREENSHOTS (may feature other mods):

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot46.png

screenshot38.png

screenshot2.png

(By JayTheAmazing)

C25DBnu.jpeg

ZNYjJmU.jpeg

(by ElonMusket)

screenshot1670.png

screenshot1671.png

screenshot1312.png

(By Zarbon)

DEPENDENCIES

Planetside requires B9PartSwitch, ModuleManager, HabTechProps, and Benjee10_sharedAssets to function, all of which are bundled in the download. 

Rotating wheel mounts & wind turbine servos require the KSP Breaking Ground DLC. 
Support is provided for TAC Life Support. 
In theory this mod should be compatible with previous KSP versions going back to 1.8.0, but please backup your saves before you try it!

DOWNLOAD (SPACEDOCK)

DOWNLOAD & SOURCE (GITHUB)

CREDITS

Art by @benjee10

Plugin by @ValiZockt

Huge thanks to Vali for making this possible & creating an awesome plugin that brings something really new to the game. Big love <3

can you now make full internals for habtech?

20 hours ago, Rocketology said:

@benjee10 Already so much praise in here from some heavy hitters, not sure it's possible to pour more sugar on the work you have achieved here, well done! And the video, is fantastic!

Thanks very much!

21 hours ago, Beccab said:

Fantastic mod, I love messing with the rover! Are more 0.9375m parts planned?

That's a nice rover design! I probably won't be adding much more in the 0.9375m size range in this mod at least. There are some 0.9375m scale crew tubes in SOCK though.

19 hours ago, Adam-Kerman said:

Jamestown Base

Inspired from For All Mankind

Nice!

13 hours ago, MaximumMatt said:

Is there any way to make the rover wheels turn 90° without selecting each individual one and editing the angle? maybe a key to press or something? 

You can either use the KAL controller, or uncheck 'allow full rotation' on the parts in the VAB and set the allowed rotation to 0-90°. Then you can assign 'set max angle' and 'set min angle' to action groups to toggle between them easily. 

19 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I think you just made base building fun!

yeah, the only thing I need to figure out is how to bring the stuff onto a planet/moon, since I do not use nertea's mods in my BDB save (I use his stuff in another save very extensively and my BDB save already has to many mods so it lags) and stuff like BDBs Lunar lander decent stage seems to old (I mean old like a gemini docking with the ISS)

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

yeah, the only thing I need to figure out is how to bring the stuff onto a planet/moon, since I do not use nertea's mods in my BDB save (I use his stuff in another save very extensively and my BDB save already has to many mods so it lags) and stuff like BDBs Lunar lander decent stage seems to old (I mean old like a gemini docking with the ISS)

You could just get NFLV/Cryoengines and have the modern engines without everything else. On the other hand, this mod looks a lot more modern than BDB stuff is so maybe it would just fit better in your other save?

Found bug by @Falken#1543 on the r/ksp discord: 

If you have ReDIRECT installed and then install the planetary base mod as well, there is a conflict between two parts. Namely the KJ-10 Viking engine and the C-100 docking node
it causes null-refs if you add the original versions of these parts onto a ship in the VAB
I will try to recreate. I fixed it by deleting Benjee10_sharedassets folder and then grabbing the same folder again from ReDIRECT

Nothing more, Falken is not sure if he's got a log file or not.

16 minutes ago, Hypercore said:

Found bug by @Falken#1543 on the r/ksp discord: 

Nothing more, Falken is not sure if he's got a log file or not.

The version of sharedAssets bundled with reDIRECT is outdated, you should replace with the one included with this mod. 

39 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

You could just get NFLV/Cryoengines and have the modern engines without everything else. On the other hand, this mod looks a lot more modern than BDB stuff is so maybe it would just fit better in your other save?

BDB and Provenance with the RL-10s and BE-7 respectively are already used in my BDB save, I only need structure stuff

also PET uses also the 0.9375m size which isn't featured in my Nertea save

also I just don't want to combine Near future stuff with BDB stuff, I love both, but I personally don't want to combine them

14 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Beautiful textures.   Will you take requests for other parts?

Hi.  A request please.

A docking port that is same style, with open variant so that kerbals don't look so awkward when exiting a crewed part through it. perhaps fitting the full 1.875m space?

Also an attachment node below the habitats could be useful too.

Peace.