[1.12.x] [BG] Planetside Exploration Technologies | Surface bases, NASA MMSEV, wind turbines & more! | v1.0.2

benjee10

Also @benjee10

Does the Structural Support Unit really need  a probe core?  I get it for the vehicle chassis, which could possibly be moved to Command modules as it is a RoveMate equivalent, but the Structural Support Unit seems more akin to the Module Adapter. 

5 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Also @benjee10

Does the Structural Support Unit really need  a probe core?  I get it for the vehicle chassis, which could possibly be moved to Command modules as it is a RoveMate equivalent, but the Structural Support Unit seems more akin to the Module Adapter. 

Since the modules themselves are mostly not command parts, you need a way of controlling them once they’ve been disconnected from the rover base (to raise/lower the hydraulic jacks etc). That’s why that part has a probe core, though it’s quite a weak one that’s really only meant for triggering animations and robotics parts.

Not sure what you mean by the big docking port suggestion - could you elaborate?

1 minute ago, benjee10 said:

Since the modules themselves are mostly not command parts, you need a way of controlling them once they’ve been disconnected from the rover base (to raise/lower the hydraulic jacks etc). That’s why that part has a probe core, though it’s quite a weak one that’s really only meant for triggering animations and robotics parts.

Not sure what you mean by the big docking port suggestion - could you elaborate?

Fair enough on the Structural Support.

For the Androgynous Docking Port, it calls itself an intermediate port, but has  a diameter that doesn't extend to 1.25m like the stock 1.25 does with its skirt?  Is it supposed to dock with stock docking ports?  if not ie ADP to ADP only, could they be wider?  It doesn't 'fit' over the doors of the crewed parts neatly.

5 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Fair enough on the Structural Support.

For the Androgynous Docking Port, it calls itself an intermediate port, but has  a diameter that doesn't extend to 1.25m like the stock 1.25 does with its skirt?  Is it supposed to dock with stock docking ports?  if not ie ADP to ADP only, could they be wider?  It doesn't 'fit' over the doors of the crewed parts neatly.

It is APAS to APAS only, not compatible with the stock ports - there is a 0.9375 to 1.25 adapter included which will fit over the doors (you can see this in the promo images). You could also use the docking ports from HabTech which are 1.25m but just a hollow ring.

16 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

It is APAS to APAS only, not compatible with the stock ports - there is a 0.9375 to 1.25 adapter included which will fit over the doors (you can see this in the promo images). You could also use the docking ports from HabTech which are 1.25m but just a hollow ring.

HabTech it is then!

I’d like to avoid adding attachment nodes where there isn’t any visible attachment structure - especially on a cylindrical object where anything attached there would look like it was floating/not properly connected. Better to use the radial attachment part provided, or one of the stock radial attachment points.

I was just saying to myself the other day I'd like a more 'For All Mankind' approach. Thanks for this.

Not designed any bases yet but I did make a lander. (Reusable single stage)

bm1d2Kk.jpg

gGryefK.png

S6iL3gq.png

20 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I wish there was a bottom ode for that pod so we could make cool lander like thta

There is a surface attachment piece that will do the job instead.  Hence why benjee10 isn't wanting to put it on. 

On 4/4/2021 at 4:07 AM, wisdomsavingthrow said:

Welp, there go all my previous base plans. This'll revolutionize my program.

I've gotta ask, any plans for a Community Tech Tree compatibility patch in the future?

+1 on the 'revolutionize my program' thing. For sure.

CTT configs would be immense (for SOCK would be amazing too if you end up doing them)

Update RE: CTT configs - I've been attempting to jury-rig something up for myself, and pending Benjee approval would be more than happy to give it over to be added as an official patch. I've also got a tentative patch to use with Snacks, giving the habs their proper soil recycling capacity and the greenhouse a food-growing/ore-converting capacity.

Edited by wisdomsavingthrow

14 hours ago, falken said:

I was just saying to myself the other day I'd like a more 'For All Mankind' approach. Thanks for this.

Not designed any bases yet but I did make a lander. (Reusable single stage)

S6iL3gq.png

Wait, there's a lander cabin?!?!?

Question, would it be possible to make a part that permanently locks a vessel in one place in a planet? Sort of like a grabbing unit, but placed sideways to the terrain and shaped like a mining drill.

It would reduce kraken attacks that make minmus level gravity base building a bit tedious, and also make asteroid base building possible

6 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Question, would it be possible to make a part that permanently locks a vessel in one place in a planet? Sort of like a grabbing unit, but placed sideways to the terrain and shaped like a mining drill.

It would reduce kraken attacks that make minmus level gravity base building a bit tedious, and also make asteroid base building possible

Idk about planets (maybe with a custom plugin?) but asteroid base building is totally possible right now, just use a standard claw (or more than one claw) and build your base like an orbital station.

1 hour ago, Emilius73 said:

A mockup of Mun Base Camp during ground testing.

screenshot413.png

I got to play with a pre-release MMSEV, but I'm still mind blown by the final product. Congrats on the release @benjee10!

Same i got pre release and final does look sweet. One question: why your picture looks cool? Like cool shader?

39 minutes ago, Rocketry101 said:

Same i got pre release and final does look sweet. One question: why your picture looks cool? Like cool shader?

That`s TUFX. And as far as I can see with Zorg`s config/profiles. Look here at point 3: