Jump to content

[1.11+] [BG] Planetside Exploration Technologies | Surface bases, NASA MMSEV, wind turbines & more! | (Initial Release!) | v1.0.1


benjee10
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Understandable.

Go to the GitHub page via the link on the OP.    There you'll see a link to a .zip file (Planetside_v1.0.1.zip).   Click on it and your browser should take you to the Releases page of the GitHub Planetside repository.  You should see three links under "Assets".   Click on and download the Planetside_v1.0.1.zip file to a directory.   I created one specifically for all my manually downloaded KSP mods.  Don't download the source code.  It's meaningless to you.

If you've done this before or installed Planetside some other way, before you complete the rest of this process, make sure any existing Planetside folder in your KSP game's GameData folder is removed.  Sometimes files can linger after this sort of install and it's best to start clean.

Once the download is complete, open the zip file.  You don't mention which operating system you use, but for most, it's a simple matter of double-clicking on it.  Inside the zip you'll find two items, a GameData folder and a README file.  Read the README file.  It'll tell you to copy the zip file's GameData folder into your KSP folder.  Since GameData already exists under the KSP folder, the operation should simply add the Planetside folder into your KSP GameData folder.

Et voila...you should be ready to go.

thanks for the information,but i think you misunderstood me,i know how to install mods in general,i also wasnt trying to install the normal planetside version,i was trying to install the USI-LS version,its github page seems to sort of be the same as that of the main mod,so i just wasnt able to find the correct download button to get the USI-LS version,i did later manage to find it by just going through all the different pages and clicking every button that looked vaguely like a download button until i got the right one,i just dont know how to delete a post on the forum(im guessing its not possible at all?),otherwise i would have removed it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dragonking said:

i think you misunderstood me

I guess I did :0.0::blush:

Glad you eventually found it and, in general for any GitHub repository, go to the "<Code>" page (found at the extreme left of the menu bar underneath the repository name), read down the right-hand column on that page, and look for the "Releases" section.  Click on the "Releases" link and it will take you to the most recent one.  You can find all of the older ones there, too, by clicking on the "+ [x] releases" link just below, where [x] is a number.

Edited by Brigadier
Syntax & spelling errors
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 10:42 PM, theJesuit said:

I'm adding specific support to Kerbalism Simplex for this :) however, I have a couple of quick questions/ observations to gauge some feedback.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, Starslinger999 said:

Ah I guess thats why it was said they were configs but ye it should be compatible with that lol. Still waiting for kerbalism configs from @wallum61

On 6/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, Starslinger999 said:

Tried asking and no response oof

On 6/29/2021 at 3:39 AM, wallum61 said:

I got some in progress - hit me up again in a few days.

Hey @theJesuit, @Starslinger999, @wallum61,

Did someone of you have Kerbalism configs for this beautiful great mod?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kerbalism Simplex does.  It is a hatchit job, but the turbines are basically air harvesters that generate power from a resource that is added.  Doesn't use the poper mechanism.  Happy for you to steal it for a kerbalism vanilla 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Kerbalism Simplex does.  It is a hatchit job, but the turbines are basically air harvesters that generate power from a resource that is added.  Doesn't use the poper mechanism.  Happy for you to steal it for a kerbalism vanilla 

Hey @theJesuit,

Can I just copy the configs from this for the "normal" Kerbalism or are they somewhere else or do I have to edit something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, N3N said:

Hey @theJesuit, @Starslinger999, @wallum61,

Did someone of you have Kerbalism configs for this beautiful great mod?

I have a patch collection that I am going to update on GitHub shortly. Basically adds life support resources, habitat pressurisation, lab configurations and additional features I feel are a good fit. Will try to update tomorrow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wallum61 said:

I have a patch collection that I am going to update on GitHub shortly. Basically adds life support resources, habitat pressurisation, lab configurations and additional features I feel are a good fit. Will try to update tomorrow!

Hey @wallum61,

Thank you very much!

 

Do I have to change than something, if I play with "normal" Kerbalism (+JNSQ +RR)?

(I mean something else as the values in "WallumConfig.cfg")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a question. Can I somewhere look up, what the maximum wind percentage to anticipate for a certain stock planet is?  Somehow I am not sure how to choose a good wind turbine e.g. for Eve or Duna?  Yes, Eve has a thick atmosphere and Duna a light one... but how can I engineer my craft beforehand matching the expected environment?

 

And a second question: does the new androgyneous docking port dock to the stock docking port/shielded port? or does it just match an equal partner?

 

 

 

P.S.: I love these new parts from this mod. Great work!

@benjee10

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, N3N said:

Do I have to change than something, if I play with "normal" Kerbalism (+JNSQ +RR)?

(I mean something else as the values in "WallumConfig.cfg")

Okay it should be nicely updated now. Please delete the old version and replace with the Clusterfunk version :) 

To get around RationalResources, I have just blocked all patches that I fear would conflict with it, eg, hydrates and such. I may patch this further in the future, if I can get RR to work nicely with my RSS setup! :') 

If you do have any suggestions, then please submit issues on GitHub in further to avoid spamming this topic with too much irrelevant posts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, wallum61 said:

Okay it should be nicely updated now. Please delete the old version and replace with the Clusterfunk version :) 

To get around RationalResources, I have just blocked all patches that I fear would conflict with it, eg, hydrates and such. I may patch this further in the future, if I can get RR to work nicely with my RSS setup! :') 

If you do have any suggestions, then please submit issues on GitHub in further to avoid spamming this topic with too much irrelevant posts.

Hey wallum61,

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, Rakete said:

Just a question. Can I somewhere look up, what the maximum wind percentage to anticipate for a certain stock planet is?  Somehow I am not sure how to choose a good wind turbine e.g. for Eve or Duna?  Yes, Eve has a thick atmosphere and Duna a light one... but how can I engineer my craft beforehand matching the expected environment?

And a second question: does the new androgyneous docking port dock to the stock docking port/shielded port? or does it just match an equal partner?

P.S.: I love these new parts from this mod. Great work!

@benjee10

As a general rule of thumb, lightweight turbines are best for planets with a lower atmospheric density than kerbin, and heavy duty turbines are best for planets with higher atmospheric density. The standard turbines will work in either, but less efficiently. All turbines are destroyed beyond a certain atmospheric density, so expect them to break if you go too deep into Jool's atmosphere for example. 

The androgynous port is a new type of port, so will only dock with itself. The small low-profile 0.625m port will dock with the stock Clamp-O-Tron Jr. however. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

As a general rule of thumb, lightweight turbines are best for planets with a lower atmospheric density than kerbin, and heavy duty turbines are best for planets with higher atmospheric density. The standard turbines will work in either, but less efficiently. All turbines are destroyed beyond a certain atmospheric density, so expect them to break if you go too deep into Jool's atmosphere for example. 

The androgynous port is a new type of port, so will only dock with itself. The small low-profile 0.625m port will dock with the stock Clamp-O-Tron Jr. however. 

Thank you so much for this input. This will help.

So I would use the lightweight ones for Duna and Laythe and the heavier ones e.g. for Eve (if I manage to place a base and an ascender there :)). Jool wouldn't be one of my targets, since building bases on a gas giant might be a bit tricky without solid ground :D:wink:

How is the "maximum Wind %" rating to be interpreted? Does it tell how stormproof they are? Can I approximate the to be anticipated maximum wind of a destination planet? E.g. some are rated for 1000% wind. 

Also the min. wind. Can I somehow aproximate what is to be expected e.g. on... Duna? For realisms sake I tend to not cheat a vehicle to the target and test it beforehand. I rather plan a mission in detail with my pocket calculator in the hand, like NASA did in the old days.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Thank you so much for this input. This will help.

So I would use the lightweight ones for Duna and Laythe and the heavier ones e.g. for Eve (if I manage to place a base and an ascender there :)). Jool wouldn't be one of my targets, since building bases on a gas giant might be a bit tricky without solid ground :D:wink:

How is the "maximum Wind %" rating to be interpreted? Does it tell how stormproof they are? Can I approximate the to be anticipated maximum wind of a destination planet? E.g. some are rated for 1000% wind. 

Also the min. wind. Can I somehow aproximate what is to be expected e.g. on... Duna? For realisms sake I tend to not cheat a vehicle to the target and test it beforehand. I rather plan a mission in detail with my pocket calculator in the hand, like NASA did in the old days.

 

Yes exactly! 

So basically for simplicity and to keep the plugin compatible with any planet pack (without requiring special configs), the wind speed is based on atmospheric density. 100% wind speed is the base wind speed at seal level on Kerbin (i.e. at 1 atm). The wind speed is then multiplied by atmospheric density, so for example on a planet with 0.1 atm you would get 10% wind speed, or at 10 atm you would be at 1000% wind speed. Then, depending on your difficulty settings, wind speed gets randomly multiplied by anywhere between 0-200% at regular intervals to simulate changing weather conditions, and then each part's efficiency is multiplied by the relative angle to the wind direction. So you can reasonably estimate what wind speeds you could encounter by looking at the sea level pressure of a planet and then allowing for up to double that.

Worth noting that the plugin does account for altitude (i.e. the actual pressure at your craft's location), so conditions at high altitudes on Eve are significantly different to at sea level. I believe we designed the tolerances on the parts such that you can get away with using standard turbines on Eve's highest peaks.

Having said that I've just noticed that the heavy-duty deployable turbine's wind tolerance is much too low - it should be 1000% too. I should probably patch that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, benjee10 said:

Having said that I've just noticed that the heavy-duty deployable turbine's wind tolerance is much too low - it should be 1000% too. I should probably patch that...

Is there a simple thing to change in the config, to fix it ourselves already?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Is there a simple thing to change in the config, to fix it ourselves already?

Yes, just go into GameData/Benjee10_MMSEV/Parts/ and open up base_turbineHighDensity.cfg in NotePad or something similar, and change:

maxWindTolerance = 3.0

to:

maxWindTolerance = 10.0

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Yes, just go into GameData/Benjee10_MMSEV/Parts/ and open up base_turbineHighDensity.cfg in NotePad or something similar, and change:

maxWindTolerance = 3.0

to:

maxWindTolerance = 10.0

 

Done, thanks. So I don't have to wait until the next update. Thank you very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DirtSeth said:

Awesome mod dude, just wondering. Are there plans to update this mod to the current version. I would love to use it.

This mod it's already compatible with the current version of the game, when you see a "+" (1.11+) it means that this version is compatible from that specific release of ksp (in this case 1.11) up to the latest version of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...