No jetpacks for crew on in-flight vessels after upgrading from 1.10.1 to 1.11.2?

Krymson Skorpyon

Hi.

You could mount a rescue mission to each of those ships.

You could go and edit the quicksave file and add the jetpacks. Or.....

You could cheat.

You could build a small ship with all the needed packs in storage, cheat them up to your ships with the f12 menu, then store the packs in the needee ships.

You can then position the delivery ship back to Kerbin for retrieval.

ME

Kerbals & Inventory

With this update each Kerbal will have two inventory slots. Moreover, Parachutes and EVA jetpacks are now inventory items, giving more flexibility on how you equip your Kerbals. If a Kerbal is not carrying the jetpack or the parachute, these won’t appear on their back. Kerbal mass & crewed parts have been adjusted to account for all of these changes.

So, check your chutes before getting in your plane.

Edited by kerbiloid

15 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

I took a break from KSP for a while - the last version I ran was 1.10.1.

When I came back, I had several vessels in flight, and now none of the crew have jetpacks.

Is there anything I can do to fix that?  I can't send my engineers EVA to do maintenance on engines.

What I would do, and have done on occasion...

Basically what @Martian Emigrant suggests.  Create a simple 'cargo' craft with docking port /claw etc and RCS, and whatever parts and crew you need.  Cheat it (using Alt F12) into close proximity with the target.  Dock it then use the inventory menu to transfer the things you need.

You could also take the opportunity to 'salvage' bits off the cargo craft and attach them to the target vessel.

Once you have done with the cargo craft just undock and either delete it in the Tracking Station or cheat it back to LKO to rescue any crew.

In principle it's not really a lot different to quicksave/load when you stuff things up.  And besides, the cause of the issue is down to the devs changing things between versions, so there is no way you could have addressed it before hand.

@Martian Emigrant and @pandaman, thanks.  I was afraid it might be a matter of "when the developers upgraded the program to add those inventory slots they did not put the jetpacks and parachutes in the inventories of Kerbals who were already in flight."  As a software developer I think that's a horrible oversight, but est quod est, I suppose.  I hate the notion of cheating to fix it, but given that the developers f***ed up that part of the upgrade, I'm going to cut myself the required slack.  Thanks for your information - it was helpful.

@kerbiloid I saw that announcement.  If you'd read my question you would have seen that I was talking about vessels that were in flight - the irrelevance of your "recommendation" is exceeded only by its condescension.

On the bug-tracker entry (link) someone has posted screenshots showing how to restore the parachuted and jetpacks with KML Persistence File Editor.

I cannot confirm the workaround, because my installation of KSP does not have this problem, 
but the edits do match what KSP does to my persistent.sfs, when I first take control of a Kerbal from my version-1.10.2 save

3 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

, did you even read what I wrote?

Had you even had jetpacks in your inventories in the ships in flight before upgrading KSP from 1.10 to 1.11.2 where they should be in inventories?

@Kerbaloid In KSP 1.10.1 and earlier, you didn't have the option to put jetpacks and parachutes in the Kerbals' inventories separately, because inventory slots for jetpacks and parachutes did not exist until 1.11 (the notes that you yourself quoted in your first post said as much). 

In KSP 1.10.1 and earlier, jetpacks and parachutes were part of the Kerbals' "standard equipment" by default.   

In KSP 1.10.1 and earlier, when my Kerbals went EVA, they had jetpacks and parachutes on them.

@OHara posted a link to an item on the KPS bug-tracker site that describes this very behavior.

Edited by Krymson Skorpyon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.