Replacement for Heat shields

Hi, I am trying to make a starship inspired rocket. But during my testing  I notice that it burns up during reentry of Kerbin atmosphere. I know that i can put heat shields to remove the problem but I was wondering if there was another way to fix the problem, more aesthetically pleasing.

32 minutes ago, Craftyo said:

Hi, I am trying to make a starship inspired rocket. But during my testing  I notice that it burns up during reentry of Kerbin atmosphere. I know that i can put heat shields to remove the problem but I was wondering if there was another way to fix the problem, more aesthetically pleasing.

You could try a shallower descent profile, use static radiators, or make an outer skin with fairings

This will seem counter-intuitive, but try using a steeper entry profile.  Sometimes you can get the vessel slowed down quick enough that it doesn’t have time to heat up to the point of explosions.   

Shallow entry profiles leave you in the upper atmosphere for long periods.  You generate a lot of heat, but not much drag.  So the ship ends up overheating, and doesn’t slow down.   

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Point retrograde and use engines to slow down as well. Engines can take a lot of heat (for obvious reasons).

Using engines to slow me down does not give me enough fuel for a suicide burn. And pointing the engines down  is what i am doing but it leads to same result. It was a great idea but my rocket is not advanced enough to survive . 

16 hours ago, Craftyo said:

if you return normally from low kerbin orbit, you should not burn any regular part. especially if you go engine-first.

what parts are you using in your rocket? i believe the most likely explanation is that some parts of your rocket are heat sensitive.

Another thought- try adding air brakes.  They won’t affect the overall look of the vessel greatly.   When used with a steep entry they help get the vessel slowed quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.