Bouncy Landing Gear

For some reason, landing gear, specifically the LY-10 just wants to bounce around and destroy my craft, takeoff and landing, to the point the plane isn't even usable. I have no idea why and I've done all the 'proper' steps to make stable gear:

Symmetric wide-spaced triangle arrangement

All on root part and rigid

Steering disabled for rear gear

No matter what I do, upon landing, it just steers violently into a turn and roll. This also occurs with the larger gear as well, they just induce bounce and Im dead.

37 minutes ago, Raideur Ng said:

I've done all the 'proper' steps

Including tweaking the Spring and Dampener settings, yes??

I set Spring:1 and Damping:1.5 by default on all craft as a starting point and then tune as required from there.

There can be aerodynamic causes for 'bucking' but the above addresses the common causes.

37 minutes ago, Raideur Ng said:

upon landing, it just steers violently into a turn and roll

Tho this does sound like one of the aerodynamic causes...

Another ritual of mine is to set Snap in the Hangar and then Absolute Rotate the landing gear to ensure it is true in all 3 axes.

After that, I'd take a look at which point makes contact first.  (E.g. if you're landing on the nose gear first, problemo.)

Slow, full flare landings are always safer.

Edited by Hotel26

15 minutes ago, Raideur Ng said:

For some reason, landing gear, specifically the LY-10 just wants to bounce around and destroy my craft, takeoff and landing, to the point the plane isn't even usable. I have no idea why and I've done all the 'proper' steps to make stable gear:

Symmetric wide-spaced triangle arrangement

All on root part and rigid

Steering disabled for rear gear

No matter what I do, upon landing, it just steers violently into a turn and roll. This also occurs with the larger gear as well, they just induce bounce and Im dead.

Try fiddling with the landing gears' spring and damper settings, you should get to a point where it's not bouncy.

3 hours ago, Raideur Ng said:

No matter what I do, upon landing, it just steers violently into a turn and roll.

That means that your front landing gear is generating too much drag when it touches the ground. As a general rule, "too much drag in the front, and not enough at the back, means your craft will be directionally unstable."

Sometimes this can mean that your landing gear is tilted (not vertical). Sometimes it means that you left the "friction" setting on "automatic", and it's set too high. Or you put it on "manual" and set it too high yourself.

So try switching the front landing gear's friction to "manual", and set it to zero. See if that helps.

Appears to have been the wheel friction causing the instability. I'm still unsure how the auto setting works, but it was definitely was not playing nice.

I appreciate the help from everyone. That was the last thing keeping my light SSTO from being functional. She thanks you.

4lqVLg6.png

• 1 year later...

Be Aware future engineers looking for a solution:
-As for me it was the landing gear and the wings placed with Symmetry on the tail, the YAW tail wing to be precise, be careful, the game doesn't show you, but if you have symmetry ON, while placing center pieces, sometimes depending on the piece you do it, it places 2 in 1 spot, i had 2 tail wings for yaw because of this, and it caused the problem for controlling the craft on landing/taking off alongside the springs on the wheels of course

Edited by GonTar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.