Unacceptable that game support email requires me to open Microsoft email

EdwardB3020

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What are you talking about?

I’m trying to contact support when it goes onto a separate application without either showing me the email so I can copy it or submitting it via there site. I don’t want to have to sign up for another mail service. 

8 minutes ago, EdwardB3020 said:

I’m trying to contact support when it goes onto a separate application without either showing me the email so I can copy it or submitting it via there site. I don’t want to have to sign up for another mail service. 

Support on the KSP website is just a "sendto" URL which will open in whatever application you have set up to be your default mail application, to send an email to [email protected]. You probably clicked "yes" without properly reading the dialog that prompted you to ask if this was the app you wanted it to be the default for mail.

18 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Support on the KSP website is just a "sendto" URL which will open in whatever application you have set up to be your default mail application, to send an email to [email protected]. You probably clicked "yes" without properly reading the dialog that prompted you to ask if this was the app you wanted it to be the default for mail.

I've worked in customer support and this sort of scenario is 100% the most irritating to deal with lol

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Thanks for the help. 

43 minutes ago, MR L A said:

I've worked in customer support and this sort of scenario is 100% the most irritating to deal with lol

Couldn’t they just link the email along side so you can copy the link?

5 hours ago, EdwardB3020 said:

Thanks for the help. 

highlight the email link, right-click and "copy" that's all there is to it, and this is how pretty much all websites link emails.  AFAIK it might even be something your browser does automatically when it detects a link that is an email address.  What are you expecting an email link to do?  Go to your personal gmail account?

The KSP site has a direct mailto: link on their website? Imagine all the spam V I Agra emails they have to sift through to get to the genuine ones...

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

highlight the email link, right-click and "copy" that's all there is to it, and this is how pretty much all websites link emails.  AFAIK it might even be something your browser does automatically when it detects a link that is an email address.  What are you expecting an email link to do?  Go to your personal gmail account?

This is usually the problem, it's browser based, not the website.   If your browser is set to handle mailto: links through a specific application, outlook in this case, then it will force that application to open.    Your browser should have an option to change the default behavior of mailto: links. 

EDIT:  And moved to the Kerbal Network, as this isn't about KSP specifically. 

Edited by Gargamel

14 hours ago, EdwardB3020 said:

Thanks for the help. 

The opposite of Dunning-Kruger is "the curse of knowledge" - the website developers probably assume that you know that when you float over a link with your mouse it shows the destination of the link (mailto:[email protected]) but:

• not everyone knows this
  • it doesn't work like that on a tablet or phone (although admittedly chances are you do have an email app set up on those, and not necessarily on a pc/mac because it can run inside the browser)

I've ran into this so many times that I just set up an email client on my desktop machine as not to be bothered by this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.