Peridoot's smol plane challange!

My attempt at the Challange: the ''Eclipse''

3ftxq0N.png

Pre-takeoff

Bst55Rw.png

takeoff, using the 2 seperatrons for a safe takeoff, also uses the (currently spooling up) juno clipped into the fuel tank

vb2q28S.png

deployment of the paraglider, the eclipse's main source of lift, a small fin is clipped into the craft so that it still qualifies

pQ8PLve.png

flight, range is just barely to the mountain island

VC3tr6T.png

landing is made with a parachute assisting the paraglider

craft specs:

Length: 1.3 meters (without paraglider)

height:  1,0 meter (without paraglider or kerbal)

width: 0,9 meters (without paraglider)

max flighttime/engine burntime: roughly 113 seconds (juno and seperatrons combined)

price: 2,278 funds

weight: 0.635 tons

part count: 11:

1 Juno jet engine

1 parachute

1 cube structural part

1 EVA seat

1 oscar-b fuel tank

1 basic fin

1 small reaction wheel

1 small battery (radial)

2 seperatrons

1 kerbal

@peridootI made one very compact

7 seperatrons, 2 winglets, 1 eva seat, 1 battery, 3 small retractable wheels, 1 reaction wheel, 1 oscar B tank, 4 Spider engine, 1 probe core and 2 solar panels.

it would be great if some of u can check out my YouTube channel!

Well it's not really that smol but is extreamely compact.

*edit* it's very easy to land but it's just not recorded. U just need the angle of attack at about 20 degrees and that would be good and there's also a backup parachute.

Edited by Max von Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my creation. It isn't very small or light, but the best I could do. Take-off is ..... questionable. It starts off backward at a rate of 10m/s for some reason, clear the runway. Then you throttle up and use the runway as a sort of ramp. It is very sprightly and It can go 250 m/s. Landing is very hard (intact) because of it's tendency to veer left very dramatically. It is made of 1 hex probe core, small circ. intake, mk0 fuel tank, juno engine, 4 small steerable landing gear, 1 Av-r8 winglet and 2 advanced canards.

https://imgur.com/a/oGQsHDd

my attempt ...

QZKqUSt.jpg

9 parts stock (1 for ornament not necessary)
takes off and lands on tail (very difficult landing)
In moded game it works, in stock it fails, I don't know what mod is the cause :huh:

9 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

It starts off backward at a rate of 10m/s for some reason

In my experience, that will be caused by a slight angle on the wheels while sitting on the ground, effectively generating a "k-drive" force that is propelling your craft backwards. The solution, if that is the case, is to do a quick "rotation check" on your wheels (i.e. moving them slightly and back again) while making sure you are on absolute (not relative) alignment to ensure they point completely vertically.

11 hours ago, dnbattley said:

In my experience, that will be caused by a slight angle on the wheels while sitting on the ground, effectively generating a "k-drive" force that is propelling your craft backwards. The solution, if that is the case, is to do a quick "rotation check" on your wheels (i.e. moving them slightly and back again) while making sure you are on absolute (not relative) alignment to ensure they point completely vertically.

Yeah, but in this case I will leave it, as it actually helps my aircraft to get off the ground. Unorthodox, but great for my (very) unstable aircraft:)

Thanks for the tip though!

On 5/11/2021 at 2:52 AM, Magnum said:

It flies and lands on the first try, to the north island ... barely

can I already use the medal?

Sin-t-tulo.jpg

looks good! meets all requirements you completed the chalange! have a badge!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.