Steam KSP (x1.11.2) keep crashing on start

Hello. 

When I launch KSP ( doesn't matter how ) i see this window  https://imgur.com/a/J1q0YQa 

I don't have any mod, i uninstalled the game ( from steam and i delete the entire directory and all sub folders) and I have reinstalled it but without results.

I've disabled Steam Cloud Saving and I've verified the game files ( at least 15 times :))

Player.log , error.log and crash.dmp  :  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TtGw_o5m0aSnl5FjrTLnFhc_ahOg0E93?usp=sharing 

I've checked  my drivers and they are updated.

I've the steam version for windows 10 x64

My specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz , RAM 8GB , Intel UHD Graphics

I apologize for any grammatical errors , i'm not a native English-speaker.

Edited by Ares27

No answer from me, but I'll point out that

KSP Steam Controller was trying to initialize an overlay renderer when the Intel Graphics Driver made an access violation

in hopes of getting attention of someone who uses the Steam Controller and who might recognize the problem.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, Ares27 said:

My specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz , RAM 8GB , Intel UHD Graphics

I apologize for any grammatical errors , i'm not a native English-speaker.

Its probably a far bet but i think it has something to do with how windows handle the whole integrated graphic card thingie.

You can explore this or google a bit more about how to make it clear/select which card you want Kerbal to use, i am not really well versed in that: 

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012015659-Switching-between-discrete-and-integrated-graphics-Windows-

14 minutes ago, Ares27 said:

The problem is that I have only 1 GPU. 

KSP is a CPU based game, the stock game won't utilize any extra GPU's, and 'barely' the one at that. 

15 minutes ago, Ares27 said:

I've tried new drivers and it worked for a couple times but now isn't working again. 

Something changed then.   You need to figure out what changed between it working and not.   Perhaps something decided to reinstall the old drivers again.  

59 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Something changed then.   You need to figure out what changed between it working and not.   Perhaps something decided to reinstall the old drivers again.  

I checked, the drivers are the new ones, it's actually quite strange. 

5 minutes ago, Ares27 said:

I checked, the drivers are the new ones, it's actually quite strange. 

That it is.

Take a look at your log files, then and now.   See if the errors are the same.   If so, it's not your drivers. 

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Take a look at your log files, then and now.   See if the errors are the same.   If so, it's not your drivers. 

The errors are the same. 

My best guess would have been the graphics driver as well but just to rule it out, let's pick up the hint @OHara gave us: The game crashes right after initializing the hooks for the KSPSteamController.dll, so maybe this causes an issue. The easiest way to skip this initialization, is to start the game directly via the "KSP_x64.exe" and not through the steam client. This will cause the steam API to be missing during game launch which then fails the KSPSteamController.dll to load. So just navigate to your game directory (for example by right clicking the game in your steam library, then go to "manage" and "browse local files". This might be called slightly differently in your native language but I'm sure you'll find it :)

9 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The easiest way to skip this initialization, is to start the game directly via the "KSP_x64.exe" and not through the steam client.

I've tried also from the KSP_x64.exe but the game still crashes. 

well, it was worth a try :/

I did some digging and found some similar issues of other games made in unity and this could be related to an unity issue running DX11 on onboard graphics.

Luckily, KSP also supports OpenGL and probably still DX9, so we can try enforcing theses mode by using a startup parameter. To do this, right click the game in your steam library, go to properties and enter "-force-opengl" or "-force-d3d9" into the "Launch Options" field, like this:

ZgtquIE.png

Just close the window afterwards and try to launch the game again.

When I think about it, you can also try to disable the steam overlay since it is also listed in the stack trace of your crashed thread:

Stack Trace of Crashed Thread 10820:
[snip...]
0x00007FFC4E3BD1F3 (gameoverlayrenderer64) OverlayHookD3D3
[snip...]

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

16 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Luckily, KSP also supports OpenGL and probably still DX9, so we can try enforcing theses mode by using a startup parameter. To do this, right click the game in your steam library, go to properties and enter "-force-opengl" or "-force-d3d9" into the "Launch Options" field

Now, it seems to work. Time to reinstall some mods. Thank you for your help and your patience :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.