[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x] MoarKerbals - Populate your colony in space! - Development and beta

Originally written by @strideknight, original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/94517-*Taken up by @zer0Kerbal, he disappeared last summer from everywhere, so I'm picking this up.  His thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/191525-prerelease-173-moarkerbals-populate-your-colony-in-space-1110-2020-02-09/

Beta

Download on SpaceDock, GithubAvailable on CKAN.

MoarKerbals (MK)

Mod Version KSP 1.7.3 CKAN listed License CC 4.0 BY-NC-SA

Populate your colony in space!

adopted for curation by linuxgurugamer - Originally created by strideknight

MoarKerbals

Kerbthulhu Kinetics Program's

MoarKerbals

Populate your colony in space!

This mod installs a Klone Bay that you can use to replicate new kerbals wherever you feel like. It takes a fair amount of electricity, and when combined with USI's MKS mod or TAC Life Support, it will require biomatter as well.

There is a small chance for a freakish accident to occur, which can be disabled in the part's .cfg file, or you can just quicksave before kloning ;)

This is a fairly simple mod that adds the ability to use resources to create a new kerbal. Requires resources and the presence of a living kerbal. There's a small chance that an accident can happen - this is experimental technology after all. :o

You can disable accidents or change the requirements in the part's .cfg file if you want, or just save before operating.

MoarKerbals adds two parts:

• orbital station
  • ground station (Klone Bay)

It requires a large amount of electricity to operate, and @strideknight has always played with Roverdude's MKS and TAC's Life Support, so it automatically integrates with them to require Biomass or other materials. Also, [strideknight] included configs for the Community Tech Tree. Both require ModuleManager to integrate.

MoarKerbals was inspired by [strideknight]'s desire to have a small colony of Kerbals living in zeppelins around Jool who populate the planet, evolve their own society, and then to go to war with the "grounders" back on Kerbin.

This is [strideknight]'s first mod and it runs fine installs, so let me know if you find any bugs. All constructive feedback/suggestions are also welcome. Enjoy!

Known issue

Because [strideknight] used the stock lander can for internals, which is only sized internally for two, if you clone a third kerbal into the bay it won't show up in the kerbal profiles at the bottom right. They will show up properly once you transfer them to another module though.

Features

• Added functionality for the Mobile Processing Lab in the late game
  • Simple, configurable and adds levels of depth to the gameplay without a learning curve

Availability

Dependencies

Recommends

Suggests

Supports

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Beta release, 1.1.2.2

• Fixed defaultAnimationGroup in MK-KloneBay-MKS
  • Fixed path to model for MK-kloneSchool-orbital (case sensitivity issue)
  • Removed unused code

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/MoarKerbals/releases

@Hohmannson

Your comment:

My humble suggestions, as previously said to Zer0Kerbal, is a part config switch to allow cloning without crew on vessel for some Von Neumann things.

Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

If it is possible, without a lot of effort - could we please have an option so that kerbals can only be kloned whilst landed?

Understand if this is only a 'keeping it going' adoption.

Thankyou again for picking this up

2 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

If it is possible, without a lot of effort - could we please have an option so that kerbals can only be kloned whilst landed?

Understand if this is only a 'keeping it going' adoption.

Thankyou again for picking this up

What about the space module version:  Klone Bay Orbital Module    ???

I would assume that the orbital module would only work in orbit, and the other ones would only work on land, does that make sense?

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What about the space module version:  Klone Bay Orbital Module    ???

I would assume that the orbital module would only work in orbit, and the other ones would only work on land, does that make sense?

:confused: i dont understand why there isnt a facepalm emoji.

of course.  Sorry for not seeing this!

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

On a different note  I'm looking for a good part model for the Kuddle Korner (normal reproduction)

Okay... that is a facepalm.

56 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I'm pretty sure @theJesuit tried to make an addon that does this lol

I tried to mess around with Contract Configurator but my attention span and coding ability was sorely lacking.

Thanks for the update.  I'll have a look now.

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looking for input regarding resources needed to klone.  Currently it is set to 8000 ec, I'm thinking of adding both an O2 (ie: oxidizer) and Ore requirement

Comments?

That sounds more reasonable than just EC, especially as with 1.11.x kerbals have mass so there is a need to conserve mass now.

I'd keep the 8000 EC though.  Frankenstein showed us that you need a jolt of EC to bring krackens  kerbals to life.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Thanks for the update.  I'll have a look now.

That sounds more reasonable than just EC, especially as with 1.11.x kerbals have mass so there is a need to conserve mass now.

I'd keep the 8000 EC though.  Frankenstein showed us that you need a jolt of EC to bring krackens  kerbals to life.

Ok, so what I'm thinking of is:

recipeIngredients = ElectricCharge, Oxidizer, Ore
        recipeAmounts = 8000, 100, 100

comments?

If I can get a good part for the KuddleKorner, that wouldn't need resources (at the present time)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so what I'm thinking of is:

recipeIngredients = ElectricCharge, Oxidizer, Ore
        recipeAmounts = 8000, 100, 100

comments?

If I can get a good part for the KuddleKorner, that wouldn't need resources (at the present time)

Didn't get a chance to look today... on tomorrow's agenda.  Sounds good for a stock feel!

KuddleKorner... still would have the issue with mass conservation.  Also, is it time that produces a kerbonaut?

KuddleKorner... still would have the issue with mass conservation.  Also, is it time that produces a kerbonaut?

Will need 2 kerbals, a male and female.

and it's called a Kuddle Shack (had the name wrong).

Regarding resources, won't need EC, but will need Ore and Oxidizer, i think.  Also, right now the code doesn't have a time limitation, I'll have to see about adding that

Had a quick look now - got confused with the cool docking port thing to start.

With kerbalism installed, there seems to an issue with the Kloner seeing the EC.  had plenty (ie 16000), and the debug said it needed EC, and told me I needed EC saying 8000/8000.  

Removed kerbalism, and Moar Kerbals worked as advertised.

First test resulted in an accident .  Hoorah for the The Fly reference.  lol.

Second test got me a kerbal.  It was a beautiful thing.

So... next step will be to test to see if kerbalism mucks if no EC is needed.

Had a quick look now - got confused with the cool docking port thing to start.

With kerbalism installed, there seems to an issue with the Kloner seeing the EC.  had plenty (ie 16000), and the debug said it needed EC, and told me I needed EC saying 8000/8000.  

Removed kerbalism, and Moar Kerbals worked as advertised.

First test resulted in an accident .  Hoorah for the The Fly reference.  lol.

Second test got me a kerbal.  It was a beautiful thing.

So... next step will be to test to see if kerbalism mucks if no EC is needed.

Kerbalism does their own support, it much with too many things for me to even consider supporting.

‘Best to wait until I release and the Kerbalism folk can address the issues

57 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Kerbalism does their own support, it much with too many things for me to even consider supporting.

‘Best to wait until I release and the Kerbalism folk can address the issues

I agree, and I wouldn't ask you to support  kerbalism - you have been clear about that in the past, sorry I didn't make it clear when removing and everything working as advertised.  Also, in a further test, I changed the resources needed to some SimplexOres - NaturalOre, RareOre and Consumables (which is not kerbalism simplex, that had been removed).  Again, all worked totally fine. But then adding kerbalism back into the mix game loading got stuck attempting to the MKS-Loading bay - that wasn't the same issue from before in 1.11.2.   I'll pass on the issue to them.  But I also want to see if there is an issue with the Dynamic Battery Storage from Nertea's Near Future suite given EC and background things.

Back to actual feedback!

Kloning kerbals is working a treat - Dynamic Battery Storage is not having an effect, so all is well.

However, when producing a kerbal, their inventory is getting filled with a free jetpack and parachute, even if the kerbal being cloned doesn't have one.

Would it be possible please to have the 'Initiate Klone' button implemented as an MM patch name?  I'd like to patch it for a SimplexColonial mod, where the 'resource' is 'Colonists' that produce 'Interest'.  'Interest' (a non tweakable resource and unable to be obtained in the VAB?) would then be required to Recruit rather than Klone a kerbal.

Peace.

7 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Would it be possible please to have the 'Initiate Klone' button implemented as an MM patch name?  I'd like to patch it for a SimplexColonial mod, where the 'resource' is 'Colonists' that produce 'Interest'.  'Interest' (a non tweakable resource and unable to be obtained in the VAB?) would then be required to Recruit rather than Klone a kerbal.

You can just copy the KloneBay from the current part.  Should be pretty easy to add

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You can just copy the KloneBay from the current part.  Should be pretty easy to add

Replicating the module for klone bay isn't a problem.  I want to change the PAW option from Initiate Kloning to Recruit Kerbal.

29 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Replicating the module for klone bay isn't a problem.  I want to change the PAW option from Initiate Kloning to Recruit Kerbal.

Oh, ok.  I can add that as a configurable option to the module.

will do that for the KuddleShack and KerbalRecruitement modules as well.

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, ok.  I can add that as a configurable option to the module.

will do that for the KuddleShack and KerbalRecruitement modules as well.

Awesome.  Now i think about it Kerbal Recruitment as a module is confusing... that is the school civilian to usable trait right?

I'll need to think of a different term for the colonist mod so that i dont confuse myself.

Thankyou!

35 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Awesome.  Now i think about it Kerbal Recruitment as a module is confusing... that is the school civilian to usable trait right?

I'll need to think of a different term for the colonist mod so that i dont confuse myself.

Thankyou!

Yes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've heard from @zer0Kerbal, he's back.  So I'll be using this thread to do a beta test of my changes, but will be sending the changes back to him for inclusion.

On 4/27/2021 at 7:32 PM, theJesuit said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer,  have you had a chance to look at adding configurable options to the module yet?

Peace.

Yes, will be in my beta when I release

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.