Having trouble finishing a rover in EVA

I am trying to finish a rover (Unfinished The Mun Buggy CL-NWW) on the Mun. I know that it needs 3 RoveMax Model M1 wheels. I got the wheels to the Mun and got it next to the buggy. If I activate Construction Mode I can pick up and manipulate the wheel but I cannot get it to match up with where it needs to go and I cannot get it to attach. I have tried every combination of key strokes to try to turn it into the correct position but no luck. It is like it cannot find an attachment point. One thing is that the rover only has one wheel so it is not level nut I don't know if that is the issue. What am I missing?

I have also noticed that it has two command chairs but no probe core so even if I get the wheels on I don't know if I can drive it to the navigation point. If I canpt drive it then I have to start over but I want to try attaching the wheels before I restart.

That seems a weird contract; needing to fit 3 wheels? Never seen one like that, are you sure it’s not a repair one?

as for the probe issue, if a kerbal is in the command chair then it will drive. The probes are for when you want to go unmanned.

No, it is not a repair. "Finish construction of a rover on the surface of The Mun - Dinkelstein Kerman's Construction Emporium". This buggy (Unfinished The Mun Buggy CJ-NWW) is the only buggy on the Mun that is unfinished. If you look at the buggy it is missing three wheels.  I have renamed every Unfinished/Broken vessel I have fixed by taking out Unfinished/Broken out of the name.

As a side note, I have noticed if I mishandle the wheel it has a tendency to explode. If I try to place it in the wrong spot it can knock over the buggy - and explode.

47 minutes ago, jbdenney said:

As a side note, I have noticed if I mishandle the wheel it has a tendency to explode. If I try to place it in the wrong spot it can knock over the buggy - and explode.

Try mounting a landing leg as sort of lifting jack first, so that you can attach the wheels while they don't clip into the ground. Just like in real life :D

Could the issue be the Level of my Engineer? He is level 2. I was under the impression that there was no Level restriction for EVA construction. But he has to be level 3 to "repair" wheels.

Edited by jbdenney
added sentence

I don't think the level is a problem (at least I seem to recall that my engineer was only level one or two when I first completed one of these).  It may be the ground contact that's the problem.

The way I got around the clearance issue was to basically use a jack; I attached a hinge and hydraulic cylinder to the side of the rover, and very slowly used it to lever the vehicle away from the ground.  That way I could not only attach the wheels (although getting the correct facing was still a bit fiddly), but I also avoided the rover flipping into the sky when the wheel spring physics kicked in.

Another point: it seems that all repair/EVA build contracts are bugged; the contract vessel ID and that of the vessel itself don't match, so you have to edit it in the save file in order to complete the contract.  There's a post here on the forums about how to do that, I'll see if I can find the link (but actually in a meeting right now, so...)

Does it ask you to drive it after it’s built? If not, you could stick the wheels anywhere on it, doesn’t need to be functional/lined up.

Another idea is remove the wheel that is on there and just fit them all again, maybe it’ll line up then?

I cannot get the wheels to stick anywhere on the rover. It does ask me to drive it to a navigation point so I do have to have the wheels have to be on. If I cannot get it tonight I will cheat to complete and I will dump the wheel I have next to the buggy so if I come back to the area I can try again with out having to lug the parts to the Mun,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.