Will there be procedural parts in ksp 2? Should there be?

Should there be procedural parts in ksp 2?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Procedural parts?

• Yes, totally!
    • Maybe.
    • No no no no no no no!
    • What are procedural parts?

There's obvious dos and don'ts, and some I think fall in a grey area. Fairings? Duh. Daedalus engines? No way. Aero surfaces and lengths of X diameter tanks? Well...

Personally I think it's really only parts that interface with high winds that should be given the time of day in terms of procedural building. Do you really need infinitely adjustable radiators and power plants? Just add more or use larger ones. We already get like three or four flavors of Orion engine. There's probably going to be enough part diversity. Wings and fairings, that's probably all that should be procedural.  How many times have YOU wanted to build a big wing and it ended up a game like shingling a roof?

P.S. we need high temp and low temp radiators, and panel mount versions of both

Edited by Wubslin

I don't think an 'everything procedural' is the right approach, but it would be a good option for some things, especially to help declutter the parts lists...

E g.  Fuel tanks and wings - select the profile and adjust the length to what's needed.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Procedural wings would be nice. 
If there were to be procedural tanks, they could have a similar upgrade system to RP1

I don't want simple rockets level of procedural, just some procedural tanks would be nice.

Making everything completely procedural might alienate people in the LEGO camp, but I don't see why all those tank profiles have to all be separate parts. Following my train of thought further, why do I have to wait for the devs to implement whatever tank profile is missing? Ok, why can't I just fill in all these holes in the parts list myself? It's hard to steer away from making tanks procedural because otherwise you end up with holes. I mean, Restock mod has a division for filling in all those irritating holes in the parts list. I'd like to avoid interfering with the LEGO nature of this game but it's very difficult.

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

While procedural parts are nice, they are against the Lego-like nature of the game.  I’d much rather see it either as a mod or a DLC rather than being in the basic game

I'd like to avoid suggesting that Intercept should capitalize on whatever divides the community or is already implemented in mods.

42 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Making everything completely procedural might alienate people in the LEGO camp, but I don't see why all those tank profiles have to all be separate parts. Following my train of thought further, why do I have to wait for the devs to implement whatever tank profile is missing? Ok, why can't I just fill in all these holes in the parts list myself? It's hard to steer away from making tanks procedural because otherwise you end up with holes. I mean, Restock mod has a division for filling in all those irritating holes in the parts list. I'd like to avoid interfering with the LEGO nature of this game but it's very difficult.

aka hire nertea and the restock team to make their own game.

43 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'd like to avoid suggesting that Intercept should capitalize on whatever divides the community or is already implemented in mods.

Right now there aren’t ANY Mods for KSP 2.  Also, it’s been conformed multiple times that mods will not be migratable from Ksp to Ksp 2.  So there wouldn’t be any division at this time.

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Right now there aren’t ANY Mods for KSP 2.

Ok, let's say it's 2022 and KSP 2 is out, it just dropped. Give the community 2 seconds and it will be a mod.

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Also, it’s been conformed multiple times that mods will not be migratable from Ksp to Ksp 2.  So there wouldn’t be any division at this time.

There will be a divide, exhibit 1. the LEGO vs Play-Doh sides of the community.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Ok, let's say it's 2022 and KSP 2 is out, it just dropped. Give the community 2 seconds and it will be a mod.

There will be a divide, exhibit 1. the LEGO vs Play-Doh sides of the community.

Not disagreeing with you at all, I think you are spot on.

One of the issues with the original KSP was a lack of consistent parts.  That led to the need/desire for procedural parts.  Hopefully the new KSP 2 will have a consistent set of parts and sized to reduce the need for procedural parts

Stock KSP has aerodynamic shells, so it's not like we've never had stock procedural parts. But yeah, there are definitely more opportunities there.

Wings and tanks are high on the list for me. And with tanks, I don't even want much. Just give us ability to resize them vertically in the increments of the smallest tank up to the largest, for example. Having, like, 8 different parts for these is not helpful for UI clutter. And even then, if I want to create a tank that's 3/4 of maximum size, I have to stack two tanks on top of each other. That's a needless addition to part count and simulated joints, which starts to matter when these are part of your asparagus cluster.

Procedural wings would definitely be a more advanced feature, but it's another case of having to either deal with very limited selection or building out of a lot of pieces. Keeping part count low is in everyone's interest, so I think it'd be worth the time spent designing a good UI interface for building the wings.

I just think that other than fairings, having procedural parts will make it too difficult for newer players to get involved. It would be easier to leave that to modders, give it a few months and there will probably be all the realism mods on KSP2 lol

What about proceedural (or, really, highly adjustable) landing gear. The adjustable landing gear mod fixes a whole lot of issues with landing gear on planes, having to clip them into stuff weirdly to keep them aligned because they have fixed length and can't be angled outward.

I am not so sure I want procedural as much as adjustable. The main issue I have with procedural is that you get into tweaking hell. “Oh just need to make this tank 2% bigger, this engine 6% smaller”, etc. 
While I can see the benefits for advanced builders it has a couple major downsides. Those being 1) makes life a lot more difficult for newbies who don’t understand what they are doing yet. 2) makes comparing your rocket builds with other players pretty impractical.