An Update for the Nostalgic

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and as such, it would be one of my many dreams to see KSP updated with many of its "ancestral" features revamped to current-day standards. So, without further ado, I present my own concept of an update and/or DLC for KSP.

Legacy Launches

• Inland KSC (also called KSC2 or Baikurbanur) would be updated with the old SPH and runway and made into a usable facility. All buildings would be given a graphics overhaul to keep them as pleasing to the eye and EVA-accessible as the standard KSC buildings, but would still keep the old cartoony designs that we all know and love.
  • If the player desires it, the old VAB and SPH interiors at Inland KSC could be used while building (once again with graphics enhancements).
  • All old part models and textures would be reintroduced as part variants labeled "Legacy" (or, in the case of parts that have gone through more than one design change, Legacy A, Legacy B, etc.), again with updated textures and sizes to match the quality of current examples while still staying true to their origins. Most Legacy part variants would be simple color schemes, but some notable examples of actual part shape changes would be engines, the older swept wing models, C7's original large wings from his mod, the original Mk1 command pod, etc.
  • The old Mk3 fuselage parts would be the "most overhauled" and most practical of the bunch, making a comeback as "Mk2.5" parts. Being made flush with the current Mk2 and Mk3 parts, they would act as the middle ground between the two sizes and would receive their own versions of cargo bays, passenger compartments, and other current-version necessities.
  • Some of the more popular ship designs from years past would make a comeback as lookalike (or just functionally similar) stock ship examples, such as TheWinterOwl's GRUNT-45 heavy-lifting seaplane and its OXCART-4 Munar spaceplane.
Edited by JMBuilder

11 hours ago, JMBuilder said:

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and as such, it would be one of my many dreams to see KSP updated with many of its "ancestral" features revamped to current-day standards. So, without further ado, I present my own concept of an update and/or DLC for KSP.

Legacy Launches

• Inland KSC (KSC2) would be updated with the old SPH and runway and made into a usable facility. All buildings would be given a graphics overhaul to keep them as pleasing to the eye and EVA-accessible as the standard KSC buildings, but would still keep the old cartoony designs that we all know and love.
  • If the player desires it, the old VAB and SPH interiors at Inland KSC could be used while building (once again with graphics enhancements).
  • All old part models and textures would be reintroduced as part variants labeled "Legacy" (or, in the case of parts that have gone through more than one design change, Legacy A, Legacy B, etc.), again with updated textures and sizes to match the quality of current examples while still staying true to their origins. Some notable examples would be the older swept wing models, C7's original large wings from his mod, etc.
  • The old Mk3 fuselage parts would be the "most overhauled" and most practical of the bunch, making a comeback as "Mk2.5" parts. Being made flush with the current Mk2 and Mk3 parts, they would act as the middle ground between the two sizes and would receive their own versions of cargo bays, passenger compartments, and other current-version necessities.
  • Some of the more popular ship designs from years past would make a comeback as lookalike (or just functionally similar) stock ship examples, such as TheWinterOwl's GRUNT-45 heavy-lifting seaplane and its OXCART-4 Munar spaceplane.

I think this would be a good update for KSP this year on June 14. That's when KSP was first released. (I think.) It been 10 years since KSP's release.

5 hours ago, Single stage to ocean said:

Maybe not an update but official mod like asteroid day.

I'm of the mindset of keeping the game stock unless it's guaranteed that the game won't be receiving any more official updates, primarily because updates have a tendency to break mods and I have to also keep updating the mods themselves, which aren't guaranteed to receive continued updates themselves.

This is especially the case with my nine-year-long begging spree for airship parts.

15 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I think something like it as a free dlc would be cool, but a paid dlc would be strange since you would just need to go back some versions and you had the stuff for free (if you own ksp)

Ehhhh, not really the case with the old Mk3 parts becoming Mk2.5 parts. They'd need the listed revamps to look right with other parts, and they'd have their own middle-ground role. Also, with KSC2 getting revamped and becoming a usable facility, it's new content in and of itself.

Not saying it absolutely has to be paid DLC, but the reasoning for it is there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.