small rover wheel

icantthink

If you mean smallest rover wheels I thought they did. Otherwise just make it that if you set the wheels to the lowest spring settings while you are driving,  that some part of the rover sits hard against the ground. High friction means no go, except if you are on a slope that is too steep. Then slow slide.

The Cessna-style airplane nose wheel (LY-05) has no brakes, and I believe if a new player is playing Career mode, there's a length of time where the LY01/05 are the only wheels you have.  I think that's the topic here...?

FYI, the various wheels in KSP are generally referred to as either 'rover wheels' or 'landing gear.'  The rover wheels all have brakes and motors, so they can power a vehicle without jets or rockets.  Landing gear have no motors, and they all have brakes except the basic LY-05 nosewheel.  

Options are: drive around with a bunch of LY-05s, hilariously, and crash into many things.  Option 2: make a jet rover with a pair of LY-01 landing gear in back, and one or two LY-05 in front.  This can steer (front) and brake (rear).  I usually build this when I get the Aviation tech node, and often drive it around like a rover to get science early on.  Option 3: get some more science so you can unlock the Space Exploration research node - this will get you small powered rover wheels.

(Deepest apologies if I missed the mark here, it's tough to tell how much experience a player has)

Edited by fourfa

Hi @fourfa. I know many like pure stock but I like to make replicas of real world jets and be able to taxi them around, so I modded the stock small and medium retractable landing gear to have just enough electric motor to taxi on flat surfaces.

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleWheelBase

wheelColliderTransformName = WheelCollider        
        wheelTransformName = WheelPivot

wheelType = MOTORIZED

// setting this to true will override the radius and center parameters
        FitWheelColliderToMesh = False        
        radius = 0.18
        center = 0,0,0
        mass = 0.040
        groundHeightOffset = 1.15

TooltipTitle = #autoLOC_502079 //#autoLOC_502079 = Retractable Landing Gear
        TooltipPrimaryField = #autoLOC_6004046 //#autoLOC_6004046 = Retractable Motorized
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGenerator
        isAlwaysActive = true
        OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.1
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleWheelMotor
        baseModuleIndex = 0

maxRpm = 21
        driveResponse = 2

torqueCurve
        {
            key = 0 1.0 0 0
            key = 10  0.66 0//20  0.66 0
            key = 30 0.14 0 0//40 0.14 0 0
            key = 34 0 0 0//44 0 0 0
        }

}

Those amendments in the config and saved as a new model. I only ever use them as the front landing gear and leave the rest as unpowered.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, fourfa said:

The Cessna-style airplane nose wheel (LY-05) has no brakes, and I believe if a new player is playing Career mode, there's a length of time where the LY01/05 are the only wheels you have.  I think that's the topic here...?

Given that they have no drive motors either, the lack of brakes is not the biggest problem when trying to make a rover.

11 hours ago, pincushionman said:

Given that they have no drive motors either, the lack of brakes is not the biggest problem when trying to make a rover.

That's easy just have Jeb pretend he is Fred Flinstone. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.