Jump to content

Easy Planet Modding for KSP2 Suggestion (Planet Assembly Building)


Would you want this feature?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you want this feature?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 12/31/2022 at 09:01 PM

Recommended Posts

Since they said KSP2 would  be easily modable. Well, what if in KSP2 you could make mods in the game.  Like what if KSP2 had a feature in it so you could make planets for you planet mod? Im not sure how to code but it could have options for the planets and you could texture them easier. Im not sure if this is possible but is this possible? And would you want this feature?

 

I would be okay if this was  DLC.

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was easy to do this kind of a creator, they would have made the creator first and the devs would have used that to build the planets. I'm guessing making a planet creator is probably a lot more complicated than just making the planets from scratch, and it would just result in a mod marketplace flooded with substandard blobs tossed together by 12 year olds... "Billy's world" doesn't sound like it's worth the 25mb to download, sorry Billy...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Super KSP Maker, Yahoo!

Seriously, as a DLC, I could see solar system creation being a thing.

Me too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TLTay said:

If it was easy to do this kind of a creator, they would have made the creator first and the devs would have used that to build the planets. I'm guessing making a planet creator is probably a lot more complicated than just making the planets from scratch, and it would just result in a mod marketplace flooded with substandard blobs tossed together by 12 year olds... "Billy's world" doesn't sound like it's worth the 25mb to download, sorry Billy...

In agreeance with the above, and I'm sorry to pick on this thread because honestly, its the only one I could grab a quote from, but half this forum is people complaining that the game is delayed/"can I beta test so I can play early?" and the other half is suggestions of stuff to add to the game that objectively will delay the game unless the Devs are already implementing it, in which case, you don't need to suggest it. I don't get how nobody sees the incongruousness of these two points.

What I am getting at is that I imagine everyone on this board would love to talk to the Devs and have their ideas heard, but if we complain the game is delayed and at the same time keep asking them for more things, they are just going to NOT listen to us.

 

Edited by Meecrob
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

In agreeance with the above, and I'm sorry to pick on this thread because honestly, its the only one I could grab a quote from, but half this forum is people complaining that the game is delayed/"can I beta test so I can play early?" and the other half is suggestions of stuff to add to the game that objectively will delay the game unless the Devs are already implementing it, in which case, you don't need to suggest it. I don't get how nobody sees the incongruousness of these two points.

What I am getting at is that I imagine everyone on this board would love to talk to the Devs and have their ideas heard, but if we complain the game is delayed and at the same time keep asking them for more things, they are just going to NOT listen to us.

 

I agree that a lot of the forums is feature begging, I do not think this page is, as I have said I think planet editor would be a cool DLC. But about the beta testing, I started a thread on it and I think it is worth discussing.

Just now, computercat04 said:

It can be even an in-game planet editor.

I think as a DLC this could be cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, fair post, but what made me make this post is that we don't even know the properties of the planets the Devs are creating, so asking for a planet creator without knowing what has been created is kinda pointless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Well, fair post, but what made me make this post is that we don't even know the properties of the planets the Devs are creating, so asking for a planet creator without knowing what has been created is kinda pointless.

This is merely my opinion and in no way meant to offend or defend anyone, so take it for what it's worth.

 

Some of what you are seeing is prevalent in all games I have ever joined the forums on. You will have the 'prima donas' the 'whiners' the 'know it alls' the 'never satisfied' and the 'fanboys'. To me, it actually seems very toned down here compared to other forums. There is very low toxicity here as well as higher than normal moderator involvement which to me is very refreshing.

 

The way I see it is that every member of the forum is an individual that handles things differently. To me, it is like being promised a new car and then being told that you have to wait, then wait again. And this is just how each person expresses their frustration and/or anticipation of finally getting to drive that new car. 

 

It can be frustrating for all involved, so the point in asking for a planet editor is to just put it out there, express and share ideas, and hope that if the devs don't have it planned (trust me on this one, forums tend to be a very small influence on devs) that maybe it can be in a future update, or a modder will take it on. If it's not planned, the devs will not halt everything just to add it without very extenuating circumstances. 

 

For me, I would love a planet editor as DLC, since something like this could be over whelming for people new to learning basic rocket science.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dientus said:

This is merely my opinion and in no way meant to offend or defend anyone, so take it for what it's worth.

 

Some of what you are seeing is prevalent in all games I have ever joined the forums on. You will have the 'prima donas' the 'whiners' the 'know it alls' the 'never satisfied' and the 'fanboys'. To me, it actually seems very toned down here compared to other forums. There is very low toxicity here as well as higher than normal moderator involvement which to me is very refreshing.

 

The way I see it is that every member of the forum is an individual that handles things differently. To me, it is like being promised a new car and then being told that you have to wait, then wait again. And this is just how each person expresses their frustration and/or anticipation of finally getting to drive that new car. 

 

It can be frustrating for all involved, so the point in asking for a planet editor is to just put it out there, express and share ideas, and hope that if the devs don't have it planned (trust me on this one, forums tend to be a very small influence on devs) that maybe it can be in a future update, or a modder will take it on. If it's not planned, the devs will not halt everything just to add it without very extenuating circumstances. 

 

For me, I would love a planet editor as DLC, since something like this could be over whelming for people new to learning basic rocket science.

 

Good take, I also could see this as DLC or a mod.

Link to post
Share on other sites

wel not too easy so you have a menu in game to do it but so you dont need to find files in the game files but maybe have a mod "template wich is an empty planet that you add texture too and modify its orbit

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most I'd want is a whole-universe scale slider - the ability to make the planets 10x bigger, 10x further away, and to give my rockets sqrt(10) as much delta-V.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TLTay said:

If it was easy to do this kind of a creator, they would have made the creator first and the devs would have used that to build the planets. I'm guessing making a planet creator is probably a lot more complicated than just making the planets from scratch, and it would just result in a mod marketplace flooded with substandard blobs tossed together by 12 year olds... "Billy's world" doesn't sound like it's worth the 25mb to download, sorry Billy...

It'd be worth seeing stuff from creative people who don't want to get into spending hours in configs trying to get everything right, reloading the game over and over again to see the changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 4:40 AM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Super KSP Maker, Yahoo!

Seriously, as a DLC, I could see solar system creation being a thing.

A DLC that adds Terrain modification to the game for better colony mechanics would be stellar and would seem a nice fit with Planet creation across a board range of players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Modders will make planet packs for KSP2, and a built-in tool would prevent players using planet packs to wait for Kopernicus to update once KSP2 updates, so built in support for planet packs would be a great idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Planet modding may be more difficult to match the standards of ksp 2 planets and moons (look at pol for instance).

 

Maybe so, but if it is made at all, it will be like the ships and vehicles, on our own PC. This way when I do make a planet that looks like it was created with crayons (trust me, I will) it wouldn't be an issue for others. :grin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Modders will make planet packs for KSP2, and a built-in tool would prevent players using planet packs to wait for Kopernicus to update once KSP2 updates, so built in support for planet packs would be a great idea

They said such tools will be available in the game in the very early interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Master39 said:

They said such tools will be available in the game in the very early interviews.

Really? Which one? Got to go and check I guess. :) Chuckle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me it would be pretty tough to create an acceptably robust in-game tool to build planets from scratch but it wouldn't be hard to have one to modify existing planets in a game. Like adding/removing features such as rings, sea level and atmosphere, change orbital parameters and/or orbiting parent, scale bodies to a degree, duplicating bodies and such.

Like, putting Kerbin in Jool's orbit while making the whole system a binary star system. Something like that would already create a bunch of fun scenarios.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jack Mcslay said:

Seems to me it would be pretty tough to create an acceptably robust in-game tool to build planets from scratch but it wouldn't be hard to have one to modify existing planets in a game. Like adding/removing features such as rings, sea level and atmosphere, change orbital parameters and/or orbiting parent, scale bodies to a degree, duplicating bodies and such.

Like, putting Kerbin in Jool's orbit while making the whole system a binary star system. Something like that would already create a bunch of fun scenarios.

I like this. It isn't too complicated but it gets the players to make their own creations. Or maybe even there could be the PAB (Planet Assembly Building). A part of KSP2 where you can attach features to your planet like, oh, lets add some hills, or craters. And change the color and density of the atmosphere. And tweak the gravity. that would be awesome and neat to see and play around with. Also orbits and add moons! It would really make KSP2 truly endless. But I'm not sure maybe the game developers at @Intercept Games  . What do you think of this @Nate Simpson and @KSPStar???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 2:19 AM, Dr. Kerbal said:

Really? Which one? Got to go and check I guess. :) Chuckle.

If you're asking which interview I don't remember, it was one of the early ones, maybe even one of the topics or videos of the people who got to visit Star Theory.

If you're asking which tool I'm saying Kopernicus, they said their plan for moddability is to have a bunch of universal dependancies like Kopernicus or module manager to be stock functionality.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like maybe a way to do it would be terraforming, you can go to a planet with reasonable conditions, and eventually, terraform it to be more like earth-er kerbin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...