Duna and Ike mission

BaldCross343

I’ve recently done my first Duna mission after doing many Mun missions and a Gilly mission and I’ve gotten quite to grip with doing outer space missions in KSP. The next thing I wanna do is plan a mission where I send a spacecraft to Duna that will make two different landings each one with a different crew: One on Duna and the other on Ike. How should I proceed?

4 hours ago, BaldCross343 said:

I’ve recently done my first Duna mission after doing many Mun missions and a Gilly mission and I’ve gotten quite to grip with doing outer space missions in KSP. The next thing I wanna do is plan a mission where I send a spacecraft to Duna that will make two different landings each one with a different crew: One on Duna and the other on Ike. How should I proceed?

One fun thing to do is to send two vessels that arrive in the Duna system almost empty. You can then send one crew to IKE with a convertotron, fuel up, rendezvous with the main Duna lander and fill it up with enough for descent and ascent. Then send the Ike-miner back, fill up again, and deliver the return-fuel to the Duna lander for its journey home. Its an efficient mission profile that allows you to bring just one drilling rig and keeps your Duna lander nice and lean.

Edited by Pthigrivi

As a variant on the excellent suggestion above, I sometimes do an Apollo-style setup where I have a lander for Duna and one for Ike joined together with a main transport vessel. Once orbiting Duna, they separate and do their own things (I might put a drill etc on to refuel on the surfaces). 

Then they rendezvous back at the main vessel, all transfer to it, transfer any spare fuel and then ditch the 2 return landers and head back in the main vessel as normal.

9 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

One fun thing to do is to send two vessels that arrive in the Duna system almost empty. You can then send one crew to IKE with a convertotron, fuel up, rendezvous with the main Duna lander and fill it up with enough for descent and ascent. Then send the Ike-miner back, fill up again, and deliver the return-fuel to the Duna lander for its journey home. Its an efficient mission profile that allows you to bring just one drilling rig and keeps your Duna lander nice and lean.

That is the best way to do it.  I would recommend testing this on Mun or Minmus first.  As an bonus if you mine on Minmus you could go to Ike with this fuel and you also got unlimited landing letting you explore all the biomes. It require an decent sized craft however more like an mini base. 

On 4/13/2021 at 4:56 AM, FruitGoose said:

As a variant on the excellent suggestion above, I sometimes do an Apollo-style setup where I have a lander for Duna and one for Ike joined together with a main transport vessel. Once orbiting Duna, they separate and do their own things (I might put a drill etc on to refuel on the surfaces). 

Then they rendezvous back at the main vessel, all transfer to it, transfer any spare fuel and then ditch the 2 return landers and head back in the main vessel as normal.

Would it be easy to also bring two rovers for that kind of mission? Cuz I also intend to do some land exploration

3 hours ago, BaldCross343 said:

Would it be easy to also bring two rovers for that kind of mission? Cuz I also intend to do some land exploration

Yeah sure, or parts to construct one once you land.

7 hours ago, BaldCross343 said:

Rovers are fun. It's a neat design challenge packing them into the bottom of a lander. I've also made the lander itself a rover that lands on its belly with chutes and twitch engines. 

9 hours ago, BaldCross343 said:

How could I assemble one on the surface?

With an Engineer, just press “I” and it switches to construction mode (assuming you’re on pc/playing 1.11.x - not sure which button on console). You then just build it similar to inside the editor. 

The individual parts could go inside a cargo bay or inventory slots or even be part of the lander.

5 hours ago, Max von Kerman said:

Ye i know and i cant even send a rover to minmus with no flat tires. I got four wheels on my rover and space for 5 kerbals, and when it arrived, it's got three tires flat and i only got 1 eva repair kit :(

Yes very annoying isn’t it! Sounds like you need some F.I.G. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.