"Punk" Chronology

JMBuilder

A while ago, I had the idea of splicing all of the significant "punk" genres (steampunk, dieselpunk, etc.) in chronological order by tech and societal advancement. It became an interesting and complicated endeavor, especially since many of the genres are the same thing under a different name or a subgenre that focuses on aesthetics and/or culture instead of tech.

Main genres are in bold and relate to tech, subgenres are directly under their main "starting point" genres in italics and can relate to tech, aesthetics, or culture and carry over into later genres.

Starting off:

• Stonepunk
  • Islandpunk
  • Desertpunk
  • Cavepunk
  • Nomadpunk
  • Bronzepunk
  • Ironpunk
  • Candlepunk
  • Silkpunk
  • Afropunk
  • Clockpunk
  • Rococopunk
  • Steampunk
  • Airpunk
  • Oceanpunk
  • Cattlepunk
  • Salvagepunk

Now, from here, things get especially interesting. I envisioned a branching development path after Steampunk. The first path is characterized by existing and near-future tech, like so:

• Dieselpunk
  • Decopunk
  • Atompunk
  • Transistorpunk
  • Formicapunk
  • Steelpunk
  • Cyberpunk
  • Biopunk
  • Nanopunk

The second path is characterized primarily by pseudoscience and surreality, like so:

• Teslapunk
  • Swordpunk
  • Raypunk

It's perfectly possible for the two paths to overlap at certain points, but the idea of dividing chronologies between hyper-industrialism and pseudoscience seemed fascinating to me.

So what do you guys think? What'd I leave out and where do you think it would slot in?

Edited by JMBuilder

7 hours ago, JMBuilder said:

Afropunk

That's more like a regional/cultural genre. Afrofuturism is weird, too, it too often delves into primitivism, which in turn means falling right into Western-centric stereotypes.

Edited by DDE

14 hours ago, DDE said:

That's more like a regional/cultural genre. Afrofuturism is weird, too, it too often delves into primitivism, which in turn means falling right into Western-centric stereotypes.

I think the Black Panther movie can be considered extremely afropunk. The aesthetics were so unique, I just had to include it in the list.

Silkpunk is a similar case of combining cultural aspects with things like steampunk. It's based on a mix of east Asian cultures, mostly Chinese and Mongolian. You get everything from dragon-themed airships to terracotta robots.

It's also pretty strange how everything is categorized. Some is retrofuturism, some is hyperindustrialism, some is surrealism, some is... culture-futurism? Or maybe... hyper-culturalism? Heck, what's a good word for it?

It's difficult to weed out the stuff that I didn't think fit in the chronology, like mythpunk and the like since it's rooted in fantasy instead of some kind of alternate history. A lot of the "punk" genres are also focused mainly on music, not necessarily related to punk rock.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I love the concept of a Punkpunk universe, in which every single -punk genre actually happened and the denizens of the punkpunk universe have all that collective knowledge and history.

That's not a fiction. That happens every time when punks find some money.

Solarpunk

Cottagepunk (also known as anarcho-primitivism?)

Cylinderpunk (just leave out the O'Niel part)

Discpunk (Not to be mistaken for Pratchetpunk)

Rocketpunk (latest incarnation is basically the show For All Mankind, and various illustrations made by Von Braun's office)

Dunkpunk (also known as the video game Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)

Edited by starcaptain

On 4/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, starcaptain said:

Solarpunk

Cottagepunk (also known as anarcho-primitivism?)

Cylinderpunk (just leave out the O'Niel part)

Discpunk (Not to be mistaken for Pratchetpunk)

Rocketpunk (latest incarnation is basically the show For All Mankind, and various illustrations made by Von Braun's office)

Dunkpunk (also known as the video game Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)

I've never heard of Cylinderpunk or Discpunk. What do those involve?

----------

I came up with my own as well: "Slumpunk." Think of Hoovervilles, favelas, and other slums in various time periods being taken to extremes. I think a good example of this (at least aesthetically) would be the movie Elysium where the world was so horribly overpopulated that ramshackle homes and cruddy old wind turbines were slapped onto the sides of decaying skyscrapers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.