ColdJ

Hello all. I have tried searching the forums to see if anyone had already done this, but could not find anything.

I like to see how realistic the physics of KSP are for things that were not it's original purpose. I have "Breaking Ground" and work within KSP 1.9.1.

I had fun proving that "Down Force" works with KSP and that with Rotor based wheels you can drive up to the VAB, drive up to vertical and then use "Down Force" to hold you to the wall as you drive up to the top and and over the edge. To park on the roof.

Now I am exploring underwater and after getting ballast tanks configed right to get within mm/s of neutral buoyancy for my subs, I wanted to be able to have my Kerbals walk around on the bottom without immediately bobbing up to the surface. Obviously with their helmets on.

So I gave them an extra inventory slot and used the deployed science mystery goo config as a basis for a weight belt. I used a scaled down structural part as a mesh and set (after some experimentation) the mass to 90kg. This lets them sink gracefully and walk around as if they were on land. they can jump roughly as high as on land but come down slightly slower or swim if you go in a direction. I have a deloyed science cabinet next to my airlocks and have them equip the weight belt when they exit but are still holding on. When they return they just put it back in the cabinet before entering. Also if you click on the weight belt as if they were going to place it somewhere but don't. They loose the mass and float up. So you can use that to get up things if you need to.

So, Has anyone else done this.?

Hi @FruitGoose. I am afraid I don't currently have the things required to video in game. And as I also don't have an online image account I can't show you my screenshots, as apparently you can't directly upload from your computer here. Which is sad because I love the screenshot where I am precariously parked on the top of the control tower that is attached to the SPH. But I can explain how to do it so here goes.

Spoiler

Now this can be achieved by using jet engines to push down but I prefer ducted fans. My most successful designs use the equivalent of three axles. 6 of the largest rotors, 3 each side. attach the flat round structural adapter to each to give each hub a greater diameter. Then attach the second largest rover wheels (the ones that look like big flat treaded rubber) 8 at a time to each hub so they look sort of like flower petals. When you attach the rotors to the body DO NOT USE THE MIRROR ATTACHMENT SETTING as annoying things will happen. Place them 1 at a time and then manualy line them up. Your wheels made up of 8 rover wheels each need to overlap with each other so take the adapter plate (once it has the wheels on it) on the middle rotors and flip them so that the rover wheels are in side towards the body. Then adjust the rotors so the tyres on each hub front and back overlap the middle hubs. You are creating the equivalent of tank treads and this vehicle is driven just like a tank with a different custom throttle for each side. The overlap is neccessary for going over the 90deg edge of the building. You will need to adjust throttle on each side back and forth to keep the vehicle straight as it climbs the sheer wall. Remember that the hub wheels need to stick out past the front and back of the vehicle so you can climb from horizontal to vertical. I have narrow designs so that I have been able to climb every building and my advanced designs have got me on top of the satellite dishes. But best to start with mk2 bodies as it easier to cover them in ducted fans to push down. I am pretty sure my early designs got away with only having them on top. The narrow ones need them underneath as well, pulling down. Getting them to drive over the underhanging buildings was a lot of experimentation. Remember to always put the brakes on as soon you want to drive like a tank or your rotors will slip all over the place. Climb a wall to a 45deg angle before turning on the ducted fans or you will find it hard to transition. You will need to experiment with spring and traction control settings for the rover wheels to get the best grip. Hope this cover the basics.

As fun as it is climbing up a sheer wall. Carefully driving over the edge of the VAB roof without falling off and driving all the way down is very satisfying. Also perfecting a design that will climb up the tiered sides feels good.

Hi @Tsar_bomba. If you have Breaking ground then in Gamedata/SquadExpansion/Serenity/Parts/DeployedScience. Create a new text document saved as WeightBelt.cfg

Copy and paste the following in it and save.

Spoiler

PART
{
    name = WeightBelt
    module = Part
    author = Squad
    MODEL
    {
         model=SquadExpansion/Serenity/Parts/DeployedScience/Assets/GoExOb
    }    
    rescaleFactor = 0.4
    //node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.15, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
    TechRequired = miniaturization
    entryCost = 3500
    cost = 1000
    category = Cargo
    subcategory = 0
    title = Weight Belt

manufacturer = #autoLOC_501665 //#autoLOC_501665 = FLOOYD Dynamics Research Labs
    description = Weight Belt for underwater exploration.
    attachRules = 0,0,0,0,0
    mass = 0.09
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.1
    minimum_drag = 0.1
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 10
    maxTemp = 1200 // = 1200
    tags = #autoLOC_6012006 //#autoLOC_6012006 = experiment research science cargo deploy
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGroundExperiment
        powerUnitsProduced = 0
        powerUnitsRequired = 0    
        experimentId = deployedGooObservation
        placementAllowXRotation = false
        placementAllowZRotation = false
    }

}

This is raw without a mesh change so it will still look like the mystery goo machine.

Play Ksp. Make a craft with a Deployed science cabinet known in game as the Cargo catagory. Load with the machine named Weight Belt. Take your craft to water. EVA and have the Kerbal load the Weight Belt into their inventory slot. Happily sink. If you did this somewhere deep. Click on the inventory slot so the Weight Belt is on your pointer but don't put it anywhere. as long as you don't left click the mouse to drop it somewhere then the Kerbal will float back up and swim etc. If you click it back in the inventory slot the Kerbal will go back to sinking. Enjoy,

26 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

And as I also don't have an online image account I can't show you my screenshots, as apparently you can't directly upload from your computer here.

www.Imgur.com is what tons of people here use. Its free, no account needed... just go there, clic the green "New Post" in top left corner, drag/drop your image file on the left, from your Windows folder, then right click on the image after it shows, select "Copy image loacation" (IIRC), and paste that link in your forum post... your pic should immediately show in your post... easy-peasy ;)

5 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I like to see how realistic the physics of KSP are for things that were not it's original purpose. I have "Breaking Ground" and work within KSP 1.9.1.

That is called emergent behaviour. Basic laws of physics are programmed and phenomena appear.

Hi @Stone Blue. this just to see if it works. I have to see if I have my original building climbing shots as I once had a Kerbal Konstructs meltdown and to reload everything. If not I will have to play and take some new ones.

Nope I paste in the link hit insert, the background goes pink and nothing happens.

Edited by ColdJ

It's also a good way to find hidden bugs.

With all the nautical things I have seen on this forum, it's making me want to try my hand at a sub. One question, for buoyancy I assume you use fuel tanks that have a certain amount of fuel in them to allow them to sink and rise? Or is there another way? I've never done subs before.

35 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Hi @Stone Blue. Tried that. It was in the Cargo category but wouldn't transfer to the cabinet. I will also try the imgur thing, thanks.

Ahh,, i forgot what you were doing with the inventory...
Then you need to replace the expirement MODULE with this:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoPart
		stackableQuantity = 5
		packedVolume = 1.0
	}

the stacableQuantity value can be changed to however many belts you want to hold in a single inventory slot, and I just threw a random packedVolume value of 1.0 in.... that is whatever the volume of the part model is, in litres. Hopefully someone with BG installed could get you the correct number... doesnt need to be correct for the part to wor... just needs to be smaller when multiplied by the stacableQuantity, than the total volume allowed in the inventory container part you are putting it into

Edited by Stone Blue

Thanks  @Stone Blue . I will give it a try. Won't be a fast response as it takes 10 minutes to load my KSP. While you are being helpful. I have been modding a "RetroFuture Tail Mount UHB" to be an electric Submarine pusher propeller. The only thing I haven't solved is how to get the smoke trail to not show up. Any idea how to do this?

Hi @FruitGoose I will have to play and make some new screen shots of going up VAB but I did find some from my control tower climb and Satellite dish climb.

https://imgur.com/a/DYPoWzc

Now updated with new shots of my advanced design climbing the VAB. This 1 can slowly swim and has a separate flying sled it can drive onto and lock in with the Kerbal Attachment System. To take it to the mountains for sheer rock climbing.

Edited by ColdJ
New Pics

32 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Thanks  @Stone Blue . I will give it a try. Won't be a fast response as it takes 10 minutes to load my KSP. While you are being helpful. I have been modding a "RetroFuture Tail Mount UHB" to be an electric Submarine pusher propeller. The only thing I haven't solved is how to get the smoke trail to not show up. Any idea how to do this?

Not sure... probably just have to remove the smoke effects stuff from the engine effects module.
Engine effects are not my strong point...

Wow @Angel-125 You are seriously above my pay grade. I only created the weight belt because I couldn't find something like what you are making. I hope you share when you get it the way you want. I toyed around with kerbal ballast before I realised that I had to mod the "Future EVA" cfg in the Breaking Ground Expansion to get a change. so back then nothing showed up. I will have to try again. I was thinking "Eva propellant " as the input and ballast as the output. then reverse to come back.

To  @Tsar_bomba and @Stone Blue The amendment that Stone Blue presented worked and now the weight belt reads as "a cargo part that can be put in inventories" Thanks Stone Blue.

To @Stone Blue I solved the smoke trail issue. Even though I had blocked the line // it still kept showing up. So I changed

fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, power
to

fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

Now it will only appear if I flame out. Which being It is always going to be at sea level or under shouldn't happen.

https://imgur.com/a/fNyRzKP

20 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Wow @Angel-125 You are seriously above my pay grade. I only created the weight belt because I couldn't find something like what you are making. I hope you share when you get it the way you want. I toyed around with kerbal ballast before I realised that I had to mod the "Future EVA" cfg in the Breaking Ground Expansion to get a change. so back then nothing showed up. I will have to try again. I was thinking "Eva propellant " as the input and ballast as the output. then reverse to come back.

To  @Tsar_bomba and @Stone Blue The amendment that Stone Blue presented worked and now the weight belt reads as "a cargo part that can be put in inventories" Thanks Stone Blue.

Oh yes, definitely. Perhaps later this week, time permitting. I already have most of the plugin done (I wrote a submarine plugin into WildBlueTools a few years ago, but  it needs to be adapted to kerbals).

i copy and pasted that part file thing. im testing it out right now. its too heavy for a defalt kerbal. what am i missing

actualy, i modded femal kerbals to be able to lift 99 tons.

Edited by Tsar_bomba

15 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

i copy and pasted that part file thing. im testing it out right now. its too heavy for a defalt kerbal. what am i missing

Note that @ColdJ mentioned working in KSP 1.9.1. If you're in a newer version, your Kerbals may be lighter, if they are not wearing their jetpacks and chutes (this wasn't possible before).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.