ColdJ

Hi @Tsar_bomba. As @swjr-swis posted. I work within KSP 1.9.1 because all the mods I use play happily together in it. So my Kerbals all have a an RCS pack and parachute equipped at all times. I read somewhere that a fully kitted Kerbal weighs in at about 98kg. the 90kg weight belt makes them sink at no more than a metre a second in my game. Hope you got it worked out for your game. Seriously looking forward to @Angel-125 finishing his project. I can only drain a Kerbals EVA propellant quickly, because I can't workout how to get the ballast tank to actually appear in the Kerbal UI. Works fine in a ballast tank part but not in a Kerbal.

Hi @Angel-125 Seriously geeking out over your teaser Ad. So professional. Based on the name of your S.C.U.B.A manufacturer I am guessing that James Kerbal strkes like "Thunderball". If you are Wild Blue, I have WildBlueIndustries installed so I already have knowledge of your fine work. Maybe it should be S.K.U.B.A "Stylish Kerbal Underwater Breathing Apparatus" :D

29 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Hi @Angel-125 Seriously geeking out over your teaser Ad. So professional. Based on the name of your S.C.U.B.A manufacturer I am guessing that James Kerbal strkes like "Thunderball". If you are Wild Blue, I have WildBlueIndustries installed so I already have knowledge of your fine work. Maybe it should be S.K.U.B.A "Stylish Kerbal Underwater Breathing Apparatus" :D

Thanks! :) Yup, I created all the Wild Blue mods. SunkWorks and Sandcastle are my latest projects.

Hi @Tsar_bomba. As @swjr-swis posted. I work within KSP 1.9.1 because all the mods I use play happily together in it. So my Kerbals all have a an RCS pack and parachute equipped at all times. I read somewhere that a fully kitted Kerbal weighs in at about 98kg. the 90kg weight belt makes them sink at no more than a metre a second in my game.

@Angel-125 I guess I will still need the weight belt as I would like to have a Kerbal stand at the lowest point under the ocean without imploding if they are under 400m :)

@ColdJ I figured it out on 1.11.2. You just have to have the ionosphere measure deployable thing to counteract the weight of not having the parachute or jet pack. 
it works really well, but even with .001 extra tons, the seafoor sloping makes you swim and slows you down. Over the weekend I’m planning on walking from the launch pad to the island runway.

5 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

Over the weekend I’m planning on walking from the launch pad to the island runway.

Your kerbal won't survive the pressure - it get down to around 900m most of the way.

7 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

@ColdJ I figured it out on 1.11.2. You just have to have the ionosphere measure deployable thing to counteract the weight of not having the parachute or jet pack. 
it works really well, but even with .001 extra tons, the seafoor sloping makes you swim and slows you down. Over the weekend I’m planning on walking from the launch pad to the island runway.

@Tsar_bomba Well the mass in the config was set to 0.09 for 90kg and if Kerbals in your game have the same base weight without stuff on their back, then you would need another roughly 94 kg to equal 1.9.1 so 0.184 mass should do the trick I think. Have a story about visiting the lowest point I could in the ocean but just need to complete a message to another player on a different topic first.

@swjr-swis @Tsar_bomba

9 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Your kerbal won't survive the pressure - it get down to around 900m most of the way.

My Kerbal has survived -1391 metres. more in a while. My sub though did not.

@Tsar_bomba @swjr-swis @Angel-125 @Stone Blue

So, I traveled out to the point in the ocean where the forum said the lowest point in the ocean should be. I adjusted ballast and slowly sank till I very lightly touched town. As soon as I touched down every thing shook and sounded as if an earth quake was happening. My controls went haywire, my ballast controls reversed, I lost all electrical power. All resources in tanks emptied themselves. and now being without ballast I quickly ascended back up over a kilometer to be left stranded on the surface of the ocean. Glad I play Sandbox. I EVA'd a kerbal. Grabbed a weight belt and crossed fingers as I descended very slowly back down. Thankfully he didn't implode when I touched down. I then used the "DEV" console to see my Lat, Long and depth so I could walk around till I found the lowest point I could. Forgot to plant a flag but got some screen shots. I guess that is Squad's version of "Crush Depth"

https://imgur.com/a/ixqe8K6

Never can get the image to show up on here. whenever I paste in a link and hit insert ,the box goes pink and nothing happens.

What mods are you using?

6 minutes ago, ColdJ said:As soon as I touched down every thing shook and sounded as if an earth quake was happening. My controls went haywire, my ballast controls reversed, I lost all electrical power. All resources in tanks emptied themselves. and now being without ballast I quickly ascended back up over a kilometer to be left stranded on the surface of the ocean. Glad I play Sandbox. I EVA'd a kerbal. Grabbed a weight belt and crossed fingers as I descended very slowly back down. Thankfully he didn't implode when I touched down. I then used the "DEV" console to see my Lat, Long and depth so I could walk around till I found the lowest point I could. Forgot to plant a flag but got some screen shots. I guess that is Squad's version of "Crush Depth"

23 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

What mods are you using?

@Tsar_bomba For that sub. My Mk2 Ballast tanks (40 litre capacity each). "Kerbal Attachment System" My monopropellent intake on the roof to refresh the RCS blocks. Can't remember whose mod they came from, also not sure they are actually doing anything underwater. I made the intake for my Harrier Jumpjet and F35B Lightning II. It only works in an oxygen atmosphere. Landing VTOL aircraft in small areas can burn through a lot of monopropellant. It is set to only trickle monopropellant back in.  The tail fins I believe are "Airplane Plus" Tweakscaled. The pusher propeller is a modded "Retro Future" Tail mount UHB. Converted to Electric Charge. Slowed to submarine speed spin of the props. Took away the transition to blur and removed the smoke trail. I think the rest is stock.

The nose might be "MK2 Expansion" That mod has some great parts. I especially love the (once attachment rules were adjusted include surface and linked the the config file to an internal mesh, so that I could exit it as well as enter it) put anywhere hatch.

Edited by ColdJ
Memory jog.

29 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

https://imgur.com/a/ixqe8K6

Never can get the image to show up on here. whenever I paste in a link and hit insert ,the box goes pink and nothing happens.

You're using the wrong URL; that won't work in this forum.

• Hover the mouse over 'down arrow' in the top right corner of the image, and you should get a small menu.
  • Select 'Get share links', and copy the BBCode one. Paste into your forum message.
  • It will paste as text, with tags around it. Just delete the tags and press enter at the end of the URL.
  • The image will pop up.

Don't ask me why it has to be so complicated. You'll get used to it once you've done it a few times.

qJP7Tqz.png

1 minute ago, Tsar_bomba said:

16 gigs? You must have so many mods. I have 8 gigs and I rarely fully utilize Them.

When you are building and testing constantly it fills up the memory. Something in Squad's Unity engine doesn't clean out stuff you have done but don't need anymore while playing.

1 minute ago, ColdJ said:

When you are building and testing constantly it fills up the memory. Something in Squad's Unity engine doesn't clean out stuff you have done but don't need anymore while playing.

That makes sence. I play Minecraft more tbh, so I normally just mess around in ksp.

Just now, Tsar_bomba said:

That makes sence. I play Minecraft more tbh, so I normally just mess around in ksp.

Everytime I get my minecraft world just right they bring out a new update And I start from scratch to see what I can achieve. I miss all my skeleton horses from when they used to spawn in great numbers every thunderstorm.

5 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

Ksp really doesn’t do well with water. I’m hopping that ksp 2 will improve on it. Most of my submarines consist of an ore tank, a command pod, and way too many parachutes.

Don't understand the parachutes unless you launch your subs from the rocket pad. Just made me think "Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could use a parachute as a spinnaker to pull boats." :)

12 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Don't understand the parachutes unless you launch your subs from the rocket pad. Just made me think "Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could use a parachute as a spinnaker to pull boats." :)

I launch mine as a rocket because I’m lazy. That would be cool if you could use parachutes as thrust.

If you have pressure effects turned on, then the max depth you can attain is 400m with helmet on, and 50m without helmet. Most parts default to a max depth of 400m. That's on Kerbin though; the max pressure is 4000 kPA, so depth will vary depending upon what planet you're on.

35 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

If you have pressure effects turned on, then the max depth you can attain is 400m with helmet on, and 50m without helmet. Most parts default to a max depth of 400m. That's on Kerbin though; the max pressure is 4000 kPA, so depth will vary depending upon what planet you're on.

Had no Idea. Interesting that Bill survived but my Submarine got totalled. I play in 1.9.1 and have regularly gone below 1000 metres. Which would suggest I don't have pressure effects turned on. So what sabotaged all my Submarine's systems?

Edited by ColdJ
More depth to my question.

19 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Had no Idea. Interesting that Bill survived but my Submarine got totalled. I play in 1.9.1 and have regularly gone below 1000 metres. Which would suggest I don't have pressure effects turned on. So what sabotaged all my Submarine's systems?

That’s what I wondered. Without something extra I don’t think ksp messes with controls. I instantly thought of mods because that doesn’t seem like stock ksp but it could be.

2 hours ago, Tsar_bomba said:

That’s what I wondered. Without something extra I don’t think ksp messes with controls. I instantly thought of mods because that doesn’t seem like stock ksp but it could be.

Couldn't even find settings for pressure depth so it will remain a mystery. Or it is an easter egg for those who venture in a craft to the lowest point on kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.