ColdJ

Just now, Hotel26 said:

The Supercharged-Submarine-To-Orbit Challenge...

Been there done that. Before learning how to use the Atmosphere Curve keys. Do you remember that when I used a pulse jet created and configed by Retro Future, that my plane ended up in orbit around the Sun?

11 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

The Supercharged-Submarine-To-Orbit Challenge...  ya know, all our fun is gonna stop when the Blender guys get here?  :(

Why?

Quick first. Some model cfg s don't play nice in the same folder. In this case I think it was because It was using the old (mesh =) rather than

MODEL

{

model =

}

So tada, a kerbal trapped in a ball.

2RCt2FT.png

Now for the good news. Thanks to the magic created by @Snark. In showing how to stack meshes in a cfg . I have got the RCS underwater chair down to 2 main pieces, and a micro docking node. The chair provides power and IonSteam for the thrusters and has adjustable in the field ballast. The thrusters have 5 nozzeles. And Electric Charge is a limited reserve, but it only trickles away slowly when not being used to pump ballast or run thrusters. So if you dock the chair with a sub that generates Electric Charge it will recharge.

SSOTg6M.png1eQOqrQ.png

Still tweaking my version of the Superheated Ion Steam Drive. Nicknamed the "Point Drive"

VPmlUrh.png

@Hotel26 @Angel-125 @Tsar_bomba @Caerfinon @swjr-swis @Klapaucius @Dientus @Stone Blue @Astrion @Cavscout74 @BadOaks @JorgeCS @Weak Player @N_Danger  @JadeOfMaar

Edited by ColdJ

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

And Electric Charge is a limited reserve, but it only trickles away slowly when not being used to pump ballast or run thrusters. So if you dock the chair with a sub that generates Electric Charge it will recharge.

I cant thin of a good, tiny stoc part model to use right now, but how about "welding" in, a "microRTG" to the bottom of the chair? :P vOv

If LGG allows it, the SSR MicroSat mod has a nice 0.325m smol RTG model, that looks like it would make a nice "structural base" for the chair, too...

Its the smol, finned, square part shown here at the bottom of this sat

h2I9y8f.png

Edited by Stone Blue

25 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I cant thin of a good, tiny stoc part model to use right now, but how about "welding" in, a "microRTG" to the bottom of the chair? :P vOv

If LGG allows it, the SSR MicroSat mod has a nice 0.325m smol RTG model, that looks like it would make a nice "structural base" for the chair, too...

Its the smol, finned, square part shown here at the bottom of this sat

h2I9y8f.png

Hi. I could have built an RTG into the actual chair but that would be like a space walk where your EVA Propellant never ran out. Convienent but not realistic. This is like a little 1 Kerbal micro sub for want of better. Or UnderWater RCS as I like to call it. Just imagine it runs on the Latest battery technology. Like your smartphone that is always on. Don't touch it and in my case on 3g I can make it last over a month. But if I look up things and play music etc It only lasts a week.

10 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Hi. I could have built an RTG into the actual chair but that would be like a space walk where your EVA Propellant never ran out. Convienent but not realistic. This is like a little 1 Kerbal micro sub for want of better. Or UnderWater RCS as I like to call it. Just imagine it runs on the Latest battery technology. Like your smartphone that is always on. Don't touch it and in my case on 3g I can make it last over a month. But if I look up things and play music etc It only lasts a week.

I doubt that an RTGs of a convenient size would have enough power to continuously run anything. It could probably be done without making it overpourd

21 hours ago, Tsar_bomba said:

I doubt that an RTGs of a convenient size would have enough power to continuously run anything. It could probably be done without making it overpourd

Then you would have thrusters that suddenly cut out while you are maneuvering. My Subs run on RTGs because they are nuclear powered. A nuclear powered chair seems a bit hot. I could always  Tony Stark up an Arc Reactor but in the real world electric subs have a limited run time between charges. We could reconfig anything to be over the top, but then there would be no challenge or immersion in trying to get something done while working in a hostile to Kerbal enviroment. You like the challenge of getting to Duna on your own wits. You could easily teleport whatever you like there but it would lose all it's lustre very quickly.

Hi decide to go completely original resources. Hopefully I have. Anybody know how I get them added to the "Community Resource Pack's" next update?

@Hotel26 @Angel-125 @Tsar_bomba @Caerfinon @swjr-swis @Klapaucius @Dientus @Stone Blue @Astrion @Cavscout74 @BadOaks @JorgeCS @Weak Player @N_Danger  @JadeOfMaar@Hohmannson

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
      name = SuBall
      displayName = Sub Ballast
      abbreviation= SuB
      density = 1.00
      unitCost = 0.01
      hsp = 30
      flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
      transfer = PUMP
      isTweakable = true
    RESOURCE_DRAIN_DEFINITION
    {
        isDrainable = false
        showDrainFX = false
    }
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
      name = IonSteam
      displayName = Ion Steam
      abbreviation = INSTM
      density = 0.0001
      unitCost = 0
      hsp = 3000
      flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
      transfer = PUMP
      isTweakable = false
      isVisible = false
    {
        isDrainable = false
        showDrainFX = false
    }
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = IntakeWater
  displayName = Intake Water
  abbreviation = INWTR
  density = 0.001
  unitCost = 0
  hsp = 10
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
      {
        isDrainable = false
        showDrainFX = false
      }
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = EVA Ballast
  displayName = EVA Ballast
  abbreviation = EB
  density = 0.010
  unitCost = 0
  hsp = 30
  flowMode = NO_FLOW
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = True
      {
        isDrainable = false
        showDrainFX = false
      }
}

Also wondering is there an etiquete to using meshes created by others. I have mod packs where the modder has completely done all there own work and made unique models e.g "NMB" but others who mostly took existing Meshes and And reconfiged them, they even have the config files pointing to Squad folders for textures e.g "NSI" so how do I go about it? Can I ask permission? do I need to ask permission? or do I need to find someone willing to create new meshes?

@Hotel26 @Angel-125 @Tsar_bomba @Caerfinon @swjr-swis @Klapaucius @Dientus @Stone Blue @Astrion @Cavscout74 @BadOaks @JorgeCS @Weak Player @N_Danger  @JadeOfMaar

26 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Can I ask permission? do I need to ask permission? or do I need to find someone willing to create new meshes?

It would depend on the license of the mod. If it open source as long as you abide by the license conditions it's OK usually with a credit of the original work. Terms vary with each mod.
If it's "All Rights Reserved, then you need permission.

2 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

It would depend on the license of the mod. If it open source as long as you abide by the license conditions it's OK usually with a credit of the original work. Terms vary with each mod.
If it's "All Rights Reserved, then you need permission.

Thanks. I will need to go in and read the licenses.

Singing "And so your back, from outer space, I just came in to find you here with that sad look upon your face, I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made you leave your key. If I had thought for just 1 moment you'd be back to bother me.......................

Well a day of much frustration trying to intergrate a docking port into a chair and failing. On the upside, trying to intergate Mechjeb into a chair and succeding. Also finally got my "Porpoise Point Drive" to behave sensibly. 20m/s on the surface and 150m/s at depth. For those of you who understand "Float Curves" and "Tangents" in relation to KSP/Unity key definitions. If you don't already know, there is a lovely plugin to KSP called the Amazing Curve Editor. Very handy for making Jet engines work sensibly at different altitudes and speeds.

So 2 versions of the underwater RCS, assisted and not assisted. 5 port RCS thrusters in EVA size and Submarine size. A micro docking port that fits on the bottom of the chair and works well. Anyone else out there done a long distance underwater rendeverous and successful docking?

Various adjustable ballast tanks in large Sub Ballast and small EVA Ballast sizes. Buoyancy compensating Kerbals and various types of Sub engines that work well underwater. All the things I came here looking for and then ended up creating myself. Oh I seriously hope that @Angel-125 s Sunkworks mod works on my version of KSP, as I am not in a rush to go to 1.11. His SCUBA gear would just take the immersion to a whole new level.

pNFVUhx.png7RPOymT.pngU42iXSd.pngJr2c1QC.pngWbqY2FF.pngNvSUX9R.png

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Also wondering is there an etiquete to using meshes created by others. I have mod packs where the modder has completely done all there own work and made unique models e.g "NMB" but others who mostly took existing Meshes and And reconfiged them, they even have the config files pointing to Squad folders for textures e.g "NSI" so how do I go about it? Can I ask permission? do I need to ask permission? or do I need to find someone willing to create new meshes?

@Caerfinon
said it right on. I personally like to send an email to even open source GPL authors just to be polite.

I know reading the licenses is a pain, but it can not only protect the persons work, but your own as well. GNU GPL for example, is written in a way that anything you use with that license, you agree to release your work under that license as well. In your instance, I am assuming that is not an issue for you since you post publicly on forums. Its just something to be mindful of is all.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

All the things I came here looking for and then ended up creating myself. Oh I seriously hope that @Angel-125 s Sunkworks mod works on my version of KSP, as I am not in a rush to go to 1.11. His SCUBA gear would just take the immersion to a whole new level.

That's kind of how it is. If you can't find what you're looking for, making it yourself is the way to go. SunkWorks is made for KSP 1.11; SCUBA gear requires 1.11 for the cargo parts and Stock EVA Construction changes.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

So 2 versions of the underwater RCS, assisted and not assisted. 5 port RCS thrusters in EVA size and Submarine size. A micro docking port that fits on the bottom of the chair and works well. Anyone else out there done a long distance underwater rendeverous and successful docking?

I would be interested in having a space version of the chair for an EMU-like thing.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Well a day of much frustration trying to intergrate a docking port into a chair and failing.

Docking ports are their own special kind of beast, as far as KSP parts go. There's a reason several mods make a special exception out of docking ports when doing wholesale MM patches (or welding).

That thrustchair is really coming together. Professor X meets Aquaman.

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Anybody know how I get them added to the "Community Resource Pack's" next update?

Doing this is no easy process. You need a team effort and a lot of time:

1. You have to make sure you make as much use of the CRP yourself as possible. Example: CRP contains IntakeLqd which is exactly what your IntakeWater is trying to be, however, not all oceans are water, therefore it is named IntakeLqd and if you intend to get water you need to equip a dedicated Water harvester which will tap the discrete Water presence in the ocean. Don't make a converter that turns IntakeLqd into Water, as then it won't make sense on alien worlds like Eve or Tekto where the ocean is obviously not water.
  2. The resources you create need to be widely adopted or adopted by highly popular mods. Example: You need to get the other makers of submarine mods to adopt your resources. (Good luck with that, seriously.) And undersea gameplay needs to actually take off and be attracting to a great portion of the playerbase.
  3. The owners of the CRP need to then be made aware of your resources and vote on them. They are all titans among modders, all owning and using significant fractions of the CRP in their own mods.
1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I would be interested in having a space version of the chair for an EMU-like thing.

Actually yes!

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Also finally got my "Porpoise Point Drive" to behave sensibly. 20m/s on the surface and 150m/s at depth

I assume this is a dual-mode engine? One mode for use in air, the other for undersea.

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That's kind of how it is. If you can't find what you're looking for, making it yourself is the way to go. SunkWorks is made for KSP 1.11; SCUBA gear requires 1.11 for the cargo parts and Stock EVA Construction changes.

Bugger ;.;

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

assume this is a dual-mode engine? One mode for use in air, the other for undersea.

Hi JadeOfMaar. It is a cruise engine. Through use of the atmosphere curve, it is too weak to fly above sea level but it's ISP increases with depth. Weirdly not as much as you would think it would need to. It took a while to get it balanced right, had some wildly overpowered ones to start that would burn you up in seconds or if it didn,t it put you in to orbit. Being as they are marine engines I don't want them to be able to push planes through the sky. I just need to grab the relevant info and then I will put the configs up for it and the Mechjeb enabled RCS. I happily share all my work. If a parts pack comes about it will be only so that more people than are on the forums have access to the parts so they can play in the oceans of their own games.

@Hotel26 @Angel-125 @Tsar_bomba @Caerfinon @swjr-swis @Klapaucius @Dientus @Stone Blue @Astrion @Cavscout74 @BadOaks @JorgeCS @Weak Player @N_Danger  @JadeOfMaar@Hohmannson@Spaceman.Spiff

To follow will be the configs for the mechjeb enabled chair and Porpoise Point Drive. They both use mesh stacking in the config files. The drive uses stock parts except for the bubble trail which is Angel-125's I think he is ok with that. If you aren't just let me know. You require the Squad shock cone intake as the first mesh, and the Juno as the inner mesh that is required so that it functions as an engine, rotated 180. I am still playing around with fx settings for the bubble trail but it looks ok. The engine is currently without sound as Hotel26 preferred silent, but I will be adding something as silent slowly freaks me out over time. I wish the electric rotors at least had a low hum.

The mech chair will require the EAS-1 external command chair as it's main mesh, then a radially attached monoprop tank for the second and then you will require the mechjeb mod pack and it's AR202 case mesh as the 3rd. I love the little in joke in the title of the the texture file for it. "AR202_HD2_tex"

For Spaceman.Spiff , just remove the Ion Steam generator and change the resource of EVA Ballast to a monoprop amount that is fair, no monoprop generator as that would be cheating. The original use is in water where you are surrounded by reaction mass. Just use regular RCS thrusters , though be warned that regular thrusters are designed to push greater mass, so you will probably need to lower the thrust for EVA. If you use the Kerbanov mesh I use at the settings I use then the bottom corner of the thruster pack just touching the top corner of the chair post that hold the controls should have you balanced for all directions. The Electric Charge would theoretically be to run the Mechjeb, cept I nerfed it. And means you can put lights on the chair and a shrunk down KAS winch. The winch is good because if you get out the chair you can attach the connector to you so as to not have the chair float off or attach it to the ship you are working on if you have given it a connector. The chair uses the "Cubic Octostrut attach parameters so that you can attach things to it.

For the the underwater thrusters you will need the Kerbonov 4 port Probe RCS as the first mesh and the Squad linear "Place Anywhere" monoprop RCS as the second. I have been deleloping my own folder structure so either create it in yours or amend pathways to what you want to set it up as. Angel-125. I moved your PumpjetExhaustFull1 and 2 into the Squad fx folder for convenience, I hope that is ok.

Spoiler

PointDrive.cfg

containing.

PART
{
    name = PointDrive
    module = Part
    author = Porkjet, NovaSilisko, Snark, Hotel26, ColdJ

MODEL
    {
        model = WorkingUnderwater/PointDrive/ConeIntake
    }

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.625, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

MODEL
       {
            model = WorkingUnderwater/PointDrive/SmallJet
            scale = 0.1
            rotation = 180, 0, 0
        }

scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1
    //node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    TechRequired = ionPropulsion
    entryCost = 1500
    cost = 1000
    category = Engine
    subcategory = 0
    title = Porpoise Point Drive
    manufacturer = C7 in conjunction with CJ marine.
    description = A nuclear heated high pressure Ionised steam drive for sub racing.
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
    mass = 0.500
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 700
    breakingForce = 2000
    breakingTorque = 2000
    maxTemp = 2000
    fuelCrossFeed = True
    bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf
    tags = submarine water propulsion engine jet thrust

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineId = Cruise
        thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
        exhaustDamage = False
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 50
        heatProduction = 0
        powerEffectName = IonPlume
        runningEffectName = Bubbles1
        EngineType = Turbine

PROPELLANT
    {
        name = IntakeWater
        ignoreForIsp = True
        ratio = 2
    }
    PROPELLANT
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        resourceFlowMode = STAGE_STACK_FLOW_BALANCE
        ratio = 1
        DrawGauge = True
    }
         atmosphereCurve
        {
        key = 0 2 0 0

key = 1 2 24.75 24.75

key = 5 200 49.5 49.5

}

}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSurfaceFX
        thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
        fxMax = 0.6
        maxDistance = 10
        falloff = 2
        thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
        animationName = colorAnimation
        dependOnEngineState = True
        responseSpeed = 0.5
        engineName = Cruise
        dependOnThrottle = True
    }

EFFECTS
    {        
        IonPlume
        {
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                modelName = Squad/FX/IonPlume
                transformName = thrustTransform
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.25 0.5            
                emission = 1.0 1.0
                //speed = 0.0 0.0
                //speed = 1.0 1.0
                localPosition = 0, 0, 0.12
            }
        }
        Bubbles1
        {
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                modelName = Squad/FX/PumpjetExhaustFull1
                transformName = thrustTransform
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.25 0.5            
                emission = 1.0 1.0
                //speed = 0.0 0.0
                //speed = 1.0 1.0
                localPosition = 0, 0, 0.12
            }
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAlternator
        RESOURCE
        {
        name = ElectricCharge
        rate = 1
        }
    }
}

Now the chair.

Spoiler

MarineMechRCS.cfg

containing.

PART
{
    name = MarineRCSSEAT2Alt3
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko, r4m0n/The_Duck (code) || keptin (part), ColdJ

// mesh = MRCSSeat.mu
    MODEL
    {
        model = WorkingUnderwater/MarineCommandSeat/MRCSSeat
    }
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
    node_attach = 0.0, -0.1287344, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
    MODEL
    {
        model = WorkingUnderwater/MarineCommandSeat/BallastBall
        scale = 0.2
    }
    MODEL
    {
        model = WorkingUnderwater/MarineCommandSeat/Mechunit
        scale = 0.2
    }

scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1
    Buoyancy = 0.4
    TechRequired = fieldScience
    entryCost = 8100
    cost = 200
    category = Pods
    subcategory = 0
    title = EAS-M Marine Assisted RCS
    manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets in conjunction with CJ Marine
    description = The EAS-M External Command Seat provides all the controls needed to fully operate in a marine enviroment.
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
    mass = 0.0001
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.05
    minimum_drag = 0.05
    angularDrag = 1
    crashTolerance = 6
    breakingForce = 20
    breakingTorque = 20
    maxTemp = 1200 // = 2900
    vesselType = Rover
    CrewCapacity = 1
    bulkheadProfiles = srf
    tags = Submarine water chair control kerbal rover
    MODULE
    {
        name = KerbalSeat
        seatPivotName = seatPivot
        ejectDirection = 0.0, 0.1, 0.1
        ejectionForceMax = 100.0
        ejectionForcePercentage = 0.0
        ejectionForceDirection = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 200
        maxAmount = 200
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = IonSteam
        amount = 0.5
        maxAmount = 0.5
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = EVA Ballast
        amount = 0.00
        maxAmount = 2.0
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGenerator
        isAlwaysActive = false
        requiresAllInputs = true
        activateGUIName = FillEB Start
        shutdownGUIName = FillEB Stop
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = EVA Ballast
            rate = 0.0200
        }
    INPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.001
        }    
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGenerator
        requiresAllInputs = true
        isAlwaysActive = false
        activateGUIName = EmptyEB Start
        shutdownGUIName = EmptyEB Stop
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.001
        }

INPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = EVA Ballast
            rate = 0.0200
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGenerator
        isAlwaysActive = true
        OUTPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = IonSteam
            rate = 3
        }    
        INPUT_RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.005
        }

}
        MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 0

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

MechJebLocalSettings
         {

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
            }

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebAR202

}

}

Looking through as I put that in reminded me I have altered mesh names and hex edited so that they point to my textures. In the folder of originals: So MRCSSeat = model, as found in Squad's External command seat. BallastBall = model. as found in Squads RCSTankRadial. Mechunit = model. as found in Mechjeb2's MechJeb2_AR202.

The thrusters

Spoiler

6wayEVA.cfg

containing

PART

{

name = 6wayEVA
    module = Part

author = Sam Hall, Pablo, ColdJ

MODEL

{

model = WorkingUnderwater/MarineEVA/SRCSmodel
        scale = 1.0, 0.5, 1.0

}

MODEL
    {
    model = WorkingUnderwater/MarineEVA/linearSubRCS
    scale = 0.5
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_attach = 0.0, -0.01, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = precisionEngineering

entryCost = 4500

cost = 650

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = EVA 6 way
    manufacturer = Kerbsmogorsk Heavy Industry

description = A small RCS thruster block with its own built-in monopropellant supply. Designed with the tiniest, daintiest spacecraft in mind.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.0
    dragModelType = defaul

maximum_drag = 0.001
    minimum_drag = 0.001

angularDrag = 0.001

crashTolerance = 12

maxTemp = 2000

bulkheadProfiles = srf

tags = water RCS submarine rcs

//MODULE

//{

//    name = ModuleRCS

//    thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

//    thrusterPower = 0.3

//    resourceName = MonoPropellant

//    atmosphereCurve

//     {

//       key = 0 250

//     key = 1 80

//     key = 3 0.001

//     }

//}

// --- rcs module parameters ---

EFFECTS

{

running

{

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = sound_IonEngine
                volume = 0.0 0.0

volume = 0.02 0.2

volume = 0.2 0.2

volume = 0.4 0.2

pitch = 0.0 0.7

pitch = 1.0 1.5

loop = true

}

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE

{

modelName = Squad/FX/PumpjetExhaustFull2
                transformName = RCSthruster

emission = 0.0 0.0

emission = 0.1 0.0

emission = 0.4 1.0

speed = 0.0 0.8

speed = 1.0 1.0

localRotation = -90, 0, 0

}

}
    }

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRCSFX

thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

thrusterPower = 0.3
        resourceName = IonSteam
        runningEffectName = running

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 250

key = 1 1000
             key = 5 9000
        }

}

RESOURCE

{

name = IonSteam
        amount = 1
        maxAmount = 1
    }

}

SRCSmodel = PRCSmodel as found in Kerbanov Prcs. linearSubRCS = linearRCS as found in Squad linearVernorRCS.

My sub RCS uses the same meshes, just different configuration and Intake water not Ion Sream. I will look through the community resource packs And if the Intake liquid is a match for Intake water I will swap. The Ion Steam density needs to be what it is or the chair Buoyancy will have to be totally rebalanced, and it took some time to get it where I wanted it.

Sub RCS

Spoiler

6waySub.cfg

containing.

PART

{

name = 6waySub
    module = Part

author = Sam Hall, Pablo, ColdJ

MODEL

{

model = WorkingUnderwater/SubRCS/SRCSmodel
        scale = 1.5, 0.5, 1.5
    }

MODEL
    {
    model = WorkingUnderwater/SubRCS/linearSubRCS
    scale = 0.5
        rotation = 0, 0, 0
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_attach = 0.0, -0.01, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = precisionEngineering

entryCost = 4500

cost = 650

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = Submarine 6 way
    manufacturer = Kerbsmogorsk Heavy Industry

in conjunction with CJ marine.
    description = A sturdy submarine thruster pack for all your directional needs.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.200
    dragModelType = defaul

maximum_drag = 0.001
    minimum_drag = 0.001

angularDrag = 0.001

crashTolerance = 2000
    breakingForce = 5000
    breakingTorque = 5000

maxTemp = 2000

bulkheadProfiles = srf

tags = water RCS submarine

//MODULE

//{

//    name = ModuleRCS

//    thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

//    thrusterPower = 0.3

//    resourceName = MonoPropellant

//    atmosphereCurve

//     {

//       key = 0 250

//     key = 1 80

//     key = 3 0.001

//     }

//}

// --- rcs module parameters ---

EFFECTS

{

running

{

AUDIO

{

channel = Ship

clip = sound_IonEngine
                volume = 0.0 0.0

volume = 0.02 0.2

volume = 0.2 0.2

volume = 0.4 0.2

pitch = 0.0 0.7

pitch = 1.0 1.5

loop = true

}

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE

{

modelName = Squad/FX/PumpjetExhaustFull2
                transformName = RCSthruster

emission = 0.0 0.0

emission = 0.1 0.0

emission = 0.4 1.0

speed = 0.0 0.8

speed = 1.0 1.0

localRotation = -90, 0, 0

}

}
    }

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRCSFX

thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

thrusterPower = 1
        resourceName = IntakeWater
        runningEffectName = running

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 20

key = 1 100
             key = 5 5000
        }

}

RESOURCE

{

name = IntakeWater
        amount = 10
        maxAmount = 10
    }

}

The resources were published a few posts back. I think I have given you the various Ballast tanks but if not ask and you shall recieve.

If I have missed something let me know.

@ColdJ You'll find these parameters very useful for interaction with oceans (if you're not already aware of them). With these you can (directly) cause an engine to fail when submerged, and you can (indirectly) cause an engine (or RCS thruster) to only be usable while submerged by having it depend on IntakeLqd supplied through an intake caused (directly) to only function underwater. This will give you the freedom needed to configure an engine that's as powerful as you wish underwater but absolutely useless for any SSTO or airborne vehicle.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEnginesFX
	disableUnderwater = false
}
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleResourceIntake
	disableUnderwater = false // don't set both of these to true. That's a big El Stupido
	underwaterOnly = false
}

MODULE
{
	resourceName = IntakeLqd
	checkForOxygen = False // When false, this intake will always produce this given resource when in atmosphere, ignoring resource placement rules and ignoring whether "Oxygen" is enabled for the given planet.
	area = ?
	intakeSpeed = ?
	intakeTransformName = ?
	underwaterOnly = True // Causes the intake to only operate when submerged. Will empty when exposed to atmosphere.
}

With that in place, you don't need to rely on an insane Isp curve. Something more mellow like [shown below] and a higher maxThrust value will make your day. Also, consider adding spool behavior to your engine. Even though it's a rocket engine, I'm sure you'll want it to have gradual response if it's high thrust and usable in the deepest depths.

Also, your Porpoise engine consumes ElectricCharge and yet produces it through its Alternator. Having both doesn't make sense. The Alternator should go.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEnginesFX
	engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.5 // 0.5 (Dry) and 0.8 (Wet) are used in the Panther. Feel free to go above 1. Higher value = quicker response
	engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.5
	atmosphereCurve
	{
		key = 0 2 0 0
		key = 1 2 0 0.02247191
		key = 90 6
	}
}

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@ColdJ You'll find these parameters very useful for interaction with oceans (if you're not already aware of them). With these you can (directly) cause an engine to fail when submerged, and you can (indirectly) cause an engine (or RCS thruster) to only be usable while submerged by having it depend on IntakeLqd supplied through an intake caused (directly) to only function underwater. This will give you the freedom needed to configure an engine that's as powerful as you wish underwater but absolutely useless for any SSTO or airborne vehicle.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEnginesFX
	disableUnderwater = false
}
MODULE
{
	disableUnderwater = false // don't set both of these to true. That's a big El Stupido
	underwaterOnly = false
}

MODULE
{
	resourceName = IntakeLqd
	checkForOxygen = False // When false, this intake will always produce this given resource when in atmosphere, ignoring resource placement rules and ignoring whether "Oxygen" is enabled for the given planet.
	area = ?
	intakeSpeed = ?
	intakeTransformName = ?
	underwaterOnly = True // Causes the intake to only operate when submerged. Will empty when exposed to atmosphere.
}

With that in place, you don't need to rely on an insane Isp curve. Something more mellow like [shown below] and a higher maxThrust value will make your day. Also, consider adding spool behavior to your engine. Even though it's a rocket engine, I'm sure you'll want it to have gradual response if it's high thrust and usable in the deepest depths.

Also, your Porpoise engine consumes ElectricCharge and yet produces it through its Alternator. Having both doesn't make sense. The Alternator should go.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEnginesFX
	engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.5 // 0.5 (Dry) and 0.8 (Wet) are used in the Panther. Feel free to go above 1. Higher value = quicker response
	engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.5
	atmosphereCurve
	{
		key = 0 2 0 0
		key = 1 2 0 0.02247191
		key = 90 6
	}
}

Hi @Hohmannson already started me on that. I am working up to it. You have got here late so you probably don't realise I have separate water Intakes for the Intake Water that the engine needs. It is not a rocket. The ISP is not insane. Would you expect an outboard motor on a dingy to be able to push you through the air? My problem was that it was TOO powerful before. I have had engines work down from starting at melting everything in seconds underwater to going supersonic to finally being comfortable. Subs don't like 320m/s as they start to vibrate from the extra drag. The Alternator is a throwback from the beginnings ofthe  file I started on and will be removed on final product. The engine has 50 thrust but does 150m/s at depth. Thanks for the other info. I will learn the ins and outs of using it. I am not going to have afterburning engines underwater, I think that the reasoning for that is straight forward. Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.