ColdJ

Ok so Here is the community resource packs intake liquid vs intake water. and saying if it is not on kerbin then it is not water is being pedantic.

So the density is the same but not all factors. And why is the HSP so high? Have I got the understanding backwards? Is it puts out or absorbs?

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
    name = IntakeLqd    //Like IntakeAtm but for oceans
    displayName = #LOC_CRP_IntakeLqd_DisplayName    //Like IntakeAtm but for oceans
    density = 0.0010000000
    hsp = 4183 // specific heat capacity (kJ/tonne-K as units)
    flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
    transfer = PUMP
    isTweakable = true
    isVisible = true
    unitCost = 0.0008
    color = .5,.5,1
    volume = 1
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = IntakeWater
  displayName = Intake Water
  abbreviation = INWTR
  density = 0.001
  unitCost = 0
  hsp = 10
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
      RESOURCE_DRAIN_DEFINITION
      {
        isDrainable = false
        showDrainFX = false
      }
}

44 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

You have got here late so you probably don't realise I have separate water Intakes for the Intake Water that the engine needs.

Yeah, I'm late. :P

44 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

It is not a rocket. The ISP is not insane. Would you expect an outboard motor on a dingy to be able to push you through the air? My problem was that it was TOO powerful before. I have had engines work down from starting at melting everything in seconds underwater to going supersonic to finally being comfortable.

Pardon me if it's a big deal, indeed. I considered your engine a rocket because it's not a turbine engine and it's rather high thrust for an ion engine...And I'm not accustomed referring to thrusters that aren't jet engines or RCS, as something other than rockets.

40 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

if I put in underwater only, what happens if I am moving on the surface of the water?

Each intake that is not submerged won't produce its resource, so the engine will lose out on input amounts and will starve. Such intakes must therefore always be on the belly of the ship for the best chance of staying submerged at all times.

10 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

and saying if it is not on kerbin then it is not water is being pedantic.

Uh, right... I'll just leave that alone, then.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:
47 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

if I put in underwater only, what happens if I am moving on the surface of the water?

Each intake that is not submerged won't produce its resource, so the engine will lose out on input amounts and will starve. Such intakes must therefore always be on the belly of the ship for the best chance of staying submerged at all times.

Ahh thats going to fun if you make a mistake that throws you out of the water for a sec and immediately rip off all your intakes. Or rub it against the sea floor.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

It is not a rocket. The ISP is not insane. Would you expect an outboard motor on a dingy to be able to push you through the air? My problem was that it was TOO powerful before. I have had engines work down from starting at melting everything in seconds underwater to going supersonic to finally being comfortable.

Pardon me if it's a big deal, indeed. I considered your engine a rocket because it's not a turbine engine and it's rather high thrust for an ion engine...And I'm not accustomed referring to thrusters that aren't jet engines or RCS, as something other than rockets.

Oooh, you are fun. Please look up Pulse Jet engine. Here this will make it easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_jet_engine

And Impeller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeller

Rockets contain a limited set of resources inside an enclosed shell that are generally mixed and ignited and don't stop till the contents are exhausted.

Jets intake, heat up and expel under pressure atmospheric gases and fluids depending on the medium they are in.

As they said in RED October. "Engage the silent drive."

Anyhow , no seriousness. We are all having fun learning from each other. :)

@JadeOfMaar

If anybody wants their textures to look like my chair and thrusters.

Chair

mWaEhQ7.png

Thrusters

QcC9gap.png

Ballast Ball

9Olk6qW.png

Please rember if you convert them to dds to flip the verticaly first.

Edited by ColdJ

9 hours ago, ColdJ said:

e mech chair will require the EAS-1 external command chair as it's main mesh, then a radially attached monoprop tank for the second and then you will require the mechjeb mod pack and it's AR202 case mesh as the 3rd. I love the little in joke in the title of the the texture file for it. "AR202_HD2_tex"

I know you may be set with the "stoc" MJ AR202 model, but just thought I'd throw this out...

There are two or three other, smaller (& IMHO, better looking) parts out there for MJ. The two best ones, have permissive licenses, so you could pacage *just* the models/textures for the parts... NOT the whole KSOS pack.

I always use the KSOS part to replace the stock MJ parts...

The KSOS one is the pic that MeCripp posted a few posts down... Its about 1/4 the size of the AR202, and better looking IMHO, especially for tiny rovers/sats.
The OP of this thread, is about the little Touch Pad part...Which is also much smaller than the AR202...

Just thought I'd let you know, in case you'ld consider adding these, or mebbe using one of these instead...

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue

Strange your post is in triplicate.

Thanks I will look. But you need not worry. The only mesh you see in the model is the first you put in. So the actual Mechjeb case doesn't show, although the green on light glow does. That is why we scale the secondary parts down, not because they will show but because the bounding box of the mesh would invisibly conflict with other things.

6 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

@Stone Blue

Strange your post is in triplicate.

Thanks I will look. But you need not worry. The only mesh you see in the model is the first you put in. So the actual Mechjeb case doesn't show, although the green on light glow does. That is why we scale the secondary parts down, not because they will show but because the bounding box of the mesh would invisibly conflict with other things.

Sadly all the links on the page no longer function. @Stone Blue But as I underatand it as long as it contains the same program as the ar202 you could take a structural part and give it the function, resize it to what you want and retexture it to how you would like it to look. Probably no lights but I think you could live that.

Yeah.. I had a network glitch happen just as I submitted my reply.. i immediatley edited it right after, tho

Check again on that thread... I just added a working link for the MJ TomTom part... I also have the KSOS one, as a seperate package, of just that part by itself.

14 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

But as I underatand it as long as it contains the same program as the ar202 you could take a structural part and give it the function, resize it to what you want and retexture it to how you would like it to look. Probably no lights but I think you could live that.

Yeah you *could* do that... but IMHO thats just *Ewwww...* :P

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue Ah, well it seems you can't just pop it in a micronode. though I didn't give it Electric Charge, Don't know if that matters. So I guess back to good old mesh stacking.

@Stone Blueok I have downloaded them. I do wish the TomTom didn't use an .mbm though, I can't open them to see or edit.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

@Stone Blue Ah, well it seems you can't just pop it in a micronode. though I didn't give it Electric Charge, Don't know if that matters. So I guess back to good old mesh stacking.

I dont know what you mean? vOv

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

@Stone Blueok I have downloaded them. I do wish the TomTom didn't use an .mbm though, I can't open them to see or edit.

Oh!.. for that you can use:
https://github.com/krupski/MBM_Utilities

Ok not strictly working under water but it relates to the Mechjeb Enabled chair, which now has a spotlight built in, haven't fully tested if the Kerbal blocks it beam a bit yet.

Seeing as @Spaceman.Spiff liked the Idea of having an EMU chair for space walks, I went ahead and built it. But I did this in a brand new clone directory of KSP That is stock except for the stuff I am working on, Kerbal Konstructs so I can launch in water and just enough Mechjeb to have the chair work. I found out the hard way that there were controls I hadn't set right.

So working EMU with no generators but a decent battery supply and 10 units of Monoprop. A Mechjeb AI and a work light. Added sensible level 5 port thruster packs that carry 5 units each of Monoprop. Based on the water EVA design. After a few disasters in space, remembered that just because I don't need pitch underwater doesn't mean I don't need it in space. Added a 3rd pack on the back of the chair only set to Pitch. Modified the stock satellite launcher by removing the battery and antenna, added a micro docking port then connected a reversed 1. moved up to work easy and Connected a finished chair to it. put all back in place, Adjusted the fairing so the Kerbal was comfortable, added the Kerbal. Remembered why I hate working in the VAB. (Has anyone made an easier interface as the stock VAB 1 sucks?) Forgot to put up the throttle on launch and wondered why the rocket fell down etc.

Finally got it worked out. Used the Chair Mechjeb to auto ascend and once in orbit, decoulpled and tested the chair. Success, all pilot functions, the thrusters worked sensibly, the pilot could follow target and all the rest. Carefully managed to get back to the probe. eventually managed to dock, but had the Acquire force too high and dislodged Valentina from her chair.(Seriously, seat belts anyone?) Finally remembered to switch to her but she couldn't see the probe. Finally remembered the probe had the chair an the chair had thrusters and higher functions. Used the mechjeb to set it on the right path till it considered itself close enough, manually used the target reticle and thrusters to get close and not too fast. Switched to her and managed to grab and enter the chair as it passed. Big smile from Valentina until she realised it was a one way trip. But I told her it's alright, we are in a sand box and I can go back in time. :)

8E773MU.png0xH67Lg.pngwLyyVao.pngzAzF2G4.pnguMvyQtp.png7IpvicS.pngjfgZYP3.pngWIiy83Q.pngDSpszZf.png5xiZ4En.png

@Hotel26 @Angel-125 @Tsar_bomba @Caerfinon @swjr-swis @Klapaucius @Dientus @Stone Blue @Astrion @Cavscout74 @BadOaks @JorgeCS @Weak Player @N_Danger  @JadeOfMaar@Hohmannson@Stormpilot@Martian Emigrant@Kerminator K-100

53 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Thanks for keeping me informed, but I would prefer not to be tagged in all messages.  I'll check the forum from time to time.  Thanks :-)

Edited by Klapaucius

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Yeah, just a heads up that readers can subscribe to the thread and the forum itself will let readers know of a new post, so you don't have to tag people. :)

No soup for you. :) No worries.

Edited by ColdJ

I will no longer tag names on updates. So unless you ask to be tagged in further updates or follow this thread, you will have to search to see if I accidentally made a joke about you. Not that I would. Atleast I don't think I would. Oh well guess I will have to read all posts to be sure. :P

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I will no longer tag names on updates. So unless you ask to be tagged in further updates or follow this thread, you will have to search to see if I accidentally made a joke about you. Not that I would. Atleast I don't think I would. Oh well guess I will have to read all posts to be sure. :P

Tag me please, I set the notification to email newsletter so I can see pictures. It doesn’t pop up when I go on the site

2 minutes ago, Tsar_bomba said:

Tag me please, I set the notification to email newsletter so I can see pictures. It doesn’t pop up when I go on the site

Shall do.

@Tsar_bomba I dont know if you like planes so this is a 1 time tag for that thread as I am updating it with some pics at the moment.

I had to lower the power usage on the Spotlight as it was draining the battery too fast.

We have sinkable, buoyancy adjusting Kerbals.

We have a buoyant, ballast adjusting powered chair with attached underwater thrusters, a work light and Mechjeb, so they can go anywhere at a blistering 0.7m/s.

Thanks to @Spaceman.Spiff suggesting, we have a space going EMU version of the Chair. Let me know if you want the specs.

We have ballast tanks for subs, that you can use to also sink boats or underwater bases etc that you build in the Spaceplane Hangar.

We have marine engines that like everything but the 4 port thrusters and Mechjeb only require stock meshes.

And we have micro docking ports that fit the chair and allow you to dock and become part of other craft.

The chair, unlike the stock 1 can have things attached to it and will automatically have a Kerbal in it when you launch from the hangar.

Is there anything I have missed or any suggestions for something?

Spoiler

Ki2fZXg.pnghsXdZEU.pngu148UwI.pngTNZA7W4.png0j5IJze.png

@Tsar_bomba

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.