ksp 1 and ksp 2

icantthink

Maybe. :/

If others can't afford KSP 2, or just simply don't want it, then it would be fair to keep updating KSP 1 ;)

And by the way, They are being developed by different developers, so squad might continue to update KSP 1, while Private Division and Star Theory develop KSP 2;p

I believe they will as well, but as Tsar points out, when it's no longer profitable they will stop. I am taking a pure guess here... Mmmm.. looking at my magic 8 ball... 3 years after KSP 2 release it stops

2 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Maybe. :/

If others can't afford KSP 2, or just simply don't want it, then it would be fair to keep updating KSP 1 ;)

And by the way, They are being developed by different developers, so squad might continue to update KSP 1, while Private Division and Star Theory develop KSP 2;p

Intercept Games. Not Star Theory.

I don’t think they’ll need to as KSP2 will be played by 90% of players in the end I reckon (eventually, depends on price, machine specs to play etc).

The other 10% will continue playing KSP1 but an older version like 1.3 that doesn’t need updates/there’ll be a cult community that continues it.

Eventually as modern machines come out, it won’t play anymore and will be resigned to history, a mere relic of another time ;.;

On 4/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, FruitGoose said:

Eventually as modern machines come out, it won’t play anymore and will be resigned to history, a mere relic of another time ;.;

Nope. Emulators will keep the torch lit. I'm playing Directd3D games on my MacOS thanks to Wine. :)

Hell, I'm playing MS-DOS games era thanks to DOSBox! :D

On 4/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, Ben J. Kerman said:

That's so depressing. ;.;

Don't be. The retro-gaming community is way bigger than you think, and these guys go to the extra mile to keep things running thigh.

Some games get way better once the retro-gaming community take over. ;)

jgKEkEK.png

On 4/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, icantthink said:

will ksp 1 still get updated when ksp 2 comes out?

I hope not. Every new update introduces new bugs, some terrible, that usually are never fixed. And since some of these bugs break add'ons we use, the net result is negative.

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging

18 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I hope not. Every new update introduces new bugs, some terrible, that usually are never fixed.

Yeah. Especially if I need to update my mods. What if the modmaker doesn't make newer versions, or if I end up messing the mod up when I try to update it

(We all know what happens when you mess with stuff - Thanks for helping me with that, @Lisias!!) 

Although, sometimes new updates are nice. Before KSP 1.11 (I think it was that version, maybe an earlier one), I really wished that the lights in the game looked like the color of the light they actually produced, and not always white, and that a light could be lit up without actually emitting light, if that makes sense (for plane lights, or orange safety beacons - Whatever they are called. I sometimes just call them "orange lights"  - on cranes and forklifts)

27 minutes ago, Lisias said:
18 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Nope. Emulators will keep the torch lit.

Yay!!!!:valhappy:

4 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Yeah. Especially if I need to update my mods. What if the modmaker doesn't make newer versions, or if I end up messing the mod up when I try to update it

Ideally, when people license the add'ons on a OSI approved license (OSI aims to be a kind if ISO for open source licenses - I wonder if they intended a pun with the name), anyone can took the code and keep it alive.

Problem happens when the add'on is licensed under anything else. Most Open Source developers avoid touching them, not to mention some gotchas that you need to be aware when trying to "adopt" such add'ons.

About Add'Ons being messed up, sometimes it's unavoidable. On the past, when they released KSP 1.4.4, some very used add'ons broke because they changed a thingy called PQS (a code that renders terrains). The new PQS aimed to optimise things by simplifying the terrain based on the distance of the camera - too far terrains would be too tiny to be rendered at full detail, so why not reduce the details to be rendered at all?

But that change broke all add'ons that was made relying on the old PQS system.

So, sometimes, breaking things is unavoidable. Things only get nasty when things are broken by no technical reason.

13 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

(We all know what happens when you mess with stuff - Thanks for helping me with that, @Lisias!!) 

Welcome! About your Kerbal-X crane, I will try to play with it on the WeekEnd. On working days is hard to find time (and most of the free time is being eating by KSP-Recall... :( )

14 minutes ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Although, sometimes new updates are nice. Before KSP 1.11 (I think it was that version, maybe an earlier one), I really wished that the lights in the game looked like the color of the light they actually produced, and not always white, and that a light could be lit up without actually emitting light, if that makes sense (for plane lights, or orange safety beacons - Whatever they are called. I sometimes just call them "orange lights"  - on cranes and forklifts)

Do you know Kerbal Electric?

Spoiler

g9VKwEJ.gif

This is one add'on I miss on newer KSP. Way more options to play than current stock.

46 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I hope not. Every new update introduces new bugs, some terrible, that usually are never fixed. And since some of these bugs break add'ons we use, the net result is negative.

I disagree with this.    While your points are valid, there's no reason not to update the game.  If a bug has been introduced that really messes up the game or mods, there's nothing stopping you from not updating and sticking with your current mod set.  Nobody is forcing the updates on you.   While I do play the current version, I also still enjoy my 1.3.1 game with that modset. 

Keeping the game updated means player still get new stuff.   There's no difference between updating and finding a game breaking bug forcing you to revert your version, and not updating at all.   So why not update the game so we can potentially have new features?

Updating keeps the devs employed too.  I'm all for that. 

The only ones that should be opposed to updating the game are the bean counters at the studio.   I don't blame them either.  It's a commercial product.  But until those people put their foot down, I see zero reason as a player to not want updates.   

7 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I disagree with this.    While your points are valid, there's no reason not to update the game.  If a bug has been introduced that really messes up the game or mods, there's nothing stopping you from not updating and sticking with your current mod set.  Nobody is forcing the updates on you.   While I do play the current version, I also still enjoy my 1.3.1 game with that modset. 

I would agree with you if the new updates would not AT LEAST be breaking the core business of the game.

On a vanilla stock game, [nope, I misread the report. On a vanilla game you are being over-refunded, the under-refunding happens on modded games] you can't play a Career game safely anymore on 1.11.x - there's a nasty bug where you are not refunded on recovery for some parts, and on more complex crafts, you would be losing hundreds of thousands of Funds on recovering the craft.

This is the game's Score System, dude. They just messed up the game's core business.

The RCS Block v2 on the KSP 1.11.1 release was something else too, it was not only a cosmetic problem, the RCS was really thrusting on the wrong direction! And, again, on a Stock vanilla game.

Keeping the game updated means player still get new stuff.   There's no difference between updating and finding a game breaking bug forcing you to revert your version, and not updating at all.   So why not update the game so we can potentially have new features?

Because you don't want to lose all the stuff you have working now? :)

I heard of people losing savegames by updating from 1.11.0 to 1.11.1 (if memory servers well).

I'm not complaining about new features, they are nice, of course. But not so nice that would worth losing my savegames on a minor update in the hope of getting some really nasty bugs fixed (as the refunding problem I mentioned above).

KSP is a long term gaming platform - you will take months in order to complete a Career game. Losing a Career is a pretty nasty blow to the player.

Updating keeps the devs employed too.  I'm all for that. 

Me too. Being the reason I think they should stop updating new features to the game and start to create new content for it, and then sell the new content. I'm all for DLCs, I was buying every one of them even by not using them most of the time. Because I KNOW developers need money to keep the business running, but I fail to understand how to keep a Company afloat by breaking core functionalities of the game on free updates instead of producing quality content to be sold.

The only ones that should be opposed to updating the game are the bean counters at the studio.   I don't blame them either.  It's a commercial product.  But until those people put their foot down, I see zero reason as a player to not want updates.   

Someone has to pay the bills. I completely understand them too, as I also have a Company to keep afloat. Sometimes the cash flow just don't allow us to do things the right way, so we do it as we can, and then fix them next month when the cash flow normalizes.

And this appears to be the problem now: or the cash flow is not going back, or it was not being used to fix things that needed to go broken trough the door last month.

So, being completely honest, I don't want more updates. I want content. The updates are breaking too much important things, and new content will give us more things to do and to brag about on "What you did on KSP today". :)

Edited by Lisias
fixed a statement. look for [ ] in italics.

The thread reminds me of the known (they say - real) story about a boy who was collecting only the works of already deceased composers.

Parents had shown him to doctor, being sure that he is crazy on the topic of death.

But doctor investigated this and realized, that actually the boy just couldn't stand incomplete collections, so he was collecting the music collections which would definitely be not updated, causing his discomfort.

Only when a game has been stopped being upgraded, you can be calm and sure that your perfectly assembled collection of mods won't make you mad again.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Only when a game has been stopped being upgraded, you can be calm and sure that your perfectly assembled collection of mods won't make you mad again.

...Assuming of course that the mods in question are also bug free and never get updated...

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

...Assuming of course that the mods in question are also bug free and never get updated...

When the platform has finished changing, no API changes can disturb the modders anymore.

Edited by kerbiloid

12 hours ago, pandaman said:

Most add'ons have glitches, as they are maintained mostly by non professionals on the field on their free time.

And yet, as serious bugs are reported, almost all of them do something about to get things tight in a matter of days, or even hours - not bad for a bunch of amateurs burning leisure or rest time.

I wish some professionals on the field could do the same. ;)

14 hours ago, Tsar_bomba said:

They should not add any real game changing updates, but smaller ones like bug fixes and new parts would be cool. I think the newest update really scared a few people with the amount of bugs added.

A lot of people, if Steam serves for reference.

Edited by Lisias
brute force post merging,

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

They have said that their plan is to continue to develop both games. 

They had said this when the KSP-2 release was planned on spring of 2020.

Three years are a lot of time for plans and prices to change.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:55 PM, FruitGoose said:

Huh. You don't say.

<blinks, staring blankly at the icons for Homeworld:CataclysmMachines, C64 Forever, and Antiriad prominently at the center top of my desktop>

36 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

They had said this when the KSP-2 release was planned on spring of 2020.

Three years are a lot of time for plans and prices to change.

It’s not been 3 years... right? It’s only 2021 right? 

On 4/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, FruitGoose said:

I don’t think they’ll need to as KSP2 will be played by 90% of players in the end I reckon (eventually, depends on price, machine specs to play etc).

The other 10% will continue playing KSP1 but an older version like 1.3 that doesn’t need updates/there’ll be a cult community that continues it.

*laughes in emulator*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.