Why are there so many harvester options?

I've not used the drill much.  When I link it to an action group, there are a plethora of options.  

Why are there three different options: comet harvester, asteroid harvester and surface harvester?  Isn't doing the same action on all three?  And how is that different from deploying the drill?

There are two steps in activating a drill. First you deploy, then you harvest. And it has been pointed out to the devs that those "harvest" options are redundant -- because it is indeed the same action on all three, but it's not considered an important issue. It's not like you're short on action groups these days, though. So one action group performs the deploy toggle, and another one toggles all the "harvest" options.

2 minutes ago, bewing said:

There are two steps in activating a drill. First you deploy, then you harvest. And it has been pointed out to the devs that those "harvest" options are redundant -- because it is indeed the same action on all three, but it's not considered an important issue. It's not like you're short on action groups these days, though. So one action group performs the deploy toggle, and another one toggles all the "harvest" options.

Thank you. That clarifies it.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, but in 1.11.2, when you bind a key to the single (ordinary) Harvest option shown, it fails at run-time because it's bound to the ordinary harvest and not the asteroid harvest.

(In the ModuleResourceHarvester, this action is "ToggleResourceConverterAction".)

I'm presently looking for a spelling for a CFE modification to fix this post hoc.  If I find it, I'll report it here.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.