Space Shuttle RTLS Abort

Wizard Kerbal

I'm flying shuttles to my Space Station, finishing it up. This is the second launch, the first one went smoothly- for a shuttle.

I lost control, so I reloaded a quick save. Upon loading, one of the SRBs came off. I ditched the other one, then went to reload, but remembered a Scott Manley video I saw a while ago. I paused, went through the steps in my head, and unpaused.

I pitched the shuttle to between radial out and retrograde. At 50 km, I flipped it over. After a bit more burning, I lost control when the external tank ran out.  I ditched it, then used the RCS to regain control. After regaining control, I pointed my nose in the direction of the runway and began my OMS burn. After it, upon atmospheric entry, I realized. Oh! I still have a 42-ton payload! I should get rid of that! I flipped upside-down, opened the cargo bay, and dropped my orange tank. I closed the bay, activated control surfaces, and did a standard shuttle re-entry. Pitch 40 degrees up, when the flames are gone, act like a plane. And I made my way towards the runway, touching down at 70 m/s, deploying the chute, and letting it slow me down.

"Now, where's the whiskey?"

Edited by Wizard Kerbal
The way I know it's a standard re-entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb4prVsXkZU

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.