Career play through progression?

Rylant

Hey all. So I will admit I played the game years ago for a bit. I played in career mode and got to Duna, landed, and returned. I stopped playing them as I found it really difficult from there. 

A couple of things. I found docking really hard.  I ended up using a docking indicator mod? Which I found made it easier. I could never seem to be efficient with delta v and there always seemed to be lots of waste, which of course stranded me several times. I finished the tech tree just by getting to Duna. I never really used SSTOs as I found landing tough. I never used engineers really, just pilots and scientists.  I never used satellites or probes as I never saw much of a use for them? I never made a space station or station on a moon or planet. 

So I know there is a ton is good info out there. The problem is, there is a ton of info out there... Is there a good progression for career checklist or there? Like, 1 - launch ship. 2-sub orbit. 3-orbit Kerbin... 16-send probe to Ike... 23-set up Munar base... 38-Go to Jool...

Also, any must material to read or YouTube to watch to give me an idea of where I should be heading? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Rylant

Welcome to the forum @Rylant, Jool and her moons are a great destination after Duna. I usually do it with a refuelling lander rig and a mothership (bring an engineer - they make ISRU more efficient). The Jool system is also great for learning about gravity assists.

All you really need is a lander that can land, refuel and get back to orbit from Tylo. If your design has the lander/refueller docked at the bottom you can refuel the whole assembly on the low gravity outer moons. :cool:

1 hour ago, Max von Kerman said:

I  just cant get my ships within 100 m of each other (in space) but  can do the apollo style 180 degree turn but can't rendezvous after the mun landing.

The real trick to docking is setting up the right orbital conditions. If you're getting to 100m you are really close to doing it, ignore the orbital information and concentrate on the navball, set the target (select the docking port on the target - at first it is best to use docking ports that are inline of both vessels), make sure the navball is in target mode and use RCS to slowly approach (I use about 1m per second). You just need to keep the target :targetpro: and prograde :prograde: (or retro - depending on if you are in a lower or higher orbit) lined up together on the navball. You need to make adjustments with RCS as you approach to keep lined up (as you get closer you will need less and less RCS and you can switch to 'fine' RCS by pressing caps lock. When you are really close slow down to .3m/s, keep it all lined up and you should dock.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, JB182 said:

Welcome aboard @Rylant! great job at landing on Duna! i not yet reach Duna, Minmus, and the Mun. tried Mun landing but the result is crash.

@JB182 

here this is amazing, and for the mun try having a twr of 10 ish and start burning at 5-6 km with the altitude thingy set to green mode.