Seeing through the Clouds on EVE

Ok - I am looking at surface activities on EVE.

I am using the latest Build on KSP, Breaking Ground, and Making History. I am running with the MechJe, Scatter, and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements mods.

I am using only Stock Parts and I really do not want top start adding modded parts.

This leave me with an issue. I cannot see the ground to pick a landing site. Is there a way with resource scanners to be able to map the surface so I can avoind landing in the oceans? Can the Kerbnet help with that. Also is it possible  to use MechJeb to pick a landing point on Eve and help  with landing using parachute descent?

Thanks in advance.

KerbNet allows you to see the surface of the planet below you, including biomes and I think altitude. You can set waypoints from the KerbNet interface. Most probe cores have KerbNet functionality. If you already have a satellite orbiting a planet somewhere, I would suggest switching to it and trying out KerbNet just to see how it works. It's found in the probe core's Part Action Window.

Good luck on Eve!

Or just temporarily turn the clouds off on E.V.E so you can see, pick a spot and turn them back on. They aren’t stock so it’s not cheating :cool:

A less cheaty way is to send a probe down to the surface with the ability to traverse water (do jet engines work on Eve I can never remember?) so if it lands in the water it can sail to land (you could also land multiple probes at different points instead, 1 has to hit dry land unless you’re really unlucky). Then use that probe as a target.

MJ’s auto land I’ve found to be hit n miss. Trajectories is better.

10 minutes ago, FruitGoose said:

do jet engines work on Eve I can never remember?

Nope; no oxygen in the atmosphere.  Props do, though, which are OK as the OP has Breaking Ground.

Or I once had an ion-powered semi-glider Eve probe (although that was so long ago I can't remember which atmosphere model it was :)). 

A more cheaty way is to use the alt-f12 menu to set visible biomes. It has the added benefit that you see the night side too.

personally i don't feel that specific use is cheating, because it doesn't give you anything that you couldn't get from kerbnet and some bookkeeping, nor does it prevent risk or allow you to do anything you couldn't do without it. It merely saves some time and effort. but everyone decides where the line is drawn in regard to cheating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.