[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] Comfortable Landing ReUpholstered - Out of Beta

linuxgurugamer

Originally created by  @Icecovery, was maintained by  @flywlyx, he hasn't updated it for a year., thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/179556-17x-comfortable-landing-continued-v161/.  As usual, if @flywlyx returns, I'd be happy to return control to  him.

I was asked to adopt this, and since he didn't respond to my attempt contact, I've decided to adopt it.  See below for my changes

ynQjKEY.png

Comfortable Landing can keep your Kerbals safe and feel comfortable even in the last minute of a mission!

It adds retro rockets, buoys, and airbags into stock command pod and command pod of other mod.

And they will automatically deploy when certain conditions are met.

Full Pictures Album + GIF

zazaBlW.png1zdNnIg.png

9dcXO4P.pngHm9O8P8.png

Thanks @Kottabos made this great video for Comfortable Landing!

s

Features:

Automatic deploy buoys or airbags, start landing burns.

Supported mod except for stock (list below) and more mod support coming soon.

Future features:

More Mod supports.

How to use:

• To activate Comfortable Landing, press the Activate Pre-Landing Mode button before landing or splashing.
  • The retro rockets will start at 5 meters from the ground/water.
  • The buoys will be inflated after splashing and got bigger buoyancy.
  • The airbags will be inflated at 500 meters from the ground/water, and it will deflate after landing (but not splashing). The crash tolerance of part will increases when it was inflated.
  • Comfortable Landing will stop work after landing or splashing.

Add retro rockets/buoys/airbags to your mod:

Github Wiki Page: click here

Supported mod:

Standalone parts:

• Universal Airbag Module
  • Universal Buoy Module 
  • Universal Retro Rocket Module
  • Universal Landing Skirt Module
  • (Support rescale by TweakScale)
  • If you haven't installed TweakScale, will provide 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m and 3.75m size.

Author:

• Models, Textures, Import, Configs: Icecovery
  • Plugins, Debug: Icecovery, 01010101lzy

Dependencies

Recommend

Delete GameData\ComfortableLanding\Configs folder if you want to remove integrated functions.

Availability

Changes by Linuxgurugamer

• Fixed Bluedog Mercury and Gemini capsules (BDB 1.7.2)
  • Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
  • Added configs for mk1pod_v2
  • Fixed bug where it could be activated while landed or splashed
  • Added message when trying to active while landed or splashed
  • Added config for ReStock & fixed an offset issue in contributed patch
  • Added Namespace to all code files
  • Refactored code to move all module-specific code into that module, leaving all common code in CL_ControlTool_Internal.  
  • The three PartModules now inherit from CL_ControlTool_Internal
  • Added dummy CL_ControlTool to allow compatibility for other parts
  • Removed the CL_ControlTool module from all configs
  • Made air bag default over a short period of time rather than instantaneous
Edited by linuxgurugamer

New beta,  2.0.1, BETA-3

• Added automatic activation under following condition:
    • Activated after stage event and nothing attached to bottom node
  • Added settings page to disable automatic activation
  • Added KSPEvent to disable/enable automatic activation
  • Added KSPAction to toggle the automatic activation

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Comfortable-Landing/releases/tag/2.0.1

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I've made a few tests with this and RationalBuoyancy.  This works well with it.

Currently it changes the buoyancy of the part by from 1 to 1.2, when inflated.  This may change to being a multipler, since other mods may change the buoyancy value  The next release I put out will have a debug setting (in the settings page) which will allow you to change the buoyancy adjustment on the fly.

@JadeOfMaardo you have a dll which monitors and adjusts the values on the fly?

Edit: I see you don't.

I did notice one thing, the mk1-3 pod and the Mk2 cockpit both seemed to have a buoyancy of 1.0 (in 1.10.1), seemed rather high when a tank has 0.8

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@JadeOfMaardo you have a dll which monitors and adjusts the values on the fly?

Edit: I see you don't.

I did notice one thing, the mk1-3 pod and the Mk2 cockpit both seemed to have a buoyancy of 1.0 (in 1.10.1), seemed rather high when a tank has 0.8

I'm no plugin writer so no dll will come from me. :D

Weird. Those things should have 0.7 buoyancy so I'm not sure where the extra 0.3+ is coming from. Also surprising is that the pod has a lift surface module (which counts for more buoyancy) while the Mk2 drone core does not have it.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm no plugin writer so no dll will come from me. :D

That's what I do :-)

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Weird. Those things should have 0.7 buoyancy so I'm not sure where the extra 0.3+ is coming from. Also surprising is that the pod has a lift surface module (which counts for more buoyancy) while the Mk2 drone core does not have it.

Have you replicated it, or do you need log files from me?

Edit: I'll post in the correct thread with the lgos

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That's what I do :-)

Heh. :)

Have you replicated it, or do you need log files from me?

I don't need logs. I saw for myself in-game a while ago. There must be some math somewhere that I put on purpose but can't distinguish anymore.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I don't need logs. I saw for myself in-game a while ago. There must be some math somewhere that I put on purpose but can't distinguish anymore.

so why not put a hard patch in for those two to set it to 0.7 until you figure it out?

I may take a look at your stuff to see if I can figure it out.  Will let you know if anything pops out

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, out of beta

• Change buoyancy change from fixed value to a multiplicative, to support RationalBuoyancy and other mods which might change the buoyancy
  • Moved all bouyancy variables and changes into common function in parent class
  • Added more public fields for configurations:
    • For all modules
      • COBAfterInflated 
      • COMAfterInflated
      • changeCOM
      • buoyancyAfterInflated (1 = no change)
    • Airbag
      • inflateAltitude
      • crashToleranceAfterInflated
  • Fixed size and position for stock Mk2Pod

Note:  This is using the same Spacedock entry as the original, so no need to change anything in the .version file

Finally getting around to trying this out!

I'm dropping a mk1-0(v2/restock) pod from various heights using vessel mover.

I'm using Rational Hydrodynamics, so the default buoyancy of this pod is listed as 0.7.

After some weird conflicts/confusion over attaching an *additional* buoy component to the mk1-0 pod (oops! they have built-in extendable airbag thingies) I'm finally getting the hang of it. I've attached a ring of universal bags to the top of the pod under the parachute and set them both to auto. The bags inflate fine ahead of landing/impact, but then the pod immediately drops down into the water--seemingly since both floats disappear/deflate instantly upon landing. If any overall buoyancy did increase, it immediately goes away.

I threw a couple of the SXT airbags on for another set of tests (even uninflated, those provide a bit of 'lift'--I think they also use the firespitter buoyancy like the seaplane floats) and they allowed the capsule to bob along on the surface hatch-up as would be desired.

I'm guessing CL parts were originally largely-cosmetic features for visual realism since pods float like mad in stock, but it would be cool to *need* them for Rational Hydro users that want to perform any water landings/recoveries.

Edited by Beetlecat

So I'm really excited about this mod, I've been using SRMs in... Creative ways to give my soyuz landing rockets. All this stuff is fantastic, but I have found that the retro module is... Buggy. Specifically, when it fires, it ends up with a constantly rising isp, so my capsule ends up careening into the air until I deactivate landing mode, or jettison the retro module altogether. Anyone else have this kind of issue?

• 2 months later...

TGXpvQU.jpg

Could this mod be causing this? BDB Mercury showing two Lights On buttons and only one works. The button for deploying/retracting the periscope is gone and the periscope is permanently deployed. It can not be retracted. Game version 1.11.2. Also, I thought your mod did not have any features for the Mercury spacecraft, since it already had the deployable landing bag. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When the 1.25 retro rockets activate, the vessel begins to float up even after the rockets have stopped firing.

Here is my Log.

When I press "Deactivate pre landing", gravity returns to the vessel.  And of course when I jettison the rockets, gravity returns.

4PTL613.png

And to add on to this, the Tantares Compatibility is very outdated. 

Tantares crew pods are:

tantares_crew_s1_1   -Soyuz
virgo_crew_s1_1  -Moon Soyuz
alnair_crew_s1p5_1   -VA Capsule
alnair_crew_s2_1   -VA crew expansion part

Edited by MashAndBangers

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, MashAndBangers said:

When the 1.25 retro rockets activate, the vessel begins to float up even after the rockets have stopped firing.

Here is my Log.

When I press "Deactivate pre landing", gravity returns to the vessel.  And of course when I jettison the rockets, gravity returns.

4PTL613.png

Tantares crew pods are:

I was having this issue back in 1.11 as well, and it's definitely still an issue now. Quite unfortunate, I've been using the lepus rockets to simulate this and having one automatic module that doesn't require me to time the landing firing would be so much nicer.

16 hours ago, Hachiro said:

I was having this issue back in 1.11 as well, and it's definitely still an issue now. Quite unfortunate, I've been using the lepus rockets to simulate this and having one automatic module that doesn't require me to time the landing firing would be so much nicer.

If you could provide me with a craft file, it would be helpful in debugging.

Also, to all, if you have a problem and  you need my help, you need to ping me using @linuxgurugamer  otherwise I won't see it.

16 hours ago, Hachiro said:

Tantares crew pods are:

I'll work on this when I work on the retro rockets

If you could provide me with a craft file, it would be helpful in debugging.

Also, to all, if you have a problem and  you need my help, you need to ping me using @linuxgurugamer  otherwise I won't see it.

I'll work on this when I work on the retro rockets

For sure! I've got a pad abort type craft set up to test this, it has the issue presenting. https://github.com/Koshehage/KSPCrafts Both versions are tested to show the issue, tweakscale and non.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.