Protractor - Rendezvous Plugin - Under New Management!

mrenigma03

I've posted this before, but with the new update, this mod is even more awesome. The ability to see how close you are from hitting a planet's SOI is very useful.

Not sure how possible it is, but a suggestion for a future big update would be to make the protractor tell you in which direction on navball you should burn to hit a planet's SOI when you are close, but that is not needed now since it's just a few trial and error turns.

Keep up the good work

I have been using your mod as well as AdamKSP to measure Phase Angles for flights to other planets. I noticed that for some reason, the two plugins give different angles for certain planets.

anglediffe.png

While your pluginmakes it relatively easy to fine-tune the orbit to get a patched conic 'hit' on the target planet (at considerable fuel expense), I have noticed that more often than not I do NOT get a SOI change on my first try when I follow the angles from your plugin but I DO get a hit on the first try when I follow the angles from AdamKSP.

What is the reason for this discrepancy?

I have been using your mod as well as AdamKSP to measure Phase Angles for flights to other planets. I noticed that for some reason, the two plugins give different angles for certain planets.

anglediffe.png

While your pluginmakes it relatively easy to fine-tune the orbit to get a patched conic 'hit' on the target planet (at considerable fuel expense), I have noticed that more often than not I do NOT get a SOI change on my first try when I follow the angles from your plugin but I DO get a hit on the first try when I follow the angles from AdamKSP.

What is the reason for this discrepancy?

We each have a different method of calculating the angles. Different assumptions are made to simplify the quirks posed by inclination and eccentricity. I'm working on a version that takes eccentricity into account, and once I get that done the discrepancy will be irrelevant.

I have a couple of feature suggestions after extensive (mis)use that would help make it more idiot proof.

First up is an indicator of what direction you should thrust for a mid-course correction. Currently I'm just pushing all the buttons on the smart a.s.s. and thrusting a bit until the closest approach decreases.

Second is a warning if the path of a rendezvous is likely to intercept the SoI of another body. Like the time I smashed into the Mun at top speed after finally making a near-passable burn towards Eve.

New update!

Changes in 2.3.0

- moon -> planet transfer

- show/hide moons or planets as a group

- click on name of a body to hide all other bodies, click again to restore

- window automatically resizes to reflect number of bodies in list

- if orbiting a moon, Ren. θ to planets shown after accounting for transfer orbit to host planet

- distances now calculated to surface, not to core of target

- collapsed ren θ and θ into one column - burn when this is 0

- collapsed current Ψ and eject Ψ into one column - burn when this is 0

- updated manual to reflect changes

- closest approach line resets at SOI change

Can someone tell me where to find the manual or the instructions given with this? I might be blind but I can't see it here or on the download website.

Click the "?" mark on the window.

For some reason, I can't get this to work. I've downloaded the most recent version of the protractor, and unzipped the folders into my KSP folder. However, the parts in the VAB are grayed out, and a note in the description says they're not available in my version of KSP.

I've deleted my entire KSP folder, re-downloaded, and tried again with the same result.

I feel a bit like a dope, but I've run out of ideas.

For some reason, I can't get this to work. I've downloaded the most recent version of the protractor, and unzipped the folders into my KSP folder. However, the parts in the VAB are grayed out, and a note in the description says they're not available in my version of KSP.

I've deleted my entire KSP folder, re-downloaded, and tried again with the same result.

I feel a bit like a dope, but I've run out of ideas.

Check the plugin folder, do you see protractor.dll (and no planphaseang.dll)? I'll be on #KSPOfficial (Esper) for a little while longer if you want to drop in.

Can I just say that the closest approach column is probably the most useful thing ever for getting to other planets? Thank you so much for this excellent mod! I'm aiming to have a satellite orbiting every body by the end of the week. :P

Can I just say that the closest approach column is probably the most useful thing ever for getting to other planets? Thank you so much for this excellent mod! I'm aiming to have a satellite orbiting every body by the end of the week. :P

Thanks! I'm actually fine tuning the closest approach. Right now it has some odd behaviors from time to time, and can be a touch inaccurate. I hope to have an update done by the end of the weekend, along with a brand new line look.

Been following and using this mod for quite a while, and I'm absolutely in love with how thorough you've been taking care of everything. You made it give us only the info we really need, greatly decreasing the headaches I previously got from trying to match up the various numbers and angles I needed to launch. And the compensation for thrust on ejection angles? Godsend. That was the ONE thing that truly made interplanetary maneuvers impossible for me, but you took care of that right off.

Good work!

Check the plugin folder, do you see protractor.dll (and no planphaseang.dll)? I'll be on #KSPOfficial (Esper) for a little while longer if you want to drop in.

Yep, Protractor.dll and Protractor.cs are the only two files in that folder. They show up in the VAB, but they're disabled.

Changes in 2.3.1

- overhauled closest approach to fix errors caused by how the game handles SOI switches

- approach line looks a lot nicer - has similar appearance to orbit lines on the map

Onion920, can you get on IRC so maybe we can fix this? Make sure you're using the latest mod version too.

Edited by mrenigma03

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.