Kerbal unable to exit the hatch that it once exited from before.

I made an airlock module using a mk1 crew cabin and a payload fairing. When I clicked on the hatch and selected 'EVA', the kerbal within exited.

screenshot74screenshot75

Afterwards the kerbal boarded the cabin. When I tried to get him out the second time, the following happened.

screenshot76

"Hatch is obstructed, can't exit."

But he exited just a few minutes ago... Is this a bug? Or is this how hatches behave around fairings?

I am using KSP 1.11.2

Edited by Selective Genius

You mentioned that you clicked on the hatch to EVA the first time and it worked. Is that the way you did it the second time, or did you click the EVA button in the portrait picture?

I've noticed that the game often acts like the Kerbal can't EVA if you click from the portrait, but it still works when you click the part's hatch. I think this is the game being confused concerning parts that have two hatches if only one of them is blocked.

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

It’s a bug. If you right click on the pod and click “transfer crew” then select EVA it should work.

It is still showing 'Hatch Obstructed'. I also tried to move the kerbal to another crew cabin (hitchhiker can) and then back to the mk1 crew cabin, right clocked on it and selected transfer crew -> EVA, but the result is still very much the same.

2 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

It is still showing 'Hatch Obstructed'. I also tried to move the kerbal to another crew cabin (hitchhiker can) and then back to the mk1 crew cabin, right clocked on it and selected transfer crew -> EVA, but the result is still very much the same.

Hmm not sure then. Is there an option to "Clear Hatch Obstruction" on the right click menu? I'm sure I've seen that on some pods (might be Advanced Tweakable)?

EDIT: having actually read your OP properly now, it might be to do with the fairing. I know you can see the door but maybe the game thinks it's covered as it's detected the fairing isn't deployed (same way as you can't deploy parachutes or antennae inside fairings). Although you said he could exit before so maybe not?

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

Hmm not sure then. Is there an option to "Clear Hatch Obstruction" on the right click menu? I'm sure I've seen that on some pods (might be Advanced Tweakable)?

EDIT: having actually read your OP properly now, it might be to do with the fairing. I know you can see the door but maybe the game thinks it's covered as it's detected the fairing isn't deployed (same way as you can't deploy parachutes or antennae inside fairings). Although you said he could exit before so maybe not?

@Selective Genius I concur with @FruitGoose Meshes are made to look like differnt shapes due to the way they are texture wrapped, but in reality may slightly larger than they appear. Keep shifting the fairing very slightly in constuction and then testing it, and eventually you will find the sweetspot where it still looks reasonable but is no longer considered obstructed by the game reading it's bounding box as conflicting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.