Redesigned velocity indicator--have it change colors

I find when landing that it is often quite easy to over compensate and start ascending again. This is especially true if you are a beginner or are trying something challenging (like landing on Tylo).

While of course there is the altimeter, I find I often make a small thrust adjustment and it takes a while before I realize I am ascending again. The "speedometer" seems to suddenly jump from descending at 5 m/s to ascending at 3 m/s without me every seeing it get to zero. Something as simple as turning the numbers red for descent and blue for ascent, or even just putting a minus sign in front of the numbers would be useful.

How does that work if you're flying something like a dropship, where your control axis is horizontal to the planet instead of vertical? "Down" is relative to the craft, not the planet.

What you're experiencing is a case of your TWR being too high for a precision landing with the controls we have--It's a design and operations problem. Precision Mode [Caps Lock] can help by giving you finer throttle control, but you can also bind the thrust limiters on your engines to an axis [like H,N] to tweak them in-flight.

My favorite solution to this problem is a pair of overlapping spotlights facing the ground. The size of the lights on the ground, plus how fast the overlap changes, tells you everything you need to know about which way you're heading, and what altitude you're at.

Or something like a vertical speed indicator on a plane where you have a physical needle/pointer on a dial that can go below 0 as well as above. This would give a better indication of your descent rate as well.

Edit: totally forgot about the vs indicator at the top next to the altitude but it’s hard to read.

Edited by Guest
Self explanatory

13 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I find when landing that it is often quite easy to over compensate and start ascending again. This is especially true if you are a beginner or are trying something challenging (like landing on Tylo).

While of course there is the altimeter, I find I often make a small thrust adjustment and it takes a while before I realize I am ascending again. The "speedometer" seems to suddenly jump from descending at 5 m/s to ascending at 3 m/s without me every seeing it get to zero. Something as simple as turning the numbers red for descent and blue for ascent, or even just putting a minus sign in front of the numbers would be useful.

KSP should get a UI overhaul. KSP 2 is placing the critical UI components a lot closer together so your eyes won't have to dart around.

The idea was too good to pass up:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/201898-1112-vertikal-speed-indicator-a-simple-landing-aid-mod/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.