Show Off The Aircraft, Jet,Prop,Cargo,Passenger,Glider,Fighter etc That You Put Loads of Time Into Getting Just Right.

ColdJ

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I haven`t posted on this forum in a loooooong time... 

I never stopped messing around in KSP, here`s something that took a couple of days to tune just right. Don`t have a final name just yet, and the working name is silly, albeit accurate. 

It`s big, really big, and heavy. At 355 tons- around 280 tons of which are fuel- and a whopping 412 parts 

AFGJ81oDb2JGRRZ5oTanAdvXvB_f1Tl1T8anj_kE

AFGJ81rVoGfcp8uSuJFLo4Q0i9x5jto7kkM6kzqU

AFGJ81qhVhyz6CkFN3ZE_y5nzoWbiAJ6QkAL0jkW

AFGJ81oRplL_cFnnJhUI_G8eDz5xxXpjSa3QCqOl

Although my computers suffers mightily this plane flies very smoothly. It actually has several times more fuel than it can reasonably use, but hey, you can stay in the air as long as you like. 

Feedback?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, XJ9 Jenny said:

I made another plane similar to Bell's product, this time V-247

Hi. Whose parts pack are the transitioning engines from please?

Behold! The KMR C-6 series. Simple but well-optimized seaplane designs from Kerlington Model Rockets, Etc.. With low stall speeds and powerful 'Reaper' turboprops from Kerbal Standard (Airplane Plus), the 6S 'Krohpal' and her long-range brother, the 6SL 'Kropell' are perfect island-hopping specimens!

Spoiler

KMR C-6S 'Krohpal' flying over the Eastern Ocean
RzAKinT.png

KMR C-6SL 'Kropell' conducting bathymetry experiments in the Eastern Ocean7dS5i3v.png

Although they're fairly basic in design, I'm quite proud of the C-6 series. I've been using them in a moderately modded career save to conduct local surveys and ferry small flights between the KSC and Island Airfield. Until these, seaplanes have always eluded me in KSP. They wanted to tip over nose-first upon landing, or would refuse to build enough speed to take off if I did manage to land them. This design is quite stable in both the sea and air; the turboprops give it plenty of thrust to overcome the water's drag, and it's capable of staying level with no SAS and only minor trim. When stock trim is too finicky, AP+ Elevon 0s on the tail allow me to fine-adjust the pitch trim. cruises comfortably around 120m/s at 1800m and 2/3 throttle. All-in-all it's a great early-career plane (highest tech nodes are Aerodynamics/Landing). I'll gladly upload a craft file if anyone's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Kerbal Standard proudly presents the latest airframe to roll off the line- the JP-11!

es9urtp.png

Pictured: JP-11/S "Curio" returning to the KSC from a biome study, with a beautiful view of the sunset below.

The JP-11 is Kerbal Standard's first foray into jet-propelled airliners. It is powered by two J-31 Turbofans (J-33 Wheesleys downsized to 0.938m via tweakscale), has a top speed of 327m/s ASL, and cruises between 4-6km at 0.50-0.66 throttle. The angled nacelles ensure low torque at all altitudes and thrusts, and a suite of control surfaces afford the pilot fine attitude control in any situation (including physics warp!). Test pilots have testified that the plane is remarkably stable; even without stability assist, pilots can keep the J-11 level with only slight trim to counter a port roll. The large wings provide ample lift during takeoff, which comes in handy where prepared runways are lacking. A somewhat high stall speed of 130m/s can complicate landings for novice pilots; Kerbal Standard's test pilots recommend descending early and braking late. Due to issues that occurred during testing of KS's Mk1 Cockpit (a bug that causes an uncontrollable roll), the cockpit and avionics are built by C7's Aerospace Division.  Kerbal Standard offers three versions of the airframe for various tasks. The /S and /SL feature science packages with room for expansion, and the /SL includes space for two crew; the /P is a small airliner version with space for 6 passengers. The /S has a verified range of 1260km, but ranges of the /SL and /P have yet to be confirmed.

f0FbFlV.png

IlRDoIM.png

More deets:

Spoiler

Action Groups:
Lights- Navigation lights
Gear- All landing gear and landing gear lights, underwing illuminators on /S, /SL
Brakes- Brakes, braking flap (inner flap)
AG1- Toggle takeoff/landing flap, angle bound to U/D translation
AG2- Toggle trim, angle bound to F/B translation
AG3- Toggle reverse thrust

Mods used: Airplane Plus, Tweakscale, Material Science Pod Updated
Considering that it was built in a modded career save with edited tech levels and max parts, I won't post a craft file for this unless asked.

This plane was designed to complete distant survey or contracts+ science contracts, and its passenger counterpart for early, local KSRGAP contracts. Using either trim or Kramax Autopilot to kill roll, it cruises at 6000m at 2/3 throttle, using only 0.05u LF/S. Leaving vertical stabilization off with proper trim results in some gentle phugoid oscillations, which are fun to sit back and watch. I may just be bad at landing planes, but I find the high stall speed can complicate it sometimes. As mentioned above, best results have come from beginning descent early, maintaining ≈120m/s until over the runway, then pulling up while engaging the braking flap and reversing thrust at 10-20m so that your plane begins to mush downward. Landings can still be a little bouncy if you aren't careful, though.

NTbCt4U.png

Edited by Mister_Spaceman
formatting changes, grammar

• 2 weeks later...

screenshot51.png

Pictured: An R-22 outfitted for news broadcasting  prepares for a publicity flight at the Kerbal Launch Complex helipad.

Kerbal Standard is now accepting production contracts for their first rotary-wing aircraft, the R-22. A dig through an abandoned airfield in West Kerbin uncovered a curious paradigm of aircraft design that KS had never considered: combining the forces of thrust and lift! The contrarotating propellers cancel out each other’s torque. In addition, reaction wheel technology pioneered by Kerbin’s space program have been incorporated into the design. The result was an unparalleled stability that does not sacrifice maneuverability. KS are eager to expand upon this new platform, with several iterations intended to fill many more roles on the way.

screenshot55.png
Pictured: An R-22 flies over the R&D complex as it performs a test of its camera system.

Spoiler

Craft Info:

While I have built a few helicopters with the BG parts before, this was the first whose performance I was happy with. I was rusty when it came to helis, so after some refresher YT videos, I spent about an hour and a half tweaking the rotors. The helicopter is electrically driven, powered by a LF/O fuel cell array. Torque output is bound to the main  throttle, and blade deploy angle to F/B translation keys. Once the rotors have spun up to their full 350 RPM, a blade pitch of 5-6° will produce enough lift to take off. Most of my craft are stable without using reaction wheels, but this is an exception. With nerfed reaction wheels, it may not be able to turn on a dime, but perhaps a quarter. While quite small, the contrarotating props seem to generate a lot of power. The R-22 has ample thrust at a 6° blade pitch; I suspect it could lift small cargos with relative ease. I could see Search and Rescue or debris recovery versions of the heli rolling out of Kerbal Standard’s hangar in the near future. (Although hovering will be a new challenge.)

Other Notes:

In my headcanon, Kerbal technologies are rediscovered rather than invented. This is why some technologies such as glass cockpits and manned space capsules are available as early on as they are, as well as why Karbals progress so quickly. This is also why many of the space agency’s craft resemble weapons of war despite their mundane roles. Many of them had been weapons of war at some point. The R-22, for instance, was derived from a scout/reconnaissance helicopter. This version has been outfitted as a news helicopter. As such, it features an actuated spotlight and camera on the starboard wing, controlled with the left, right, up and down translation keys.

screenshot50.pngPictured: The R-22 as it buzzes the SPH tower during a publicity flight. Don’t mind the missing tail fin. Those test pilots…

Edited by Mister_Spaceman

• 1 month later...

Ah! A place to show off my 145-part F/A-18E Super Hornet that I poured at least eight hours of work into!

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

This is probably the fifth F/A-18 replica I've ever made, messing with designs and wings to get it just right. Eventually I got this, which is the best replica I've made. I even made it so that the wings can fold and even rotated the weapon mounts slightly outward, just like real F/A-18s.

img%5D

img%5D

Flying low above the water.

img%5D

"Echo One, Fox-3!" (Ignore the Kerbalism notification)

img%5D

"Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz the tower."

Spoiler

img%5D

img%5D

Oops. Uh... any landing you can swim away from...

• 2 months later...

I've been having issues with this big plane I made, it tends to spontaneously explode in the middle of important business matters and it's not great for its look :D

For the relevant bit, skip to 2:50.

I'm afraid I'll have to rebuild it from scratch because extra struts and slight tweaks haven't fixed it.

EDIT: I just realized this is the third time I post this same plane, across a time span of 18 months. In my defense I've hardly played the game and the plane has been a new version each time :D

Edited by Piatzin

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.