What is your favorite old version of KSP?

1.3.1 was good (probably my pick as well) but actually I like some of the newer additions like the navball changes, EVA construction etc & some of the under the hood changes like layered animations so I wouldn’t switch back as I’d miss those.

• 1 month later...

Probably around .24  You had most of the modding ability that you have right now.  On the flip side you had wobbly rockets,  watching disasterous launches was just as much fun as making orbit.  Once they fix the joint issue, they accidentally took some fun out of the game.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mazlem said:

Mine was around .23 to .25.  I forget how well the game performed overall but I had fun making stations and bases an don't recall any big annoyances. 

Same for me. I bought the game at .23, but .23.5 came out soon after. I loved the added challenge of career mode over science mode that was introduced in .24, and .25 improved a bit on that.

But I've always thought the game improved with each update, and I'm sure the release of 1.12 will be no exception. 

21 hours ago, sumrex said:

Probably around .24  You had most of the modding ability that you have right now.  On the flip side you had wobbly rockets,  watching disasterous launches was just as much fun as making orbit.  Once they fix the joint issue, they accidentally took some fun out of the game.

14 hours ago, Gamera Obscura said:

Same for me. I bought the game at .23, but .23.5 came out soon after. I loved the added challenge of career mode over science mode that was introduced in .24, and .25 improved a bit on that.

But I've always thought the game improved with each update, and I'm sure the release of 1.12 will be no exception. 

On 4/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Mazlem said:

Mine was around .23 to .25.  I forget how well the game performed overall but I had fun making stations and bases an don't recall any big annoyances. 

Going back to the beginning with those. Old times.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, FruitGoose said:

1.3.1 was good (probably my pick as well) but actually I like some of the newer additions like the navball changes, EVA construction etc & some of the under the hood changes like layered animations so I wouldn’t switch back as I’d miss those.

Yeah I agree with you there.  1.3.1 is probably my favorite old version, but some of the changes are really nice.   I do still have some 1.3.1 installs, but haven't used them in quite a while.  Pre-1.8 IIRC, the game ran noticeably smoother on 1.3.1 vs newer versions. 

I forget the exact number, but it was the last of the 0.9s (edit: there was only 0.9) before 1.0 changed the aero model and made me throw away all my old designs.

Mostly it was the version where KSP was still all about (my personal) discovery, where in later times it was me refining the mods I chose to play with and learning to systematise my approach to all things in order to have high success rates and minimal "wasted" time while exploring various solar systems. Everything I did was new, so it all kind of stuck in my head :)

Had a very intricate and involved mod set going, such that even as my first ever proper career, it still made me take life support supplies into account. Not sure how much evidence of it remains, but I definitely remember leaving a food can in Duna orbit to pick up on the way back, and later thinking about coming home from Eve orbit (absolutely no landing!) and stopping by GIlly on the way because I had way bigger fuel margins than I'd expected. I think I also did a lot of probe exploration - which in hindsight, was a mistake. Later on I restricted myself to not landing probes on vacuum bodies, because indeed that is still very very hard even in 2021 with earth tech!

Edited by eddiew

I started with 0.18 I think, and I'd have to say that 0.9x still holds significant nostalgia for me.  With no real aero model and all those massless-therefore-dragless parts, you could get away with the most ridiculous designs. Those were the days! I had this ion/Rapier-powered space motorcycle that could take off vertically and then single-stage it to just about anywhere and back. Made made mostly out of massless struts and positively plastered with massless OX-Stat panels, it flew with the most improbable efficiency. The same ship would be a total disaster today.

Mine favourite old version would be 1.4 since it is the latest version that supported Gameslinx's Planet Pack, and I found out that you can use newer part mods, such as ReStock, on older versions with almost no problems.

My Favorite would have to be 0.16 which was the first paid version i got, simply for Nostalgia reasons. I remember flying my first attempt at a Mun landing, which i did actually accomplish probably because i was watching so many vids by Scott and TheWinterOwl at that time.  And because i was flying a lot of beanpole Rockets around the Mun when i was playing the free versions.

4 hours ago, Canopus said:

My Favorite would have to be 0.16 which was the first paid version i got, simply for Nostalgia reasons. I remember flying my first attempt at a Mun landing, which i did actually accomplish probably because i was watching so many vids by Scott and TheWinterOwl at that time.  And because i was flying a lot of beanpole Rockets around the Mun when i was playing the free versions.

I have fond memories of 0.16 as well, its also my first non-demo version of KSP I got. I remember getting my first 'orbit' in that version, which was extremely eccentric and still sort of dipped into the atmosphere.

My favorite version is 0.18, it added some pretty essential features like docking, unmanned probes, electricity, a more much better resource system, maneuver nodes and much more. Also, that version changed the brightly colored and cartoony aesthetic to a darker/low saturated 'realistic' aesthetic. I think 0.18 was the version that started the slow transformation into what KSP is today. 

0.90 by a long shot, followed closely by the 1st iteration of 1.0.

Reason for that is that 0.90 had some of the best performance (before the multicoreing at least), and i still keep it around for those rare times im in the mood to relive tey  glory days where SSTOs were about as sci-fi as you could get (airhogging really let you do some crazy stuff with but a single jet engine).  that, and arguably the multicore made collisions alot less fun to deal with (0.90 had barely any "phasing", modern version its like a 30% chance that a high velocity missile will just pass thru the target vessel entirely).

1.0 purely because they came out with aero that felt really fun.  I cant speak as to how authentic it was, but there was 0 soup in that version, you could get a single rapier craft up to like 2km/sec at sea level within 30 seconds (it would obviously explode cause of heat but the acceleration and overall performance of every plane was incredible and drag was minimal).  I also fondly remember trying to aerobrake every which way at laythe with a variety of SSTLs and eventually leanred (after like 100s of quickloads) that it couldnt be done without exploits (namely nullifying heat via antennas).

All the other versions were ok, but not worth keeping around since they werent better then the current one, and anything pre 0.90 didnt have very good performance in it at least based on what i remember from those days (and there were alot of bugs, like lots, orbital drag, phantom forces, krakens galore, you name it)...

For me it has to be 1.2 - Loud & Clear - which give us communications networks.  Even though I screamed myself hoarse at times when I lost contact with some vessel because I hadn't allowed for maintaining communications, it was still a fine update.

I also added mods to this version, and thanks to luck more than skill, those I added combined perfectly to make the game an absolute gem to play.  Indeed I still play this one quite a lot, even though it's missing much of what's in the modern versions.

With mixed feelings, considering 1.12.x is the last major update we're going to get, I still have to say 1.3.1.

It's the best performing version, and I can keep it running throughout an entire day (or night, most often) of continuous editing, testing, and reverting, without problems. Not a single update after that will run for longer than an hour or two of that before performance severely degrades, graphics start glitching, screen freezes, or the whole thing outright crashes to desktop.

Yes, a lot of QoL has been added since then. And it'll be grand to finally have a 'stable' (as in no longer changing) version that the community can try to fix up as best as possible, allowing mods to stabilize too. I just had the -admittedly very thin by now- hope that the final official update would be a serious effort at polishing and finishing the pile of half-implemented or less-than-optimally-working things still left in the game. I really, really wanted 1.3.1 to get a proper successor.

My motto for the past few years has been 'Maybe the next version.'  Time for it to become 'Bring on the UKLEP (Unofficial KSP Last Edition Patch)'. Maybe then I can finally retire 1.3.1.

6 minutes ago, Rhode_Enterprise_By-Matt said:

Wow, I'm very glad that I was nominated for TOTM! My thread has recently received a ton more responses, so thank you!  The idea of "celebrating" old KSP versions became important to me with the final KSP update celebrating 10 Years. I never expected this thread to be a TOTM, so thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.