KSP Speed Run

1 hour ago, minerbat said:

how can you even speedrun a game with no goal?

I know @Cunjo Carl did a fantastic speed run a couple of years ago. He defined that visiting all bodies as a main goal of the speed run. I think he did a normal career game. He did in in 8 hours or so.

It was a very cool challenge as it forces you to design and fly all vessels in a complete different way! :)

14 minutes ago, xendelaar said:

wow! i just skimmed through your video. but i really want to learn those exploits you're talking about. very impressive

Thank you! The main tech to know about is the landing leg drive (k-drive) and KAL exploit. With those two you can get crazy (and basically unlimited) acceleration even from a relatively early game state, reducing the challenge to a matter of choosing which planets to visit in the most efficient order... Sadly the guy who followed me did so *very* efficiently, shaving about 50 minutes off my time, and I just don't have the time or dedication to see if I can find a way of matching, let alone beating, that...

Recently. Ahh kids these days. History only reaches as far back as they can look up on Youtube.

Despite what some highly retconned Wikipedia articles may tell you, speedruns were invented in the gaming 'community' about five seconds after the first gathering of gamers finished a regular run of the first computer game with an ending, for the second time in a row.

Spoiler

"HA! In your face! Finished faster!"

"Oh yeah?? Hold my drink! Gimme that joystick!"

"Heyyyy... it's MY turn to try first."

"MOOOOOOOM! They're fighting over the joystick, they're gonna break it!"

"You ALL get to have your turn, play nice kids! Don't make me come down there."

<mocking voice> "Mooooom. Pffft."

"Will you two shut up and let me concentrate?"

(Ahem. Never mind.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.